What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SG Ball and Harold Matthews results

I think Reed just shaded Kikanau, Hammoud and their 5/8 whose name eludes me at the moment. a dead heat. But neither set of halves were earth shattering. Looking forward next week to catching the Quinn/ Ward combo in a full Flegg match. Been following Quinn in dribs and drabs for past three years.
The other half was Craig Fitzgibbon's son. He puts up very high bombs.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
I'm gonna code the players S# or D#. Ok here goes.

SG Ball Notes - FIRST HALF:
o Hammoud included (Dragons 6/Captain), Kade Reed back in also (the halfback), great news.. no King-Togia.
o This is cool seeing the 2 packs compete! No doubt all coaching eyes on them today.
o Kade Reed has some electric footwork I hadnt noticed before, dare I compare him to a young Moses. had some big tackles later in the game also.. good kid.. I likies.
o Langdon (S11) & Smith (S16) strong early. Williams (D5) nicely handled communicating to his centre, defends the steelers set that had a lot of ball on their line early after some penalties.
o Dragons pack has some big boys in Tonga & Latu, Hutchinson off the back of it who looks a bit more like that Martin build than Egan.. good leg energy.
o Tom Kirk S2 a very sharp winger also.. definitely him and Williams the 2 to perhaps push thru to Flegg.
o Beautiful Steelers backline movement.. that the Dragons had covered.. but then Toby Rumble did something I dont thinkn ive ever seen before.. he didnt have room so he sort of swayed to change his line but then keps going.. it was enough to hold the defender for a fraction of a second while he banged it down in the corner.. beautiful.
o Halangahu D11 is a lot bigger than I realised (hes in our 30 next year), unusual body shape for a 2nd rower, big hips maybe like a Fifita.. but hes slow to accelerate like you normally expect from a 2nd rower.. need to see more of him.
o Langdom S11 has had a couple of incidents where he hasnt gotten up.. carried off might be a srs injury.
o I'm in love with Hutchinson D8.. this kid is an amimal.. fast legs.. charges in... snowy white.. fast track him... my spreadsheet says he has no dev contract locked in.. hopefully its just not documented yet..
o TPH gorgeous.. too fast on a spread.. Nachar scores for the dragons.. 4-4.
o Couple of errors from Toby Rumble in his 2nd game.. has cost the Steelers who have otherwise been pretty dominant despite not having the star-studded pack..
o Afu has gone in to make it 8-4, nothing particularly special, Halangahu took a catch and chucked it to TPH who got it to Afu.. TPH seems to be involved in everything the dragons do. Hammoud from the sideline 10-4.
o Ackers D15 out there.. this guy is already in our dev squad for 1st grade... very curious how he managed to get in so fast... watching him he runs hard, and he does throw a late floating ball.. im not sure yet how accurate said pass is it looks both times as if its panicced but its worked..
o A rly strong set from the saints forwards, including 2 runs from Ackers in that set.. the final move came from TPH springint out of dummy half.. pass to Ackers, Ackers chucks one of his floating passes which lands for the centre Craft-Te Moananui to score. 14-4.
o Risiate Smythe D18 is a name ive heard before, massive body, looks like a fridge on legs.. got some good charges and fast play the balls.. but noting that he is in a ridiculous forward pack. Lots of different body types in this forward pack....

SECOND HALF:
o Jesse Williams looks like hes had a word at half time also, charging up field again and again, big contact good footwork great speed...
o Miners the S14 hooker looks like a live-wire, lots of communication, pulled a 1on1 steal, sharp running game.. little slight by hooker standards, but curious to keep an eye on him
o Some of these dragons very young and eager.. a lot of risky passes and offloads.
o Lucas Borg S1 definitely tough little bugger too..takes his bombs and charges.. got some talent and footwork,, tall and fast very lean.. Im in love with TPH but this kid is good too..
o 10 in the bin for Craft-Te Moananui, dumping a player.. wasnt that bad and unlucky given the Steelers did it earlier.. but Dragons down to 12 men.
o Beautiful run down the sideline from the Steelers, should have scored under the dots.. butTPH pinches an intercept and nearly goes the length himself. Toby Rumble has gone on to make 4 errors in this game despite his earlier brilliance.. inexperience really on the last few.
o Really weird putdown over his head after he was short... try for Nachar D2. that should seal the game.
o S17 Tyrone Amone has a really huge frame, looks quite agile.. he didnt get many runs for some reason they kept going to someone else everytime he was there, he has like long affro sort of flowing brown ponytail thing.. i.e. he looks nothing like the other Amones... very unusual looking and I didnt see enough of him to get a good read.. I saw all of 1 good charge thru no fault of his own... would like to see more... obviously S13 Meafou is in everything also.
o Buchanan S3 was a lot smaller than I realised, hes still a hard man, tackles hard.. takes hits.. and seemed to do everything very professionally, but he looks noticeably smaller than many of the others.. not sure if hes younger, hopefully he just has some growing to do. 18-4 Dragons at Full Time.
o Just noticed Jesse Williams was the only guy Buchanan didnt hug at fulltime.. interesting.. maybe nothing... I wonder how much rivalry there is between some of them.

Overall Thoughts:
o Good result I think, keeps both sides with a reasonable chance of finals.. Steelers will be far deadlier once King-Togia gets back, even though Fitzgibbon has an interesting kicking game.
o Dragons a bit blessed with this pack, I think they take it for granted a bit.. its men against boys but they are still very raw and do dumb things to offset the good stuff... Clark the Hooker had plenty of errors also, they might be 1 or 2 players short of being godly as a team.. but the reality is they are no sure thing of making finals.
o I dont know how we will bring all these forwards thru.. lots of body types.. guys like Hikila and Smythy arent even in the conversation with all the stars but they made huge impact today.. we cant develop them all and keep them from getting pinched... there are lots of blokes in that Steelers side also who might get there.. Halangahu for some reason is in our 30 next year, he wasnt really in the Top 6 forwards today for the dragons, he looks like hes still growing into his body... I think it just depends which player managers do the negotiating.
o Surprise-Packets for me today: Reed better than I realised (he 'could' be the real deal) with his footwork, speed, kicking... Borg might push thru to JF because hes bigger than TPH.. very strong in the air also. Smythy could be a cult hero, as could Ackers with that mullet, as will Hutchinson my new fave forward.... Hammoud is an interesting 5/8 prospect also.. fast skillful seems to make good decisions and has time.. but King-Togia is very good once hes fit again I dunno who they will play in JF. Great game to watch though!

Note: Apologies for the length, but it is 2 sides and this is all of our talent coming thru so its really intriguing.
Thanks Rev- I had good intentions to get to Netstrada but it didn't happen- I enjoyed your analysis of the players. This is something of a rarity to have both partners in the top 4- may not happen again for many a year.

TheRev

First Grade
This Sundays SG Ball Teams:
Dragons:
Tyler Peckham-Harris 2. Zachariah Nachar 3. David Afu 4. Lyric Craft-Te Moananui 5. Jesse Williams 6. Shadi Hammoud 7. Brandon Tikinau 8. Ryan Hutchinson 9. Isaiah Fagalilo 10. Loko Jnr Pasifiki Tonga 11. Jacob Halangahu 12. Cyrus Stanley-Traill 13. Finau Latu 14. Angus Clark 15. Corey Ackers 16. Viliami Hikila 17. Risiate Smythe
Up against the Raiders, the Raiders belted Penrith 44-4 2 weeks ago and beat the Warriors on the weekend.. a serious game, the Dragons look full strength though..

Steelers:
Lucas Borg 2. Tom Kirk 3. Hayden Buchanan 4. Clay Baldock 5. Toby Rumble 6. Aaymon Fitzgibbon 7. Kade Reed 8. Isaac Laughton 9. Seth Pearman 10. Viliami Amone 11. Drew Langdon 12. Jarrah Gaia Treweek 13. Daniel Meafou 14. Lincoln Miners 15. Braith Plecas 16. Jackson Smith 17. Tyrone Amone 19. Bailey Marks
Still no King-Togia, is it a serious injury? Unless they wanted to run with Fitzgibbon?

Steelers are facing the 5th place Dogs, who beat the Tiges 42-6 last week and Cronulla 50-18 the weekend before.. this will be one of their biggest tests so far.

Note: I cant help but notice that there are 16 sides and only 9 rounds.. that is hardly a fair draw lol..

Dragon David

First Grade
This Sundays SG Ball Teams:

Up against the Raiders, the Raiders belted Penrith 44-4 2 weeks ago and beat the Warriors on the weekend.. a serious game, the Dragons look full strength though..

Still no King-Togia, is it a serious injury? Unless they wanted to run with Fitzgibbon?

Steelers are facing the 5th place Dogs, who beat the Tiges 42-6 last week and Cronulla 50-18 the weekend before.. this will be one of their biggest tests so far.

Note: I cant help but notice that there are 16 sides and only 9 rounds.. that is hardly a fair draw lol..
That is a preposterous draw TheRev. What stupidity and why in hell would they have such a pitiful arrangement. To me it is not a competition and not worth following, I'm sorry.

In fact, the whole of league leaves a lot to be desired to me now especially when each year comes and goes and the same things keep going on and on. No matter what happens it is the same. New coach - give him time but alas the same lack of success. Be patient, the same lack of success. Then another new coach - give him time and so on.

I'm running out of time and patience I'm afraid and I just cannot see any success coming our way, I just cannot.

Pure negative feelings this morning guys. We all live in hope but this has been dragging on for far too long. Only 2 weeks into the competition and a long way to go. Give it time we say. Is time enough?

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
It's always been 9 weeks, did you just start following it this year.
It's basically a pre season comp for the best players.They can't start it any earlier or finish it later. It ends last week in April, local junior comps start the following week.
No, I have been really ignorant of this competition and have not followed it. Sorry.

Only been interested in the scores and have no idea about the players and how the comp is structured as such.

I know that a lot of you have a wealth of knowledge about these games and I'm more or less reading what you are posting. I don't get out to these games and because there isn't too much shown of the games, I don't know one player from the other so I'll leave it at that and hope I haven't upset anyone with my lack of knowledge.

TheRev

First Grade
It sux that they dont play eachother 1 time each, but end of the day its an opportunity for young players to secure the next spot up.. and there are a finals series so the best teams will play the best teams for the most part.. its just a little harsh on some of the teams.. will be a bit disappointed if the dragons miss out for example :p

randomdragon

Juniors
It's always been 9 weeks, did you just start following it this year.
It's basically a pre season comp for the best players.They can't start it any earlier or finish it later. It ends last week in April, local junior comps start the following week.
so condescending George, I love it!

TheRev

First Grade
I mentioned in the JF/KOE thread that by my calculations the SG ball teams need to win today, and if they dont they will still need to rely on games to go their way and f&a next weekend.. But with really good oppositions today so will not be easy...

Half time in the Steelers match.. they are being absolutely towled up, 0-28 by the dogs... this also destroys any chance of for and against for the finals... this is I suspect their season over,, will do the maths tonight. I was just watching the sailing too, aussies just crashed their boat.. what a really shitty 24hr period of sport.

2nd Half - Steelers first in 28-6, but i dont think anyone is overcoming that sort of lead.. 34-16 now its something but not enough.. sux... doggies now leapfrog them.

Last edited:

TheRev

First Grade
Maths Update: If the Dragons can beat the Raiders (kicking off now), the Steelers are almost certainly in the finals (even if they lose next week).. but we need the Raiders out of the equation...

Note: Hudson Harmer a late inclusion into the Dragons side (hooker on the bench), im not sure if Jesse Williams has shifted sides also.. and they have a kid called Lennox Jensen playing on the other wing.. not sure if thats injury related.. he wasnt in the earlier team list.

Game on.. 18-0 up.. go on with it boys.. big F&A could be crucial.. plus its rly helping ur steelers brothers.... 18-6 for ages now.. this is a rly hard way to follow a football game lol. 24-6.. great job cmon.. 30-6 just before half time.. Hammoud hitting all his conversions.. this is a great result for us. Williams again on the stroke of half time 36-6, if hes playing on his opposite wing.. dead set this kid for me is into cup shortly.. next opportunity when SFinau or Tui are in 1st grade etc.

Last edited:

TheRev

First Grade
if the Dragons dont lock Jesse Williams up. I will be really pissed off, not mentioning it will be the biggest F%$K up ever.
I reckon he needs to go up 2 grades immediately after the SG Finals.. hes no light-weight.. and I dont even know if hes being tested.. need to get him into an NRL Dev contract etc.. which means we might need to clear a spot or 2.