What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SG Ball and Harold Matthews results

Dragon David

First Grade

Enforcer’ Leeroy Weatherall hunting Harold Matthews Cup glory with Illawarra Steelers on back of breakout 2023 season​

He’s the younger brother of an NRLW star who’s looking to pave his own path to the top flight with the Illawarra Steelers. Meet emerging enforcer Leeroy Weatherall and see why you should keep an eye on him.

Kevin Merrigan
Follow

3 min read
December 1, 2023 - 9:35AM
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom
0 comments
Leeroy Weatherall of the Illawarra Steelers. Photo: Allan Barry
Leeroy Weatherall of the Illawarra Steelers. Photo: Allan Barry
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/n.../ca8dad8117b5ce7cd2f1ce57c5653a9e#share-tools
Last year Leeroy Weatherall was playing a year young in his first dose of Illawarra Steelers junior rep footy, operating mostly off the bench as an impact substitute.
This year, he’s returning for a second stint of Harold Matthews Cup footy and ready to take the competition by storm with a refreshed attitude and sense of responsibility.
“I’m looking forward to leading the boys this year,” Weatherall said.
“I know that feeling of playing while being a year young, so now it’s my job to look after those boys, get them ready and prepared for the year ahead.”
Weatherall has always been footy-mad, not really having much of a choice in the matter, with his whole family playing the game.
Leeroy Weatherall of the Illawarra Steelers. Picture: Supplied
He’s the younger brother of Dragons NRLW forward Maddison Weatherall, who also came through the Illawarra Steelers system, captaining the Tarsha Gale Cup squad to a premiership in 2019, before making her NRLW debut the same year.
“She gives me a lot of motivation to keep going,” Weatherall said about his sister.
“She trains so hard and keeps doing what she loves and that’s got her to where she is today.
“It’s definitely good to know I’m in the right place with the Steelers to potentially get to the top level.”
Maddison Weatherall in action for the Dragons in the NRLW. (AAP Image/Joel Carrett)
Maddison Weatherall in action for the Dragons

“It’s one of the reasons we utilised him off the bench, to develop him and get him ready for a main man role this season,” McDonald said.

“He came with a bit of a reputation as an enforcer on the field.
“I see a future in the front row, however he’s fairly versatile, he’s got a good passing game and good vision with the footy that could see him go on the edge or back row.
“I think his biggest impact moving forward will be through the middle though, getting his team on the front foot and leading in defence as well.
“We’re super happy with his progress, he’s one to keep an eye on for sure.”
Leeroy Weatherall represented City under-16s in 2023. Picture: Bryden Sharp

Leeroy Weatherall represented City under-16s in 2023. Picture: Bryden Sharp
On the back of a stellar maiden Harold Matthews Cup campaign, Weatherall was called up to the City under-16s side to take on Country in May, once again operating off the bench.
“That was a great experience, it was my first getaway with a rep team, all the boys were great and we were treated really well,” Weatherall said.

Returning to club footy with the Devils, Weatherall was able to ride the confidence wave of his representative exposure, steering his side to a minor premiership before eventually being crowned their player of the year.

“He matured and learned a lot from his rep season, that’s why we made him one of our captains,” Devils under-16s coach Brad Reh said.

“The size of him and the sheer strength is what causes oppositions trouble, he leads the way through action.
“I think lock suits him best, he likes being in the middle and in the action. But he can run a good line and be lethal out wide from an edge as well.”

While it’s up in the air as to where Weatherall will be lining up on the field this season, no doubt the youngster is set to return to Harold Matthews rep footy with a bang in Steelers colours.

“I’m confident about the season, I couldn’t say there’s a person in our team that’s lazy, everyone’s giving 100%, showing up early and doing the extras,” Weatherall said.
“I’m just trying to better myself everyday, make a name for the Steelers here, keep working hard and hopefully make the NRL one day.”
Thanks for posting redV06.

Jeremy Dragon

Juniors
Do you have any information about any of the team's Flegg summer squad lists
FLEGG
Wes Pring
Ethan Cliff
Cain Barnes
Jacob Haeata
Jack Piccirilli
Campbell Watchirs
Will Starling
Ben Lavender
Ashton Ward
Nick Quinn
Riley Pascoe
Dylan Asanoski
Kye Wright
Jack Quine
Kyan Hyjaltason
Nash Hooper
Trey Barlow
Travis Barrett Hancock
Callum Liekvoll
Toby Miller
Campbell Rubie
Matthew Alhazim
Ethan Arena
Carlos Pauli
Rumble
Egan
Tsougranis
Webster
Liu
Stewart

CUP Squad
Bryce Magnone,
Declan Purcell,
Cooper Roberts ,
Ben Johnson,
Phoenix Vetenibua-Finnerty
Haele Finau,
Tom Freebairn,
Levi Pascoe
Kristian Williams

ALX25

Bench
Good luck to all at the first trials. Hopefully an earlier start time can occur to benefit all during the extreme heat.

Posted by both sides on their respective Facebook Pages.

9AM Lisa Fiaola Steelers vs Dragons
10.30AM Tarsha Gale Steelers vs Dragons
12PM Andrew Johns ISC Dragons vs Sharks
1.30PM HM Steelers vs Dragons
3PM Laurie Daley ISC Dragons vs Sharks
4.30PM SG Ball Steelers vs Dragons

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
If anybody attends, would love an update or even team lists etc

JUNIOR REPRESENTATIVE FIXTURES​

When: Saturday, December 9th

Where: Centenary Field, Albion Park

• 9:00am Lisa Fiaola Cup (Illawarra Steelers vs. St George Dragons)
  • 10:00am Tarsha Gale Cup (Illawarra Steelers vs. St George Dragons)
  • 4:00pm Laurie Daley Cup (Illawarra South Coast Dragons vs. Sharks)
  • 5:15pm Andrew Johns Cup (Illawarra South Coast Dragons vs. Sharks)
  • 6:30pm Harold Matthews Cup (Illawarra Steelers vs. St George Dragons)
  • 7:45pm SG Ball Cup (Illawarra Steelers vs. St George Dragons)

TheRev

First Grade
Someone just posted this article, apparently we have a new coach for the Illawarra HM side:

He said that out west, they get genuine props from an early age, but here everyone is sort of the same body athletic body type and more customisable.. its an interest observation.. Couchmans r probably good examples, not a typical prop shape.

mightydragon

Juniors
Someone just posted this article, apparently we have a new coach for the Illawarra HM side:

He said that out west, they get genuine props from an early age, but here everyone is sort of the same body athletic body type and more customisable.. its an interest observation.. Couchmans r probably good examples, not a typical prop shape.
Scissor is a good fella. He was a very handy player too. He will go well. He was a member of Western Suburbs winning SG Ball team in 2002. Plenty of good footballers in the team:

Ryan Borg
Matthew Brinkworth
Dean Collis
Ryan Crook
Anthony Dalton
Isaac De Gois
Liam Fulton
Bryce Gibbs
Andrew Hampson
Ryan Hoffman
Albert Hopoate
Peter Lett
Aaron Longmore
John Manu
Clayton Parkyns
Joshua Phillips
Abraham Pritchard
Benjamin Roberts
Aaron Sweeney
Jamie Szczerbanik
Josh Tonga
Nathan Waters

Dragon David

First Grade
Nice read, thanks getsmarty.

I like that - "He's got a great frame, plenty of growth left in him. All his key indicators, at the moment through our high performance, are being hit. We wanted to reward him. He's just one of a lot of forwards we've got coming through at the moment that we're really excited about."

Kyle Stanley is well thought of and a very decent person. Being Cyrus' uncle I'm sure that Kyle gets plenty of respect from his nephew and many more of the young guys coming through the grades.

I didn't know that Ian Millward is currently the Recruitment Director at the Dragons. I thought that Shane Millard was head of Recruitment?

Anyway, it really looks like the young ones that are coming through will be our future champions, I hope.

getsmarty

Immortal
Nice read, thanks getsmarty.

I like that - "He's got a great frame, plenty of growth left in him. All his key indicators, at the moment through our high performance, are being hit. We wanted to reward him. He's just one of a lot of forwards we've got coming through at the moment that we're really excited about."

Kyle Stanley is well thought of and a very decent person. Being Cyrus' uncle I'm sure that Kyle gets plenty of respect from his nephew and many more of the young guys coming through the grades.

I didn't know that Ian Millward is currently the Recruitment Director at the Dragons. I thought that Shane Millard was head of Recruitment?

Anyway, it really looks like the young ones that are coming through will be our future champions, I hope.

Your welcome @Dragon David .

Hopefully more good news soon ;-)

justadragon

Bench
Good to see that finally there is some attention paid to the lower grades, no doubt Flanno has given the word that demands more out of them. In all seriousness there is no way known the Dragons lower grades should have been out of finals contention with the nursery we have, it was disgraceful, I'm expecting a whole change in our performances this year, I will be very disappointed if there isn't a massive improvement.

Latest posts