What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SG Ball and Harold Matthews results

Nich

Juniors
St.George teams from U13 to A Grade are already combined with Cronulla. Just as strong as the Illawarra comp. There is no need to send kids, say living at Arncliffe, to train & play 1.5 hours away a few days each week.
The 2 best teams in the cronulla a grade have joined the Illawarra Comp. Shire and St George comps don't come close to Illawarra at the moment.

Rod Coil

Juniors
The 2 best teams in the cronulla a grade have joined the Illawarra Comp. Shire and St George comps don't come close to Illawarra at the moment.
That’s A grade. There’s no argument there. I would disagree regarding the junior reps age groups.

In terms of those teams going south, that has been forced on them by the NSWRL who have pretty much abandoned major competition under Jersey Flagg & KOE. There’s plenty of angst shared about that on other threads in LU.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
St.George based kids that have have jagged a contract are being forced to play in the Illawarra comp this year. Says it all as to where the focus is!!
I wouId be surprised if any st George junior with a contract is force to play in the Illawarra comp…especially if as you mentioned St George has a merged junior comp the Sharks..so what ever signed junior has a comp to play it…

I haven’t heard of any matt’s plays still in juniors being forced to play in the Illawarra Comp.

what’s the example ??without names, what age?

denis preston

First Grade
Again , pathways is about identifying talent and opening up positions for them through their development. With Sullivan & Amone this kid's manager obviously couldn't see an opportunity in the next 4 years at least. What we are trying to prevent is scenarios like when the Stewart Bros went to Manly. Perhaps more informed formites can explain how the bloody hell that happened all those years ago ?

Rod Coil

Juniors
I wouId be surprised if any st George junior with a contract is force to play in the Illawarra comp…especially if as you mentioned St George has a merged junior comp the Sharks..so what ever signed junior has a comp to play it…

I haven’t heard of any matt’s plays still in juniors being forced to play in the Illawarra Comp.

what’s the example ??without names, what age?
NSWRL transfer policy has kiboshed the idiotic plan for the time being. But still a lot of manoeuvring behind the scenes.

Trifili13

Juniors
Again , pathways is about identifying talent and opening up positions for them through their development. With Sullivan & Amone this kid's manager obviously couldn't see an opportunity in the next 4 years at least. What we are trying to prevent is scenarios like when the Stewart Bros went to Manly. Perhaps more informed formites can explain how the bloody hell that happened all those years ago ?
I could be wrong but heard Dragon's wanted Brett but not Glenn and the brothers wanted to play together and Manly was happy to take both.

Dragon David

First Grade
I could be wrong but heard Dragon's wanted Brett but not Glenn and the brothers wanted to play together and Manly was happy to take both.
I've heard/read this as well way back some time ago. I know the Morris brothers started their junior days with the Dragons and we know that the Dragons wanted to keep Brett and Josh left and went to the Bulldogs. I think that the Dragons should have tried to get Josh back at the Dragons to keep Brett but like it happened with the Stewart brothers, the Dragons didn't want Josh so Brett joined him at the Bulldogs.

Hopefully it doesn't happen to the Feagai brothers.

denis preston

First Grade
Ill answer my question and confirm others :

The loyalty the Stewart boys have for each other is both refreshing and amazing.

Both are products of Western Suburbs in Wollongong and both expected to play grade for the St George Illawarra.

But the Dragons were keen on Brett but not eager to sign Glenn. The brothers had made a pact with their parents Barry and Narelle that it was both or none.

Enter Manly and the Stewart boys left Wollongong to play junior representative football with the Sea Eagles in a package deal.

And when one player discusses his contract it is done with the understanding that both brothers sign for the same period.

Manly have never had a problem with that stipulation - lengthy bright futures are tipped for both boys.

This is a furphy. De La have joined the Mojo Homes Cup, which is part of NSWRL’s One State Strategic Plan. They still have a team in the CSJRL A-Grade competition. The Mojo cup is a higher grade competition.