What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shane Flanagan's rant, Greenberg's response

Canard

Immortal
This section is especially tone deaf.

Poor refs, eh? The poor old things, according to Greenberg. No one will want to be a ref if we keep taunting them, he says. Spare us. Refs-in-the-making are going to do it regardless. It is in their blood, and bravo for that

Reactions: Vee

Meth

Staff member
I love Flanno's "We get the penalty at the end, the games over, where not even talking about it, we go to a semi final then a Grand Final"

FMD. Delusion is strong

To be fair, if they get that penalty, they win that game.

I've never disliked or really taken notice of Flanagan- but geez, he's got a whinge in him.

carcharias

Immortal
Like Flanno did, you mean?

Let's start with acknowledging and taking responsibility for their own errors. If they do that, they have more credibility when they start talking about refs.
I actually agree with you... coaches must take some accountability for the teams performance.

But it's also ridiculous to expect coaches to get in front of the journos and blatantly lie about their opinion on referring decisions.
If they tell the truth they are fined.
Can you not see that?

Earlier this year Paul green took accountability for his teams mistakes but was still fined for telling the truth about his opinion on refereeing decisions.

Vee

First Grade
I actually agree with you... coaches must take some accountability for the teams performance.

But it's also ridiculous to expect coaches to get in front of the journos and blatantly lie about their opinion on referring decisions.
If they tell the truth they are fined.
Can you not see that?
I have no problem with coaches disagreeing with decisions, particularly if they're wrong (Fifita "knock-on" for e.g.) and I'm certainly not defending the NRL's integrity either. I would argue Flanno brought the game into disrepute by making it all about the refs without taking responsibility for his team's shortcomings. He didn't help his argument by not telling the truth about the Maloney incident (paraphrasing "Holmes had it in his hands before Lowe was tackled"). If you're bagging someone else, you best ensure you're right or your credibility suffers.

If he'd said something like, "Geez, we let ourselves down at times today, our missed tackles and errors were way more than we would have liked, but there were a few decisions that went against us that hurt us a lot at critical times" and then listed the poor decisions (Fifita), not the 50-50s, I wouldn't have had a problem with it. Instead, he came across as a whining bitch with a terminal case of Loser's Lament, "We would have won if it wasn't for the refs" instead of, "We were poor at times and that stopped us overcoming the decisions that went against us."

And it's not a Flanno thing from me, though I do have problems with the Cronulla/Gallen/NSW culture, I thought Barrett was culpable as well because both of his whinges were wrong IMO, not even 50-50s.

FTR, I'm an NQ fan and I disagreed with Paul Green and thought he was rightly punished. I thought JT's outburst was disgraceful and should have been heavily punished and IIRC, Joey did something similar a few years before and I thought the same on that one too. The NRL was weak as piss in both cases and we all know the top few get special treatment. It's not right and goes to that NRL integrity issue I referenced earlier. But two wrongs don't make a right, not punishing those blokes in the past doesn't mean they shouldn't punish these blokes now.

I disagree with the consistency argument, I reckon you should do the right thing at every turn. That way consistency will just happen but until we get there, the process will continue to evolve.

I'm a ref and ex-player with a strong sense of fair play and see things through ref's eyes generally but game-first for me every time.

Last edited:

Shorty

Staff member
I actually think this is probably why Bird is done with Cronulla and that the positions thing was just used to get out of there.
Flannigan and Gallen's behaviour, lol like NO accountability.
Who would honestly want to be around that culture?

carcharias

Immortal
I have no problem with coaches disagreeing with decisions, particularly if they're wrong (Fifita "knock-on" for e.g.) and I'm certainly not defending the NRL's integrity either. I would argue Flanno brought the game into disrepute by making it all about the refs without taking responsibility for his team's shortcomings. He didn't help his argument by not telling the truth about the Maloney incident (paraphrasing "Holmes had it in his hands before Lowe was tackled"). If you're bagging someone else, you best ensure you're right or your credibility suffers.

If he'd said something like, "Geez, we didn't let ourselves down at times today, our missed tackles and errors were way more than we would have liked, but there were a few decisions that went against us that hurt us a lot at critical times" and then listed the poor decisions (Fifita), not the 50-50s, I wouldn't have had a problem with it. Instead, he came across as a whining bitch with a terminal case of Loser's Lament, "We would have won if it wasn't for the refs" instead of, "We were poor at times and that stopped us overcoming the decisions that went against us."

And it's not a Flanno thing from me, though I do have problems with the Cronulla/Gallen/NSW culture, I thought Barrett was culpable as well because both of his whinges were wrong IMO, not even 50-50s.

FTR, I'm an NQ fan and I disagreed with Paul Green and thought he was rightly punished. I thought JT's outburst was disgraceful and should have been heavily punished and IIRC, Joey did something similar a few years before and I thought the same on that one too. The NRL was weak as piss in both cases and we all know the top few get special treatment. It's not right and goes to that NRL integrity issue I referenced earlier. But two wrongs don't make a right, not punishing those blokes in the past doesn't mean they shouldn't punish these blokes now.

I disagree with the consistency argument, I reckon you should do the right thing at every turn. That way consistency will just happen but until we get there, the process will continue to evolve.

I'm a ref and ex-player with a strong sense of fair play and see things through ref's eyes generally but game-first for me every time.
I agree with all of that
However it still doesn't answer why they have to front a press conference but are fined as soon as they tell the truth when asked by the journos.

Maybe they should ban journos from asking questions.
Have a press conference where the coach reads out a statement relating to the game.
Do it 24 hours later

Then they won't be goaded into making comments about refs.

dannyt

Coach
Holy shit that's bad. No wonder he had his fine increased.

Love how they both tried to say that the sharks defended well. Their missed tackle count says otherwise.

Flanno seems a thoroughly unlikeable bloke.
Wow. Just wow.

I watched the interview from start to finish.

How can he completely blame the refs for the loss? At no stage did he acknowledge that his team may have contributed to the loss, or even acknowledge NQ at all. Totally classless comment about "not giving a rat's" at the end.

SBD82

Coach
Wow. Just wow.

I watched the interview from start to finish.

How can he completely blame the refs for the loss? At no stage did he acknowledge that his team may have contributed to the loss, or even acknowledge NQ at all. Totally classless comment about "not giving a rat's" at the end.
Absolutely. The comment about the cowboys next week stood out for me too.

The bloke can obviously coach, but if that interview is anything to go by, he's completely classless.

TheVelourFog

First Grade
I agree with all of that
However it still doesn't answer why they have to front a press conference but are fined as soon as they tell the truth when asked by the journos.

Maybe they should ban journos from asking questions.
Have a press conference where the coach reads out a statement relating to the game.
Do it 24 hours later

Then they won't be goaded into making comments about refs.

was he specifically asked about the ref's performance? or did they ask about decisions that didn't go their way? two different scenarios, but there are tactful ways to answer both without making a $50k donation

Latest posts