What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SG Ball and Harold Matthews results

The only problem with the NSWRL Facebook live streaming is the comments area- inundated with these posts to links to live junior league games - seem to all come from India by the names of the folk posting them -so it's hard to post or read comments from folk watching the games. I understand they can't live stream all games

Also the NSWRL site for score updates you can see via the draw and results is woeful - scores not updated in real time and sometimes it even shows an earlier game time and score when you refresh it from the one you originally viewed.

Surely they can fix the above up - block these posters and fix the score updates.

jackyboi90

Juniors
A bit more info on some of the junior rep games today folks via George Dragon.

SG Ball: St George went down 22-20, good performances from Tyree Bowman who bagged a double. Skipper and half Nicholas Quinn show good maturity and leadership. Overall good effort by the lads.
Illawarra got up 34-18. Lock Travis Barrett was very good. Tough and incisive runs, hard hitting in defence. The Couchman bros were good as well. Ryan bagged a double. Fairly scrappy win, but good to be 2/2.

Matt's Cup: St George beat Canberra 32-18. Malik Amine was classy with a couple of tries. Corey Ackers, Manase Feiloakitau and Finau Latu all put in fine performances in the forward pack.
Illawarra got a trouncing from the CC Roosters. 26-0. Not too many positives. Hearing a few of the Andrew Johns Cup boys will get a spot next game.

Tarsha Gale Cup:
Illawarra made it 2/2 with a 22-4 win over Cronulla. Classy performances from Sian Allen, Mackenzie Lear and April Stevens. An important win with lots of commitment shown.
St George knocked over Canberra 32-20. A hatrick went to Luisa Yaranamua who was a standout. Etheridge, Boyce & Westaway also scored tries. Dragons start the year at 2-0.

Jeremy Dragon

Juniors

SG Ball: St George went down 22-20, good performances from Tyree Bowman who bagged a double. Skipper and half Nicholas Quinn show good maturity and leadership. Overall good effort by the lads.
Illawarra got up 34-18. Lock Travis Barrett was very good. Tough and incisive runs, hard hitting in defence. The Couchman bros were good as well. Ryan bagged a double. Fairly scrappy win, but good to be 2/2.

Matt's Cup: St George beat Canberra 32-18. Malik Amine was classy with a couple of tries. Corey Ackers, Manase Feiloakitau and Finau Latu all put in fine performances in the forward pack.
Illawarra got a trouncing from the CC Roosters. 26-0. Not too many positives. Hearing a few of the Andrew Johns Cup boys will get a spot next game.

Tarsha Gale Cup:
Illawarra made it 2/2 with a 22-4 win over Cronulla. Classy performances from Sian Allen, Mackenzie Lear and April Stevens. An important win with lots of commitment shown.
St George knocked over Canberra 32-20. A hatrick went to Luisa Yaranamua who was a standout. Etheridge, Boyce & Westaway also scored tries. Dragons start the year at 2-0.
Great info
Is that an unofficial George uodate

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
no won’t happen, they are 2 seperate squads and train separately (including all pre season).

The Johns squad is only 16 year olds and they all missed out on Matts selection, pretty sure not a single Johns squad member was in Matt’s summer squad of 50 or so (then cut to 29 or so).

Additionally you can only pick a side from your squad, (none that play in the Johns side).

jackyboi90

Juniors
Ah
no won’t happen, they are 2 seperate squads and train separately (including all pre season).

The Johns squad is only 16 year olds and they all missed out on Matts selection, pretty sure not a single Johns squad member was in Matt’s summer squad of 50 or so (then cut to 29 or so).

Additionally you can only pick a side from your squad, (none that play in the Johns side).
Ah ok. Thanks for that.
my mail must have been incorrect. My apologies

Jeremy Dragon

Juniors

There's several players in the Sth Coast side that were in Steelers squad & played trials this year Trey Barlow started last year in sth Coast side and played for steelers in GF there hs Been others too

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
There's several players in the Sth Coast side that were in Steelers squad & played trials this year Trey Barlow started last year in sth Coast side and played for steelers in GF there hs Been others too
Barlow was part of the Steelers SG ball squad last year and started the year there as the starting 7 as opposed to the Laurie Daley side (opposite to what you said) …..

He played a few games there before playing in the Laurie Daley side in round 5 …so technically he was “dropped” (future team lists give a potential indication why). He was playing up an age. He was not promoted from the country side to the NRL rep side. He then finished the year back in SG ball.

I admit I am not sure on the rules for players dropping back during the season. However can you provide any examples of players being promoted from the country sides (never named in the matt / SG squads) into the rep sides ?

It is possible players did make the Steelers junior reps pre season then didn’t make the final squad or the starting side so are playing in the country sides (but don’t think there is any this year in the johns side, there may be some in the Laurie Daley side )….

Additionally all the best 16 year olds are already in the Matt’s squad (eg Buchanan, Reed, Meafou, Kirk, Feagai etc etc ) so doubt they would even try to promote any more 16 year olds when there is already another 20 or so players that did the Matt’s pre season but didn’t make the final squad if they are desperate

anyhow happy to be corrected, just commenting on what my understanding is….

BTW there is few 2021 johns players now in the matt’s side, starting with the 7 and 9….

update - see post below

Last edited:

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Ah

Ah ok. Thanks for that.
my mail must have been incorrect. My apologies
My apologies, players can be promoted across the teams:

“Where there is an agreed/ approved portability (by the NSWRL), players may move between the competitions as long as they adhere to the age limit criteria. Note that Finals Series eligibility will determine where a player is able to play (13.12.2)”

But I can’t see if happening as the squads are already in place. And haven’t seen any recent examples (happy to be corrected)

sorry again

Willow

Assistant Moderator

“Where there is an agreed/ approved portability (by the NSWRL), players may move between the competitions as long as they adhere to the age limit criteria. Note that Finals Series eligibility will determine where a player is able to play (13.12.2)”

But I can’t see if happening as the squads are already in place. And haven’t seen any recent examples (happy to be corrected)

sorry again
It's all good Josh. Thanks for the clarification. Look forward to your next update.

And thanks to @jackyboi90 for posting and keeping the ball rolling. This forum is about bringing people together.

qld redvee

Juniors

Tarsha Gale Cup:
Jacky, thanks for info -- pass onto George for us .... we miss his postings !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jeremy Dragon

Juniors

sorry again
I see Aston Ward has been promoted to Steelers SG side after playing 2 games fir sth Coast

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I see Aston Ward has been promoted to Steelers SG side after playing 2 games fir sth Coast

Ward was part of the Steelers SG ball summer squad of 50 or so and made the final cut to be in Steelers SG ball squad of 26.

He just hasn’t been picked in the SG side.

As per my previous point generally only players in the squad are picked. Happy to corrected if you have an example of a player not in the NRL rep squads being promoted from the country side.

Quine, Piccirilli are others playing in the country side but in the SG ball squad.

Last edited: