What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks 3 2 1s

Valheru

Coach
Well reasonable efforts there and ultimately we were on the wrong end of a magic round classic between two very good sides, one of which just doesn't know how to lose at the moment.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to recognise how we lost this. Too many errors at key times. The following are how the sharks scored their points...

1st try - can't say it was off an outright error but Dom should have cleaned up the kick. Fair play to him for being on the other side of the field though.

2nd try - when he had one in the bin

3rd try - straight off the back of that 40/20 where teddy and the winger just watched it

4th try - straight off the back of the Crighton error

Penalty goal - off the back of the Dom error down the sideline ultimately leading to the walker strip

5th try - off the back of the Angus error when attacking which rolled in to the ridiculous penalty by JWH and they scored off that set

6th try - straight off the back of the Pauga error

So that's 26 points directly after errors and another 6 that should have been cleaned up. The final try was when we were a man down.

Having said that we still scored against them with ease when we did have the ball and got 30 points which should be enough to beat any side. We had a right to defend at least a few of those errors but didn't. Quite clearly attack was a focus after last year which is fine but have to get that dogged defensive mindset back too.

On the refereeing decisions.... I was overall ok with the game but a few observations..

The sin bin. Not sure that is a sin bin. It wasn't off a line break and players are offside all the time on their own line where it's arguable they otherwise would have scored.

The biggest issue I have which hasn't got much air time is the play that ultimately ended with walker hitting the sharks player high in goal. Keary was held back twice and tackled without the ball, was an absolute penalty and potential sin bin.

Finally, the 2nd Dom try where he was hit around the chops in the act of scoring. I was ok with that not being a potential 8 point try because it happens all the time but in true NRL style the very next game the same thing happens and they award it. That would have ties things up at 32-32

Despite that, we still didn't deserve it due to the chief issue, the errors and lack of defending them.

3 Teddy
2 Victor
1 May

Overall nothing to be too concerned about and we are well on track IMO and I'm pleased we got no injuries from that dust bowl. We really shouldn't be losing too many more from here looking at the draw.

Need to make sure this game is just a blip by beating a very committed raiders next week leading in to a home game against cowboys and then a bye.

The defence and ball control was the biggest disappointment for me. Can’t help thinking it could’ve been a better result if Joey had of played but hats off to Cronulla who never gave up and we just couldn’t shake them off. On the bright side, it’s only May and there’s still plenty of footy to come.

Having leaked so many points, neither team is going to beat Penrith when a grind is required. Great game for the neutrals, though.

3. Watson
2. Suaalii
1. Teddy

H.H

Juniors
I actually went to Magic Round so was at the game...problem is, that was on the back of 3 straight days on the sauce so while I remember the game pretty well, the details are a little sketchy so no points from me this week.

My overriding memory though echos what you guys have said. I was pretty disappointed with some of the defence mainly (especially the Hazleton and Talakai tries) and while ball control was bad it can be an issue with us.

Robbo has said for a few weeks now that we need to find that harder edge and he's absolutely right.

Anyway, a long way to go and we'll sort it I'm sure.

I actually went to Magic Round so was at the game...problem is, that was on the back of 3 straight days on the sauce so while I remember the game pretty well, the details are a little sketchy so no points from me this week.

My overriding memory though echos what you guys have said. I was pretty disappointed with some of the defence mainly (especially the Hazleton and Talakai tries) and while ball control was bad it can be an issue with us.

Robbo has said for a few weeks now that we need to find that harder edge and he's absolutely right.

Anyway, a long way to go and we'll sort it I'm sure.
3 points. H.H

• Haha
Reactions: H.H

Lambretta

First Grade
Strange game this one.
Highly entertaining for the neutral and for Roosters fans at least, the same can be said of the first half

In the second half we completely went into our shells, were on the back foot and made too many errors.

Neutrals probably enjoyed the second half but for us it was really frustrating.

Hopefully that 2nd half performance is a blip in the season.

Latest posts