What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sh*t crowd last night..not acceptable!

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
If you started supporting them before they had kicked a ball in 1998 that is sweet. The amount of people in Sydney that have no affinity at all with the city of Brisbane but 'support' the Broncos only because they Broncos always good is ridiculous. That is a cop out and I unfairly assumed that Storm supporters in Sydney (or anywhere outside of Melbourne) were the same.

Ice777

Bench
S.S.T.I.D said:
Fair enough. I can't cop people from Sydney that have never been to either Melbourne or Brisbane supporting the Storm or Broncos. It is a cop out, but in your case that is understandable.

Why would it bother you in any way? Surely it's entirely up to the individual who they support no matter where they're from or whether they've been to the place or not. It's the team they're following, not the city the team is based in.

Would i barrack for any Sydney team in any sport? No i wouldn't but i have absolutely no issue at all if others want to and i for one am glad they follow the Storm. Would you be able to "cop" a one eyed Rabbits supporter that was born and bred in either Melbourne, Brisbane or anywhere else or would you turn them away because of where they reside?

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
Ice777 said:
Why would it bother you in any way? Surely it's entirely up to the individual who they support no matter where they're from or whether they've been to the place or not. It's the team they're following, not the city the team is based in.

Would i barrack for any Sydney team in any sport? No i wouldn't but i have absolutely no issue at all if others want to and i for one am glad they follow the Storm. Would you be able to "cop" a one eyed Rabbits supporter that was born and bred in either Melbourne, Brisbane or anywhere else or would you turn them away because of where they reside?

As I said it is in most instances a cop out as people from Sydney tend to follow the winner. If you read my post above there are a lot of Broncos fans in this city (I know four personally) that have never been to Brisbane, don't plan on going to Brisbane, don't know a thing about Brisbane yet 'support' the Broncos simply because they are good. I don't suspect that this sort of 'follow the winner' mentality is particularly prevalent in Melbourne.

dubby

Bench
yakstorm said:
I find it hilarious that Canberra fans are going on about just cause the Storm are going well, their crowds should be a lot higher. Who can remember these moments in Raiders crowd history?

1987 - Made first Grand Final: 6,918
1989 - Won first Grand Final: 9,241

In fact, Canberra crowds never got really good until, guess what? They got a new stadium!

Before we blast Storm crowds, lets wait and see how well the Storm draw in the finals when they have to take at least 1 game to Telstra Dome. That will be a truer sign.

And of course the increased population and success had nothing to do with that either?

And what were the other clubs averages in those years? You can make stats mean anything so bring them all out to give us a fair idea. I bet we were better than most Sydney clubs in the 80's when RL crowds were averaging under 9k.

Plus, Seiffert is a much worse ground than Olympic Park. And if the new stadium is all the reason for new crowds, why didnt your move to the Dome bring in huge crowds?

Melbourne has what, 10 times the ACT population? A fair comparison hey mate?

dubby

Bench
chemicalbrother said:
You are a idiot of the highest order

Where the proof that the storm recived Financial Assistance in the 10 years of it's running of the club?

The Melbourne Storm Rugby League Club has not got one cent from the NRL, in fact we have given them money with the salary cap fines we done. So do say we have not recived financial assistance because that is the biggest load of bullsh*t i ever heard.

Touched a nerve did I?

Dont deny the fact the Storm have received funding from News Ltd.

To do so will embarress you further, but hey if thats what makes you happy....

dubby

Bench
Ice777 said:
Blah blah blah. You can speculate all you like what the figures would be like if the Raiders were in the Storm's position, but the bottom line is all you're doing is guessing.

blah blah blah you are just spruking on emotion.

Alot of what is said here seems to be hypothetical so shut up.

Ice777

Bench
dubby said:
blah blah blah you are just spruking on emotion.

Alot of what is said here seems to be hypothetical so shut up.

Shut up? Now now there's no need to be a little bitch about it! Now go have a sook about those terrible Titans being bad sports :lol:

Hindyscrack

Bench
dubby said:
Melbourne has what, 10 times the ACT population? A fair comparison hey mate?

And over 10 times the competition for peoples entertainment dollar...

The storm are far more important to the NRL then most Sydney teams and even your Raiders, they wont be going anywhere in a hurry.

eels_fan_01

Bench
This thread should be locked i reckon, it pretty much hasnt gone anywhere since the first post.

I hope the Storm can make it and i think it is hard to sell the game in Melbourne in AFL land but i still think if they get 10 thousand when their on the top of the ladder than why cant we say its a sh*t crowd.

(KW)

Juniors
dimitri said:
supporters who are a bit thick would think that this was a good argument

of course there is much more that
influences a crowd - than just team performance and population

You sir have NFI if you can't spot a direct correlation between on-field performance and average crowd attendance. The simple truth is everyone loves a winner.

Penrith are the perfect example. In 2003 when they were killing it, the house full sign went up consistently, the NSW Govt promised them an upgraded stadium to fit all there supporters in. Fast forward to 2007 and there are mored empty red seats then you can poke a stick at.

Melbourne have lost 2 games all season. Any Sydney team with a reocrd like that would be averaging 25k+, Newy would be sold out very week, as would NQ. Broncos would be near 40K, Canberra and NZ 20K.

Storm have that record and average 12K. If the Melbourne public won't get behind a champion team, then they definitelt won't get behind a nuffy team.

KW

(KW)

Juniors
And the "our stadium is crap" line doesn't wash either. If they honestly believed they could get a crowd worthy of moving a game to Telstra Dome, then do it.

Ice777

Bench
eels_fan_01 said:
This thread should be locked i reckon, it pretty much hasnt gone anywhere since the first post.

I hope the Storm can make it and i think it is hard to sell the game in Melbourne in AFL land but i still think if they get 10 thousand when their on the top of the ladder than why cant we say its a sh*t crowd.

You're spot on there and you're the worst offender. You pretty much said in your last post exactly what you said in your first post on the first page.

eels_fan_01 said:
The Storm crowds were going well for a while too. I dont think 10 thousand is acceptable for a side that has been on the top of the table for the last two years.

Do you want to say it for a third time just in case someone didn't see it the first 2 times? :lol:

dimitri

First Grade
(KW) said:
You sir have NFI if you can't spot a direct correlation between on-field performance and average crowd attendance. The simple truth is everyone loves a winner.

Penrith are the perfect example. In 2003 when they were killing it, the house full sign went up consistently, the NSW Govt promised them an upgraded stadium to fit all there supporters in. Fast forward to 2007 and there are mored empty red seats then you can poke a stick at.

Melbourne have lost 2 games all season. Any Sydney team with a reocrd like that would be averaging 25k+, Newy would be sold out very week, as would NQ. Broncos would be near 40K, Canberra and NZ 20K.

Storm have that record and average 12K. If the Melbourne public won't get behind a champion team, then they definitelt won't get behind a nuffy team.

KW

Of course there is a correlation but it is not the be all and end all

The Warriors made a GF have had consistent performances AND ARE HISTORICALLY A RL AND RU Town

and there averages aren't any better than the Storm !!!!!!!!

eels_fan_01

Bench
Ice777 said:
You're spot on there and you're the worst offender. You pretty much said in your last post exactly what you said in your first post on the first page.

Do you want to say it for a third time just in case someone didn't see it the first 2 times? :lol:

I dont get it, thats what i said....its gone no where since my post. Is that funny to you isnt? Jesus you need a life bud.

Ice777

Bench
Hindyscrack said:
And over 10 times the competition for peoples entertainment dollar...

The storm are far more important to the NRL then most Sydney teams and even your Raiders, they wont be going anywhere in a hurry.

You make an excellent point about the Storm being more important to the league than Canberra. In terms of attracting sponsorship dollars which is imperative to sustaining a healthy league it'd be much more attractive to said sponsors to have their brand pushed on to potentially millions in the second largest city in Australia than what it would be to be seen by 300 odd thousand.

Unfortunately for our naive Canberra friends they think the most important part is getting 15-20k bums on seats to say whether a club should exist or not. But in reality it means very little when you're talking the millions of dollars in sponsorship that's up for grabs that the NRL have to compete with other codes to get.

I'm sure you blokes won't like hearing that but that's the way it is in the real world.

Ice777

Bench
eels_fan_01 said:
I dont get it, thats what i said....its gone no where since my post. Is that funny to you isnt? Jesus you need a life bud.

Obviously the irony went straight over your head. Not surprising really......

McCrud

Juniors
Hindyscrack said:

Agree.

I think Melbourne are going really well.

It's great to see 900,000 odd Melbourne sports fans exposed to Rugby League through the Storm's appearence in last year's GF, and I'm sure they will improve on that figure when they make this year's GF.

With the new stadium on the horizon the Storm's future is looking very bright indeed.

Lime_Green

Juniors
Ice777 said:
You make an excellent point about the Storm being more important to the league than Canberra. In terms of attracting sponsorship dollars which is imperative to sustaining a healthy league it'd be much more attractive to said sponsors to have their brand pushed on to potentially millions in the second largest city in Australia than what it would be to be seen by 300 odd thousand.

Unfortunately for our naive Canberra friends they think the most important part is getting 15-20k bums on seats to say whether a club should exist or not. But in reality it means very little when you're talking the millions of dollars in sponsorship that's up for grabs that the NRL have to compete with other codes to get.

I'm sure you blokes won't like hearing that but that's the way it is in the real world.

I see you've descended into "my team is more important than yours" rubbish.

I agree lock this thread.

Ice777

Bench
Lime_Green said:
I see you've descended into "my team is more important than yours" rubbish.

I agree lock this thread.

No haven't descended into anything. I was only agreeing with what another poster said previously. I believe EVERY club is important to the league, but i'm not the one trying to get rid of one am i? What is that descending to?

Cranky

Juniors
(KW) said:
And the "our stadium is crap" line doesn't wash either. If they honestly believed they could get a crowd worthy of moving a game to Telstra Dome, then do it.
Nice one numbnuts! We'll move the games to a stadium built for AFL, then we can watch the game from a good 30-40 metres away...

That'll bring the crowds in.

Latest posts