What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks Approve Central Coast Move

Windy70

Juniors
Zappia says that "we need to expand our franchise" I can't see a "Temporary and part time “ inclusion of the CC as being a success (apart from the 100K garantee). League fans will not throw their support behind or become passionate about a team that will be snatched away from them in a few years time. Quite possibly the opposite may occur.

The biggest problem is this. Yes, we need to expand our support base into the country areas and further. This is something Broncos have perfected with a massive development push. Constant coaching clinics etc all over Qld with players in attendance. Bronco's jerseys can be seen in every Qld town. (something mentioned by B2B with regards to the lack of Sharks jerseys).

But they are, or we're a new franchise that people could embrace. All Australian league fans already have an opinion of the Sharks and a team they support that is already out of their locale. So in a nutshell we are not trying to find "new" fans we are trying to change people’s minds. And that is an extremely difficult, virtually impossible task. Massive marketing campaigns are required to achieve this, and they cost money. The only hope is to convert kids to the sharks and hope they drag their parents along to games.
AFL vs Soccer vs All other Nrl teams vs The Sharks just seems like we’ll be pushing sh*t up hill with a pointed stick. Will be a tuff ask.

The situation the Sharks are in, is a situation (as mentioned by others) it’s been in before. We have been in the sh*t for a long time, only the depth has varied. The current powers that be need to be drawn and quartered for running this great club into slow and painful oblivion, both on and off the field. When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging, and re-evaluate.

I hope the new additions to the board will be enough to keep the Cronulla Sharks alive, and undo the damage done over the years by these absolute incompetent screwups that are our board.

I also hope the hole isn’t already to deep to climb out of, even if we have a few years to make a rope.

I will support a temporary move if it looks like giving the club a chance at survival. However I am not overly confident it will work unless it buys enough time for this never ending development to actually happen.

rabbitohs

Juniors
If it was about expanding the market then the CC would be the worst place to go. People already have their affiliations there and it is easy enough to head to Sydney to watch the teams.

The only place which this strategy would work would be Adelaide as there are plenty of untapped league fans here. 5 games in Adelaide would be a better way of expanding the brand than CC.

It is clearly either a tentative start to relocation or a smash and grab for the millions offered.

Last edited:

Surely

Post Whore
Agree CC is about the worst place you could possibly think of.

I could stomach the sunshine coast, but the central coast ffs thats a joke.

If it was about expanding the market then the CC would be the worst place to go. People already have their affiliations there and it is easy enough to head to Sydney to watch the teams

The only place which this strategy would work would be Adelaide as there are plenty of untapped league fans here. 5 games in Adelaide would be a better way of expanding the brand than CC.

It is clearly either a tentative start to relocation or a smash and grab for the millions offered.

Adelaide does not have a rugby league culture, people from the east coast do not move to Adelaide. If you'd said Perth I'd be inclined to agree, a lot of RL followers have moved there, but Adelaide ? No way.

rabbitohs

Juniors
Adelaide does not have a rugby league culture, people from the east coast do not move to Adelaide. If you'd said Perth I'd be inclined to agree, a lot of RL followers have moved there, but Adelaide ? No way.

Isn't that the whole point of it being an untapped market?

Isn't the idea supposedly to move game temporarily whilst sorting out cashflow and to garner new fans to have an expanded brand and avoid these problems in the future (just like Souths and Brisbane have fans from all over).

Ex-pats will NOT become Sharks fans because they played near them for a few yearsas they already have their allegiances.

Converted AFL fans will however.

Poms, Kiwis & South Africans as well as ex-east coasters living in Perth who think AFL is boring shyte would be a better target.

That's what I call an untapped market.

rabbitohs

Juniors
Poms, Kiwis & South Africans as well as ex-east coasters living in Perth who think AFL is boring shyte would be a better target.

That's what I call an untapped market.

For WA Reds it is. But we are not talking about relocation but a temporary move of games whilst cash flow is sorted. People already league fans will not change. They may well turn up to the games for a couple of years but will then drop the Sharks when they leave. People turning up to games is irrelevant when you have a guaranteed income from the match but their longer term allegiance IS important.
Perth will not provide this.

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
For WA Reds it is. But we are not talking about relocation but a temporary move of games whilst cash flow is sorted. People already league fans will not change. They may well turn up to the games for a couple of years but will then drop the Sharks when they leave. People turning up to games is irrelevant when you have a guaranteed income from the match but their longer term allegiance IS important.
Perth will not provide this.

We dont need that. Forget the spin. We are buying time to turn our assets into rivers of gold. End of story.

PJ

First Grade

Mate I just came back from WA and there was absolutely no interest in League over there. Nothing on the news, in the papers and no games on tele.

Fein

First Grade
We dont need that. Forget the spin. We are buying time to turn our assets into rivers of gold. End of story.

I hope this is true reefster but is it?

How long can a koala bear?

There are no time frames on the table from what I have seen. :?

carcharias

Immortal
Mate I just came back from WA and there was absolutely no interest in League over there. Nothing on the news, in the papers and no games on tele.

yeah I have a mate over there...he is gagging for footy.

I lived there for a bit.
They cut off the nrl grand final on radio to broadcast the local afl game.

don't bother.

Special K

Coach
This is no different to teams moving games to Telstra... Telstra pays them 100k a game also according to souths.

Move 5 games and get 8k in a 80k seater or move to the CC and get 15k? Even if we get 8k it will still look better.

I can't believe the move has taken us so long!

blacktip-reefy

Immortal
I hope this is true reefster but is it?

How long can a koala bear?

There are no time frames on the table from what I have seen. :?

I can tell you this. There are 3 very high ranking NRL people involved in the Bears re-entrance at the Central Coast. The bears own 2 Leagues clubs at least. They made a Motza by selling of the old Seagulls Stadium & land when they bought it for nothing ten years ago. The club is still there & trading & again is on a huge parcel of land.
if the right people get control of the Board of Norths, they will be laughing.

So where does that leave the Sharks? With a time frame of 3 years to get it right & get it done.

rabbitohs

Juniors

Agreed, but the best way of doing that would to be killing two birds with one stone and expanding the brand market.

No point wasting these years. Use them to improve the bottom line. Make the Sharks a national brand so that you never have to worry about moving again.

Sharkie73

Bench
Well for whats its worth IMO if we had to move 5 games Central NSW Dubbo!!! its a huge place and people out here love there footy you would have a packed ground for each game and there is a massive junior base out here full of Peach and Preston type players. The Central Coast has been tried and failed!

carcharias

Immortal
Well for whats its worth IMO if we had to move 5 games Central NSW Dubbo!!! its a huge place and people out here love there footy you would have a packed ground for each game and there is a massive junior base out here full of Peach and Preston type players. The Central Coast has been tried and failed!

here?

I go there for work occasionally...
how many people in town...not counting Gil and other sort of close joints?

I agree that they would love it...but I dunno if you would get heaps of people rocking up.
plus
wouldn't there need to be a stadium upgrade?

warren

Juniors

is there any money (or as much as cc) if we do that?

no problem with the move if it means that we'll be financially stable in the long run at home

Ausguy

Coach
more people might show up to our remaining "home" games as there will be less of them, could be 2 positives. starve us a little to get the people to the games when they are on.

interesting to see what time slots we get.

Sharkie73

Bench
here?

I go there for work occasionally...
how many people in town...not counting Gil and other sort of close joints?

I agree that they would love it...but I dunno if you would get heaps of people rocking up.
plus
wouldn't there need to be a stadium upgrade?
Carch I'm working out here at the moment for 6 - 12ths, Country people will travel 100km to watch a game of footy, take City v Country people out here couldn't get tickets quick enough! Why because its a NRL Rep game with top players. If they had games out here on a regular basis you would get the crowds.
There is the ground they play the City v Country game at Dubbo which with some minor up grades could be used. I can't believe the NRL hasn't thought of this option, bring it on I say and employ the peach as a scout out here.

Latest posts