What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seu Seu shines in dark

BG

Juniors
http://www.smh.com.au/news/league/seu-seu-shines-in-the-dark/2007/03/04/1172943276890.html

IT WASN'T just the quality of lighting at Cessnock Sports Ground that made this a relatively dark night for Newcastle. Andrew Johns's late withdrawal - putting him in doubt for round one - and a lackadaisical display for 75 of the 80 minutes made sure Knights coach Brian Smith was using words like "disappointed" and "embarrassing" post-match rather than confident and uplifting. But there was one portion of the Knights' 12-10 win over Cronulla on Saturday night which gave him renewed hope for the season.
Hooker Terence Seu Seu shone far brighter than the humble floodlights at the ground and, according to Smith, may well have played himself into the Knights' squad for round one. "He's a player, that boy," Smith said.
And coincidentally, he almost is still a boy.
Seu Seu, who says former Kiwi prop Jerry Seu Seu is "apparently" his grandfather's nephew (although he hasn't met him), is still 19, and played in the Knights' Jersey Flegg grand final side last season.
But he's about to grow up quick. With Danny Buderus suspended until round four, and regular back-up Luke Quigley picking up an ankle injury, Seu Seu may start against the Bulldogs on March 18.
Asked about Smith's compliment, Seu Seu even managed to turn his star turn into a scene from Jerry Maguire: "That's good news, I have been waiting for him to sign me during the week, too … I come off contract this year and hope to sign up for another couple of years.
"Danny is the number one, he is the one I look up to and watch videos on him … anytime you get to work with the best you can't give up that opportunity. I want to learn from the best and get some more experience. Anything he says goes for me."
It took two Adam Woolnough tries in the final five minutes to give the Knights victory, the prop saying a "tiny little rev-up" at half-time by Smith was the catalyst for his heroics.
Still, Smith admits he has some "sorting out to do" before round one, although he was heartened by the performances of Woolnough, Clint Newton, and his two wingers, James McManus and Akuila Uate.
"At one stage I thought we were going to have to pay the electricity bill before we scored a try," Smith said.
But the win at least counted for something: "There's a truckload of improvement in us, [but] they could have easily parked the bus - at one stage, I was about to park it for them. But they kept fighting."
This was one of those trial situations - not uncommon - when the losing coach is happy and the winning coach is not. Certainly, in the first half, the Sharks were far superior, with Brett Kimmorley pulling the strings with aplomb to give his side a 10-0 buffer.
Sharks coach Ricky Stuart rested his star player for the second half - and by the final quarter most of the players you'd expect to play in round one against Penrith were sitting next to him on the sidelines.
Both sides struggled with ball control, although to be fair the conditions were slippery and night-vision goggles weren't included in the kit bags.
"I spoke to Noddy [Kimmorley] before the game, and said I wanted to get to half-time and be happy with the first 40 minutes, and then I wanted to rest some individuals, and we did that," Stuart said. "We used up 30 players - we used a number of players who were in our Premier League game. It's good for them to get a bit of first-grade experience, because you never know when you're going to need to call upon them. There's improvement there, but we're going forward."
Kimmorley said: "In the first half we played really well. I think we bombed about five or six tries. Even though we haven't scored many points, from what we have shown, we can improve on it."
Both sides emerged relatively unscathed, with Phil Leuluai (ankle) and Craig Stapleton (concussion) Stuart's only concerns. However, he is in the enviable position of still having Paul Gallen, Adam Dykes, David Simmons and Lance Thompson to return.
Smith is similarly blessed, with Buderus and a certain halfback still to play their first matches of 2007. "Whatever it is we start with, it ain't going to be the same within two or three weeks, you can bet your life," Smith said. They may not have night vision, but at least someone's got Knight vision.
IT WASN'T just the quality of lighting at Cessnock Sports Ground that made this a relatively dark night for Newcastle. Andrew Johns's late withdrawal - putting him in doubt for round one - and a lackadaisical display for 75 of the 80 minutes made sure Knights coach Brian Smith was using words like "disappointed" and "embarrassing" post-match rather than confident and uplifting. But there was one portion of the Knights' 12-10 win over Cronulla on Saturday night which gave him renewed hope for the season.
Hooker Terence Seu Seu shone far brighter than the humble floodlights at the ground and, according to Smith, may well have played himself into the Knights' squad for round one. "He's a player, that boy," Smith said.
And coincidentally, he almost is still a boy.
Seu Seu, who says former Kiwi prop Jerry Seu Seu is "apparently" his grandfather's nephew (although he hasn't met him), is still 19, and played in the Knights' Jersey Flegg grand final side last season.
But he's about to grow up quick. With Danny Buderus suspended until round four, and regular back-up Luke Quigley picking up an ankle injury, Seu Seu may start against the Bulldogs on March 18.
Asked about Smith's compliment, Seu Seu even managed to turn his star turn into a scene from Jerry Maguire: "That's good news, I have been waiting for him to sign me during the week, too … I come off contract this year and hope to sign up for another couple of years.
"Danny is the number one, he is the one I look up to and watch videos on him … anytime you get to work with the best you can't give up that opportunity. I want to learn from the best and get some more experience. Anything he says goes for me."
It took two Adam Woolnough tries in the final five minutes to give the Knights victory, the prop saying a "tiny little rev-up" at half-time by Smith was the catalyst for his heroics.
Still, Smith admits he has some "sorting out to do" before round one, although he was heartened by the performances of Woolnough, Clint Newton, and his two wingers, James McManus and Akuila Uate.
"At one stage I thought we were going to have to pay the electricity bill before we scored a try," Smith said.
But the win at least counted for something: "There's a truckload of improvement in us, [but] they could have easily parked the bus - at one stage, I was about to park it for them. But they kept fighting."
This was one of those trial situations - not uncommon - when the losing coach is happy and the winning coach is not. Certainly, in the first half, the Sharks were far superior, with Brett Kimmorley pulling the strings with aplomb to give his side a 10-0 buffer.
Sharks coach Ricky Stuart rested his star player for the second half - and by the final quarter most of the players you'd expect to play in round one against Penrith were sitting next to him on the sidelines.
Both sides struggled with ball control, although to be fair the conditions were slippery and night-vision goggles weren't included in the kit bags.
"I spoke to Noddy [Kimmorley] before the game, and said I wanted to get to half-time and be happy with the first 40 minutes, and then I wanted to rest some individuals, and we did that," Stuart said. "We used up 30 players - we used a number of players who were in our Premier League game. It's good for them to get a bit of first-grade experience, because you never know when you're going to need to call upon them. There's improvement there, but we're going forward."
Kimmorley said: "In the first half we played really well. I think we bombed about five or six tries. Even though we haven't scored many points, from what we have shown, we can improve on it."
Both sides emerged relatively unscathed, with Phil Leuluai (ankle) and Craig Stapleton (concussion) Stuart's only concerns. However, he is in the enviable position of still having Paul Gallen, Adam Dykes, David Simmons and Lance Thompson to return.
Smith is similarly blessed, with Buderus and a certain halfback still to play their first matches of 2007. "Whatever it is we start with, it ain't going to be the same within two or three weeks, you can bet your life," Smith said. They may not have night vision, but at least someone's got Knight vision.

roopy

Referee
Terrence has an amazing attitude.
In 2005 he started the season as fullback in Flegg and kept Wooden on the bench, but after 4 or 5 rounds he did his knee bigtime - a full reconstruction - which would have put anyone else out for the season.
At the end of the season i was amazed to see him named on the wing for Flegg - and i was actually at the ground waiting for the gates to open and got talking to a guy who turned out to be Terrence's dad who was there with a few other young sons and was there to see Terrence play for the first time (he was injured himself and was able to come because he was missing a game for Kurri Kurri where he is a firstgrader).
Anyway, I asked him about Terrence's injury. He seemed very embaressed that i knew about his son's battle with injury, but told me how Terrence went to rehab every day and was totally committed to getting back on the park.
Terrence played like a busted arse that day. After the first tackle he was hobbling around like he needed crutches - but he never pulled out of a tackle and had to be dragged off the field because he wasn't putting up his hand. I think i wrote after the game that it was stupid to let the guy play - but he probably hasseled the coach to let him play and bluffed his way through training to get on the field.
Last year we had a great Flegg side, but the year before we had a very handy hooker named Nathan Berry who decided to drop out of the squad late - so we started 2006 without one decent hooker (they called up a kid from Lakes united) - but in the trials Terrence put his hand up to play hooker - and pretty much found his niche in life.
I don't think it can be understated how important it was that Rip Taylor was the coach - because Rip loves guys who want to dominate by any means possible - and he unleashed the little pit bull with a licence to rip in and not worry about penalties etc.
Referrees hate Terrence. He obviously has a mouth on him, because refs are always calling him out for chats for no obvious reason - but i'd say it is all about sledging the opposition.
He is dirty. He is mean. He is the little guy who you would have to kill if you got in a fight with because he would keep getting back up till he won or you killed him.

roopy

Referee
Sorry - he played fullback in Ball at the start of 2005 - but was on the wing in Flegg with his busted knee at the end of the season.

Stuzmeister

Juniors
Good to see our young guys are getting the praise they need to build up the confidence for first grade. Can't wait to see him play in round 1.

Big Tim

First Grade
It will be great for Terrence to get a shot as he was a star last year.

It will also be a big boost for all his Flegg team mates from last year. Shows that if you put the effort in, and a spot opens up in your position Smith will look to the juniors, not play a FG player out of position.

Newcastle is a great place to be if you are young and want a shot at the big time.

Cant wait to see Terrence in the run on squad.

With Smithy as his mentor along with Danny the kid could be anything. He has mongrel and cockiness, something we have been missing for years. It will be worth the price of admission to see him giving it to Mason deluxe.

Ben

Bench
I remember watching the Flegg grand final and i remember a little player pulling off some big hits. Was it Seu Seu? If i sound like a complete idiot who doesnt know what he is talking about just ignore me lol

roopy

Referee
Ben said:
I remember watching the Flegg grand final and i remember a little player pulling off some big hits. Was it Seu Seu? If i sound like a complete idiot who doesnt know what he is talking about just ignore me lol
yes - he was the youngest player in the side and had the biggest game.

Latest posts