What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shane Flanagan's rant, Greenberg's response

Vee

First Grade
I agree with all of that
However it still doesn't answer why they have to front a press conference but are fined as soon as they tell the truth when asked by the journos.

Maybe they should ban journos from asking questions.
Have a press conference where the coach reads out a statement relating to the game.
Do it 24 hours later

Then they won't be goaded into making comments about refs.
Ask the NRL. I would have fined him the same amount for bringing the game into disrepute with the way he carried on as I said above.

I have some sympathy for the coaches as I don't imagine they'd get much joy dealing with Archer through official channels, bit of a waste of time dealing with that oxygen thief IMO. But then, the coaches push the envelope, don't whinge when it catches up with you.

And no, after-match press conferences should remain mandatory IMO, it's part of promoting the game, it's a cost of doing business if you want to reap the benefits. Coaches just have to "grow up" and use more adult ways of arguing their point instead of the crap those two pulled last weekend.

papabear

Juniors
Are you seriously suggesting that a coach needs 24 hours to be professional and answer quesitons without losing his mind to emotions?

Come on now.

carcharias

Immortal
Are you seriously suggesting that a coach needs 24 hours to be professional and answer quesitons without losing his mind to emotions?

Come on now.
Dunno
Maybe
Would it bother you?
I know I don't even watch them usually...so 24 hrs later wouldn't make any difference to me.
Me ...you know...the actual customer.
Like I said before....you can't even hear the questions anyway..

The whole thing is a debacle.
How hard is it to pass a microphone around the room?

Too hard for the NRL.

beave

Coach
They were supposed to sort that out (mic for the journos) for the whole finals series, there was a press release about it but it looks like they haven't done anything about it.

Vee

First Grade
Dunno
I know I don't even watch them usually...so 24 hrs later wouldn't make any difference to me.

Too hard for the NRL.
I don't usually watch them either unless I hear someone carried on a bit.

Agree about hearing the questions, it's amateur hour stuff from the NRL.

Come on now.
I'm a bit over all this crap about press conferences, however one comment.

Don't ask a question you know the coach isn't allowed to comment on.

It's bullshit they are even allowed to ask when the coach cannot answer it honestly. Well honestly how they feel, think.

Anyway, Flanno needs to focus on the bullshit his team dished up for all but 3 games in 2017, rather than worrying about the idiots officiating

Vee

First Grade
I actually think this is probably why Bird is done with Cronulla and that the positions thing was just used to get out of there.
Flannigan and Gallen's behaviour, lol like NO accountability.
Who would honestly want to be around that culture?
I watched Bird developing under the Flanno/Gallen/Ennis culture and going the same way. It will be interesting to see how he conducts himself at Brisbane.

Last edited:

carcharias

Immortal
I don't usually watch them either unless I hear someone carried on a bit.

Agree about hearing the questions, it's amateur hour stuff from the NRL.

And...If the coach refuses to answer the journos go to town on them.

Who'd be a coach?

Shit ex players

I actually think this is probably why Bird is done with Cronulla and that the positions thing was just used to get out of there.
The money had nothing to do with it Shorty.

Bird couldnt give a rats about being offered more than he knows he is worth or that creeping Jesus says he can play how he wants etc. no he just left because his morals / ethics are way above those you mention

FMD

Generalzod

Immortal

I think Bird missed the accountability memo:

YOU have to wonder how Jack Bird will fit into Wayne’s world?

Everybody knows supercoach Wayne Bennett is massive on respect and players toeing the line so Bennett is certain to have his hands full with Bird once he reluctantly shifts north.

Yes, Broncos fans, take it as fact Bird’s old man was still talking with Sharks officials as late as this week about pulling out of his $4 million, four-year deal.

When Chris Heighington was about to bring up his 300th NRL game earlier this season, there was a huge turnout after the club’s captain’s run.

It was a sunny afternoon, a few of Heighno’s former Wests Tigers teammates came to Shark Park, and club legend Andrew Ettingshausen presented the special jersey.
The only star who wasn’t sighted was Bird.

Then Luke Lewis brought up his 300th game, there was a lovely lunch at the leagues club the day before and Mick Ennis was making a stirring speech to the players.

Then on Tuesday night, a special dinner was held at the flashy Summer Sault for Paul Gallen, who bleeds black, white and blue and has taken a lot of time to give Bird guidance.

Laurie Daley turned up. So did “ET”. So did most of the players. But no Bird.

It is not the crime of the century. Bird is a loveable character and gun player any club would have. But someone should have got in his ear and told him to make an effort for the milestones. It’s a respect thing and something Bennett is big on.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...t/news-story/95e7e602b604c690753234406bc6480f

SBD82

Coach
Dunno
Maybe
Would it bother you?

Too hard for the NRL.
I heard a radio segment the other day on triple m (maybe weidler? Definitely a print journo. Sorry I can't be more specific) where the issue of being able to hear the questions was raised.

It was basically saying that most of the questions are asked by print journos, and they shouldn't have to have their questions heard to give a free kick to the television and radio broadcasters.

f**king crap attitude, even worse if the NRL are catering to such an outdated medium of journalism.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Lol the coaches say exactly what they have pre determined they are going to say. Mostly rants at the ref are to take the spotlight off their own or their players failures. After all if the headlines this week weren't about the refs and the coaches they would be about what went wrong at the reigning premiers that they performed so inadequently. Better to cop a fine than have your abilities brought into the spotlight!

Reactions: Vee

dannyt

Coach
I think Bird missed the accountability memo:

YOU have to wonder how Jack Bird will fit into Wayne’s world?

Everybody knows supercoach Wayne Bennett is massive on respect and players toeing the line so Bennett is certain to have his hands full with Bird once he reluctantly shifts north.

Yes, Broncos fans, take it as fact Bird’s old man was still talking with Sharks officials as late as this week about pulling out of his $4 million, four-year deal.

When Chris Heighington was about to bring up his 300th NRL game earlier this season, there was a huge turnout after the club’s captain’s run.

It was a sunny afternoon, a few of Heighno’s former Wests Tigers teammates came to Shark Park, and club legend Andrew Ettingshausen presented the special jersey.

Then Luke Lewis brought up his 300th game, there was a lovely lunch at the leagues club the day before and Mick Ennis was making a stirring speech to the players.

Then on Tuesday night, a special dinner was held at the flashy Summer Sault for Paul Gallen, who bleeds black, white and blue and has taken a lot of time to give Bird guidance.

Laurie Daley turned up. So did “ET”. So did most of the players. But no Bird.

It is not the crime of the century. Bird is a loveable character and gun player any club would have. But someone should have got in his ear and told him to make an effort for the milestones. It’s a respect thing and something Bennett is big on.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...t/news-story/95e7e602b604c690753234406bc6480f

Interesting stuff regarding Bird.

Maybe Bennett will sort him out, maybe not.

He also had similar issues with us. Thought he'd grow out of them.

I spoke to Flanagan about this on Monday. It will be covered in this weeks podcast but I doubt anyone from here will listen. He has usually been very accommodating with his time and answers us honestly.

He was pretty angry. He said he felt that despite the team not playing well the referees had removed the ability for the team to decide the result and repeated the line that he needed to "stand up for the fans". I put it to him Fifita running sideways could have influenced the results more than the refs. He countered that there was no guarantee we kick a field goal there (They had already missed one attempt) and even then we would enter the lottery of golden point. No guaranteed outcome.

He did not at any point shy away from the fact that the team made a shedload of mistakes.

I put it to him he was perceived as a sore loser. He then went on about how he has refrained from criticising referees on many occasions etc etc etc. He also gave a detailed explanation of how costly the Luke Lewis and Feki no penalties were. One they would have defintely kicked for penalty goal and theres the extra 2 points needed to win (assuming the goal is kicked, but Jimmy had slotted everything else that day). The other 2 penalties would have resulted in attacking sets in good ball, but the cowboys ended up with ball.

I'll post the link when it is up.

Last edited:

carcharias

Immortal
Lol the coaches say exactly what they have pre determined they are going to say. Mostly rants at the ref are to take the spotlight off their own or their players failures. After all if the headlines this week weren't about the refs and the coaches they would be about what went wrong at the reigning premiers that they performed so inadequently. Better to cop a fine than have your abilities brought into the spotlight!

Yep reigning premiers baby
Glad it still burns you so much.

Hank_Scorpio

Juniors
Dunno
Maybe
Would it bother you?

Too hard for the NRL.

It is a very quick fix to create more accountability from journalists at these press conferences.

Changes at AFL post game questioning has resulted in journalists asking questions being shown on camera and the question is heard. It creates a situation where if the question is stupid and baiting they are often called out as such by coaches.

It appears to create more relevant game analysis rather than attracting a headline. There are still instances where coaches lose it a bit with the emotion of the game still raw, but more composure is needed from professional coaches in a professional sport.

Like it or not accessibility to media is part and parcel of bringing media money into the game. Behaviours need to evolve with this relationship.

Vee

First Grade
I spoke to Flanagan about this on Monday. It will be covered in this weeks podcast but I doubt anyone from here will listen. He has usually been very accommodating with his time and answers us honestly.

He was pretty angry. He said he felt that despite the team not playing well the referees had removed the ability for the team to decide the result and repeated the line that he needed to "stand up for the fans". I put it to him Fifita running sideways could have influenced the results more than the refs. He countered that there was no guarantee we kick a field goal there and even then we would enter the lottery of golden point. No guaranteed outcome.

He did not at any point shy away from the fact that the team made a shedload of mistakes.

I put it to him he was perceived as a sore loser. He then went on about how he has refrained from criticising referees on many occasions etc etc etc. He also gave a detailed explanation of how costly the Luke Lewis and Feki no penalties were. One they would have defintely kicked for penalty goal and theres the extra 2 points needed to win. The other 2 penalties would have resulted in attacking sets in good ball, but the cowboys ended up with ball.

I'll post the link when it is up.
Cool. I'd be very interested to see it.

Very few have your access to coaches, we generally only see what the media show us. IMO, he's made a huge mistake not fessing up to how badly they played up front, that ruined his credibility from the start. Then he went on about 50/50s, tough luck, tell us about the ones they got wrong and leave it at that. Or mention that they were 50/50s and that the other mob copped a few as well. Get the details right and don't lie (Holmes had the ball before Maloney interfered with Lowe), that hurts your cred as well.

And suck it up petal, if you're happy to cop the 7th tackle try as "these things happen" when it's in your favour, it's hard to sympathise when decisions go against you.

Latest posts