What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks a perfect fit for Perth, says Sage

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...t-fit-for-perth-says-sage-20130311-2fwgp.html

Sharks a perfect fit for Perth, says Sage

Date
March 12, 2013

Adrian Proszenko
Chief Rugby League Reporter

The multimillionaire behind Perth's NRL bid says he would welcome a relocated Cronulla franchise with open arms if the club folds in the Shire.

Tony Sage, the owner of the Perth Glory A-League club, is lobbying the ARL Commission for Perth to be given the next NRL license in an expanded competition. The state has not had a team since Perth Reds were axed in 1997.

While Sage's initial talks with the league have been based around the formation of a franchise from scratch, the mining magnate has revealed he would be prepared to take over and relocate the Sharks.

''We would take them tomorrow, without a shadow of a doubt,'' Sage said. ''We would pick them up and fast-track something here. It would work for the NRL, it would mean one less side in Sydney.
Advertisement

''I noted that [ARLC chief executive] David Smith recently said he wanted the NRL to be a truly national game and this would be an opportunity for that to happen. We would love to have them as the Perth Sharks. The interest over here would be phenomenal.''

There are fears that the latest crisis engulfing Cronulla could force them to close. The Sharks are one of the most cash-strapped clubs in the game, having operated without a chief executive for three years.

Up to 14 Sharks players are facing the prospect of being rubbed out for allegedly taking performance-enhancing substances, while four members of coach Shane Flanagan's support staff have been sacked as the fallout continues.

Flanagan has also been stood down, while the NRL has had to step in to provide funding and direction to a club that has admitted to ''management failings''.

Sage has an affinity with the Sharks, having grown up in the Shire and played league at Port Hacking High School.

''You don't just want to kick out a side like that and lose all of that history,'' he said. ''I grew up as a Sharks supporter, I grew up in Port Hacking. I was a Sharks man through and through.''

A league team in Perth would have the added advantage of allowing games to be played during the day and beaming into the eastern states at prime time.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm saying Sage shouldn't be allowed anywhere near an NRL team. He has turned a highly successful and profitable Perth glory into a basket case since he took them over.

Now a west coast sharks run by the warl I could live with (though given the number of shark attacks in wa waters recently not sure the brand would be that great a fit!)

Not to mention what do they bring to the table? No money, tainted brand, lol reputation on the field. Hardly a salivating prospect for wa fans!

The Great Dane

First Grade
f**k sage and the Perth sharks!

Don't you like the idea of relocating the Sharks anymore PR? Not such a great idea when it is suggested that Perth should be their new home instead of the Central Coast :lol:. God we footy fans are funny people.

Though I don't care if the Sharks relocate or not, anything that includes shady men like Sage should be avoided.

I'm saying Sage shouldn't be allowed anywhere near an NRL team. He has turned a highly successful and profitable Perth glory into a basket case since he took them over.

Now a west coast sharks run by the warl I could live with (though given the number of shark attacks in wa waters recently not sure the brand would be that great a fit!)

Not to mention what do they bring to the table? No money, tainted brand, lol reputation on the field. Hardly a salivating prospect for wa fans!

So just because you don't have pirates raiding boats off the coast of WA, pirates are a better fit. Okay, nasty them Sharkies hey. Well if make our way over there, I'd expect you would be one that would embrace them regardless of the points you made.

After all, Perth needs an NRL team at. The expense of Sydney.

Perth Red

Post Whore
As I said a warl owned and run WC sharks I'd be first in line for a membership. Sage and Elias owned I would not support. Plenty of people would though, at least until they finish bottom every year and lose squill ions like glory have.

As I said a warl owned and run WC sharks I'd be first in line for a membership. Sage and Elias owned I would not support. Plenty of people would though, at least until they finish bottom every year and lose squill ions like glory have.

Well those two sound like the perfect fit for us then :lol:

Perth Red

Post Whore
yeh def out of the frying pan and into the fire with them two!
Hang tight Sharks will be fine and we will have our own team in years to come when the time is right.

Funny that, you have no dramas saying that it should be the Central Coast Sharks but when the Perth Sharks is mentioned, no no no cry cry cry. Sage could bankroll the team for years to come and with strict NRL license agreements, it's not like pulling the pin is really an option if the club doesn't perform well. You would also have a Sydney market instantaneously and juniors as well.

Canucks

Juniors
It would suck if the Sharks had to move but I could live with the West Coast Sharkies...

Besides, they would still own Shark Park, some teams might opt to take their home games against that team to Shark Park in the same way the Bulldogs have taken games against QLD teams to Suncorp

Even though I am biased, I would prefer a Shark mascot to a camp pirate

Perth Red

Post Whore
Funny that, you have no dramas saying that it should be the Central Coast Sharks but when the Perth Sharks is mentioned, no no no cry cry cry. Sage could bankroll the team for years to come and with strict NRL license agreements, it's not like pulling the pin is really an option if the club doesn't perform well. You would also have a Sydney market instantaneously and juniors as well.

lol, you have no idea about Sage and the shocking way he runs the Glory! Bankroll the club? He wants to use it to reduce his soccer overheads, the chances of him spending any money on a NRL club are about as much as the CC Bears getting a spot in the NRL.

lol, you have no idea about Sage and the shocking way he runs the Glory! Bankroll the club? He wants to use it to reduce his soccer overheads, the chances of him spending any money on a NRL club are about as much as the CC Bears getting a spot in the NRL.

So decent chances then aye. I heard he'll put up decent coin towards a side, he could buy the entire WARL ten times over if he wanted to. Beggars can't be chooses, well they can if they're choosing for others in your instance isn't that right?

Latest posts