What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sh*t crowd last night..not acceptable!

dimitri

First Grade
Quidgybo said:
The Storm don't get any additional funding from the NRL that the other fifteen clubs don't also get. Each club gets the same annual grant (about $3.4m). Any other grant that the Storm get is coming direct from their owners, News Ltd. In this regard the reliance on such additional grants to prop up the football club isn't that different from Leagues Clubs grants (such as from Queanbeyan) which have been subsidising the top level of the game for the best part of the last fifty years. Without the additional money they'd go under - just like most club's would go under without their Leagues Club's support.

Leigh.

Yes that is correct

(KW)

Juniors
Cranky said:
Nice one numbnuts! We'll move the games to a stadium built for AFL, then we can watch the game from a good 30-40 metres away...

That'll bring the crowds in.

Worked for the Melbourne Victory did it not......

dubby

Bench
Quidgybo said:
The Storm don't get any additional funding from the NRL that the other fifteen clubs don't also get. Each club gets the same annual grant (about $3.4m). Any other grant that the Storm get is coming direct from their owners, News Ltd. In this regard the reliance on such additional grants to prop up the football club isn't that different from Leagues Clubs grants (such as from Queanbeyan) which have been subsidising the top level of the game for the best part of the last fifty years. Without this additional money they'd go under - just like most clubs would go under without their Leagues Club's support.

Leigh.

Dude I realise that, but the other numbskull didnt want to admit it.

But, the Raiders have set up and established these LEagues Clubs over time and they have become pretty successful. If it means the future of our club is secure, then the Football CLub have done their job. Its something a city like Newcastle should have done to back the Knights.

The Cowboys were owned by News (I'm sure they've sold their majority:could be wrong), had a major share in the Broncos too, and kept Melbourne alive for a while now.

Now, I know that News are looking after their investments and best interest by keeping the Storm alive. How long will they continue to do so until uncle Rupert says; Enough!

Its time for the Storm to draw upon their " more valuable image" and everything else that makes them superior to the Raiders :)sarcasm: ) to ensure their place in the game.

I get put out that teams like Perth and the GC were sacrificed years ago and SL created the Storm to put in the NRL. Unlike Melbourne, Perth had a much stronger fan base, corporate support and future than Melbourne could ever hope for. And it was a sacrificial goat to the reconciliation of the ARL and SL (along with the GC).

And for that I am dirty. The once proud state of WA which has a history of the game was set back and all that nearlly died due to that decision. RL is now 4th in WA behind AFL, RU and Soccer. We used to be 2nd.

And it seems pointless to me to try and get the game in Vic upto NRL standards when all the while we ignore a state that once had a tradition and future in RL suffer.

I want RL to blossom in Vic, the truth is I doubt it ever will.

Quidgybo

Bench
dubby said:
Now, I know that News are looking after their investments and best interest by keeping the Storm alive. How long will they continue to do so until uncle Rupert says; Enough!
The detractors have been predicting the imminent demise of the Storm almost continuously since year one. It's become a rather tired cliche. But the fact is the only people in a position to judge whether propping up the Storm is financially justified is News Ltd. And ten years on the Storm are still here, end of story.

Leigh.

dimitri

First Grade
Quidgybo said:
The detractors have been predicting the imminent demise of the Storm almost continuously since year one. It's become a rather tired cliche. But the fact is the only people in a position to judge whether propping up the Storm is financially justified is News Ltd. And ten years on the Storm are still here, end of story.

Leigh.

Excellent Point

dubby

Bench
Quidgybo said:

Leigh.

But the questoin remains; for how long? What happens if News pulls out? Are there any measures to introduce a viable leagues club (or whatever) to prop up the footy side if News decides to leave?

dimitri

First Grade
dubby said:
But the questoin remains; for how long? What happens if News pulls out? Are there any measures to introduce a viable leagues club (or whatever) to prop up the footy side if News decides to leave?

what happens to all the other clubs if news pulls out

at the moment the storm have 6000 members and a lot of corporate support 'propping' them up

Ice777

Bench
dubby said:
Unlike Melbourne, Perth had a much stronger fan base, corporate support and future than Melbourne could ever hope for. And it was a sacrificial goat to the reconciliation of the ARL and SL (along with the GC).

Yep, Perth had a much stronger fan base :sarcasm:

1995: 13,390
1996: 8,262
1997: 8,981

*Cue the Perth has a smaller population, they had less success, the SL war etc etc etc arguments*

Now, the sooner you stop sooking like a little bitch and come to terms with the fact that the Storm are here to stay the better off you'll be. Another thing, how would you have any way of knowing that Perth had more corporate support than the Storm? Feel free to quote a source.

I won't even touch your remark about Perth having a stronger future that the Storm could ever hope for because that's pure speculation, opinion and just plain guessing.

miccle

Bench
Aside from the Storm's overall figures, keep in mind that, what, over 4,000 people are members? I believe I read that earlier this year and, if that's the case, that's just incredible. That's akin to Brisbane having 17,000+ members based on crowd figure ratios alone.

Whilst it might still be a "small" crowd figure each week (but rarely the lowest in a round these days), keep in mind just how passionate and large their core group of fans is, and remember that the situation is always improving.

The Storm will be around for good, and RL will continue to go from strength to strength. It was never, ever going to happen overnight.

Dani

Immortal
miccle said:
Aside from the Storm's overall figures, keep in mind that, what, over 4,000 people are members? I believe I read that earlier this year and, if that's the case, that's just incredible. That's akin to Brisbane having 17,000+ members based on crowd figure ratios alone.

Whilst it might still be a "small" crowd figure each week (but rarely the lowest in a round these days), keep in mind just how passionate and large their core group of fans is, and remember that the situation is always improving.

The Storm will be around for good, and RL will continue to go from strength to strength. It was never, ever going to happen overnight.

I you weren't a Broncos fan i'd ask you to marry me.

dubby

Bench
Ice777 said:
Yep, Perth had a much stronger fan base :sarcasm:

1995: 13,390
1996: 8,262
1997: 8,981

*Cue the Perth has a smaller population, they had less success, the SL war etc etc etc arguments*

Now, the sooner you stop sooking like a little bitch and come to terms with the fact that the Storm are here to stay the better off you'll be. Another thing, how would you have any way of knowing that Perth had more corporate support than the Storm? Feel free to quote a source.

I won't even touch your remark about Perth having a stronger future that the Storm could ever hope for because that's pure speculation, opinion and just plain guessing.

You just want to call insults and continue to beleive that I am anti Storm.

I am not.

please feel free to read my posts again to understand my points. As soon as you want to play grown ups, lets talk again.

dimitri

First Grade
miccle said:

That's not correct

The Storm had approx 4000 in 2006

This year they have over 6000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Lets face it aside from 1/2 a dozen clubs all NRL crowds are dire. At least Melbourne have an excuse that they are in enemy territory, I am unsure what most of the Sydney clubs excuses are? (aside from its raining)

dimitri

First Grade
Perth Red said:
Lets face it aside from 1/2 a dozen clubs all NRL crowds are dire. At least Melbourne have an excuse that they are in enemy territory, I am unsure what most of the Sydney clubs excuses are? (aside from its raining)

TRUE

A SH!T CROWD IS NOT 10,000 AT OLYMPIC PARK

A SH!T CROWD IS 6,494 AT SHARK PARK ON A FRIDAY NIGHT!!!!!!!!!!

A MATCH WHICH WAS TALKED UP THROUGH THE MEDIA ALL WEEK AGAINST MANLY!

DISGRACE

Dakink

Bench
dimitri said:
TRUE

DISGRACE

Not a truer word spoke,

sooner the Scum pack up and move to Gosford the better.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
dimitri said:
TRUE

DISGRACE

Unacceptable.

It looked smaller than 6494 too.

Mr Saab

Referee
Thats as low as it gets. 6500 people @ shark park.
Almost as low as they inbreds on the hill wiggling their fingers.

dimitri

First Grade
Dakink said:
Not a truer word spoke,

sooner the Scum pack up and move to Gosford the better.

I am not sure moving anybody to Gosford is the answer

But it does show that the Storm Crowds are quite good compared to many of the Sydney Teams.

That is an absolute disgrace for Cronulla considering the support they have in the shire and they amount of juniors etc who get special deals to go to the matches