What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shane Watson and the tap on the shoulder?

Johnnie Red

Juniors
He is the highest paid due to sponsorship deals, he's not the highest paid player by CA.

HE should be sponsored by the makers of the DRS

According to Forbes Magazine Watto earns 2.9M and Clarky earns 2.7M from cricket.
However Watto smashes Clarke on sponsorship like you said.

Let's not forget that Watto plays all 3 formats and Clarke only plays tests

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Needs more of this

B_O1Qp3VAAIwHSm.jpg

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Boof seems to be sticking up for him so I just wonder if he wont be dropped.

You have to wonder what does he have to do to be dropped.

JW

Coach
http://www.cricket.com.au/news/shan...ement-australia-cricket-allrounder/2015-09-06

Watson announces Test retirement

Calf injury leads to allrounder calling time on 59-match career in Baggy Green

Shane Watson has announced his retirement from Test cricket effective immediately after another injury setback cut short his ODI tour in the UK.

Watson called time on his career Test career today after he sustained a series-ending calf injury in yesterday’s controversial 64-run ODI win over England at Lord’s.

The 34-year-old, who has repeatedly dealt with injury throughout his 10-year Test career, broke the news to his teammates at their London base this morning (Sunday).

"I've been through a lot of different waves of emotion about what is right for myself, my family and most importantly the team as well," Watson said.

"Over the last couple of days there was a lot of clarity (for me) of what the right decision was. I just know that I've given everything I possibly can to get the best out of myself."

Watson played 59 Tests for Australia, scoring 3,731 runs and taking 75 wickets.

The allrounder leaves Test cricket as a 20-13-14 Ashes winner, 2011 Test
player of the year and two-time Allan Border Medal winner.

Debuting at the SCG against Pakistan in January 2005, the strapping blond-haired 23-year-old scored 31 and captured the prize scalp of Younis Khan as his first Test wicket.

Watson, picked primarily for his batting prowess, was in and out of the side in his formative years but became a permanent fixture of the Test team from 2009 onwards when he replaced Phillip Hughes at the top of the order for the Third Ashes Test at Edgbaston.

It was in the opening spot that Watson found most success, scoring more than 2,000 runs against the new ball, averaging 42 and posting two of his four centuries.

Two Ashes centuries in 2013 rounded out a career in which his undoubted
talents were too often stymied by the ever-present threat of injury.

Regularly dropping in and out of the team with hamstring, calf and back injuries, Watson appeared in roughly half the Tests Australia took part in from his 2005 debut.

His most recent absence form the side came not due to injury but form, after twin lbw dismissals - his constant nemesis, particularly against England - and the outstanding form of natural replacement Mitchell Marsh led to selectors reconsidering his place in Australia's best XI following a first Ashes Test defeat in Cardiff.

That match, in which the right-hander made 30 and 19, proved to be his last in Baggy Green.

“I am not exactly sure at the moment what my immediate future holds,” Watson said following that first Test axing.

“After the first Test I was very disappointed to miss out but in the end I only have myself to blame.

“I have been very lucky and fortunate through my career to have plenty of opportunities and I just didn’t score enough runs, it’s as simple as that.

“In the (preceding two-Test series against the) West Indies and the first (Ashes) Test as well.

“I am just disappointed in myself that I wasn’t able to perform well enough to be a part of such an exciting Ashes series.

“I’ll just have to see what happens in the future.”