What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shane Flanagan's rant, Greenberg's response

King Ben

Juniors
I thought JT's comments 4 years ago deserved to punished- NRL head in the sand as usual.

Flanno had a good, premeditated rant. I thought he got some of his 'facts' wrong, but he knew he would be copping a fine and accepted it. The NRL is threatening a large fine because it was so obviously premeditated.

Can they do this? I honestly don't know what the rules are regarding commenting on the refs. However, you would expect clubs and officials to know what they are risking when they plan a massive spray at refereeing performances in the post-match presser.

I actually tried to find the specific rule, all I could find was a quote when McGregor was fined last month. Coaches actually are not allowed to comment on match officials but Brian Canavan said that the NRL "uses logic for comments that don't question their integrity." So technically the NRL could fine any coach who discusses the referee.

papabear

Juniors
Flanagan's rant was full of passion and frustration that was overboard.
Greenberg's response showed a clear case of head in the sand that has been the NRL M.O. for years now.

The fact of the matter is this: Does anyone think that Ashley Klein should be in charge of a Finals game, let alone be the lead referee? Does anyone think that Klein or Cummins is a good referee?
The sharks deserved to lose that match.

dannyt

Coach
I actually tried to find the specific rule, all I could find was a quote when McGregor was fined last month. Coaches actually are not allowed to comment on match officials but Brian Canavan said that the NRL "uses logic for comments that don't question their integrity." So technically the NRL could fine any coach who discusses the referee.
Ha- talk about a nanny state, or at least, a potential nanny state.

So what happens if a coach respects the referees decision but offers a different opinion on aspects of the game, while acknowledging the referee is the final arbiter?

King Ben

Juniors
Ha- talk about a nanny state, or at least, a potential nanny state.

So what happens if a coach respects the referees decision but offers a different opinion on aspects of the game, while acknowledging the referee is the final arbiter?

Technically there are grounds to fine them, believe it or not.
The rules state "no club, club official or player shall, on a public occasion, comment on or with respect to the performance of a match official".

carcharias

Immortal
What's the point of having mandatory press conference if the coach can't talk about the game?
Banning them from commenting on refereeing decisions is ridiculous.

No point watching if the coaches aren't going to blow up.

dannyt

Coach
Technically there are grounds to fine them, believe it or not.

Coaches have to be aware of the rule. It's part of their job description.

But it is rough to express a different opinion and be fined for it. Slanderous accusations should be fined.

Makes flanno's outburst is either extremely brave or extremely stupid, probably both.

Last edited:
I'm not saying it didn't happen, and happy to be corrected, but seems most are taking Flanno's word on this as gospel and we know he is an unreliable witness.

I was at the ground and it happened in front of me 3 times. It was very Origin 2 esque.

myrrh ken

First Grade
I thought refereeing decisions were fine but criticism of the referee is a no no. Eg

"I am disappointed about the 29 occassions that the ref got wrong at crucial times, when the other team did the same and where there had been different rulings in other games.

But obviously i have no problem with the ref or the current system in place to review the decisions. i think the ref is of excellent character and credibility and i hope he gets the gf gig"

Surely

Post Whore
I thought refereeing decisions were fine but criticism of the referee is a no no. Eg

"I am disappointed about the 29 occassions that the ref got wrong at crucial times, when the other team did the same and where there had been different rulings in other games.

But obviously i have no problem with the ref or the current system in place to review the decisions. i think the ref is of excellent character and credibility and i hope he gets the gf gig"

I'd prefer they start with

Now before I start I'd just like to go on record and say the refs do a great job with their white canes, and I'm yet to see a a pair of sunnies that don't look modern and stylish on them.

Mogsheen Jadwat

Juniors
Lol Flanagan should unload at gallen, fifita and Maloney. At least he might actually highlight who was at fault for the loss.

Greenberg is an idiot but hes 100% correct here. It's an easy and lazy out for coaches and players alike to blame someone else for the loss apart from themselves. Looking in the mirror is a bit too confrontational it seems.

Apey

Staff member
Won't somebody think of the children

I mean your whole argument seems to be sure flanno was whinging but not as much as this bloke

I seem to recall howls of outrage from sharks fans at the mere suggestion that refereeing decisions influenced the outcome in 2013

Suddenly things are all turned around when it's the sharks who feel aggrieved

I haven't made any arguments about Flanno butch maybe you misquoted me. Just having a laugh at the murder JT got away with since it was posted. Here's one though: half the shit he was meltdowning about was nonsense. Gallen f**ked up the ptb. The Prior penalty was 50/50, discretionary bullshit that sometimes they will penalise/pick up and sometimes they won't. I think it was probably a penalty but shouldn't be, needs to be more onus on the ball carrier.

Thurston should have been in bigger shit than Barrett and Flanno combined though.

butchmcdick

Immortal
I haven't made any arguments about Flanno butch maybe you misquoted me. Just having a laugh at the murder JT got away with since it was posted. Here's one though: half the shit he was meltdowning about was nonsense. Gallen f**ked up the ptb. The Prior penalty was 50/50, discretionary bullshit that sometimes they will penalise/pick up and sometimes they won't. I think it was probably a penalty but shouldn't be, needs to be more onus on the ball carrier.

Thurston should have been in bigger shit than Barrett and Flanno combined though.

Fair enough apey

butchmcdick

Immortal
Lol Flanagan should unload at gallen, fifita and Maloney. At least he might actually highlight who was at fault for the loss.

Greenberg is an idiot but hes 100% correct here. It's an easy and lazy out for coaches and players alike to blame someone else for the loss apart from themselves. Looking in the mirror is a bit too confrontational it seems.

Given the recent revelations in today's paper it seems like there has been too much unloading of late

King hit

Coach

He should've been fined 50,000 or suspended for a while. They were deadset attacking the integrity of the NRL and of the officials. But because he is Thurston he off course got off with nothing.

Willie Ray

Bench
Well we've heard from Flanagan and Barrett,we've heard from Greenburg...$50 grand in fines....now Greenburg needs to grow some cojones and sack that wormy gutted Archer and look to try and fix some of these ref issues sooner rather than later.....FFS do something.....

Latest posts