What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks cap superthread - latest: NRL clears Flanagan to assistant coach from 2020

Explain to me how you make a disgruntled employee who quits or is fired sign one of them?
Anyway whistle-blowing is not only legal, but legally protected - unless of course it's against the government, a major bank, or (worst of all) the police.

It might be "legally protected", but it can have tragic consequences for the whistle blower. I saw first hand what happened at my work and it resulted in something very tragic for the whistle blower. The employer reps involved didn't even get a slap over the wrists for what eventuated.

carcharias

Immortal
The Sharks will be fine.
Last time they said we were gone we won the comp.
I’d bet most clubs are pretty much screwed financially.
You just don’t make money running a footy club.

txta2

Bench
If the Sharks have done anything dodgy with the cap they better be hoping that no one that was made redundant knows much about it because there is nothing like a ex employee with an axe to grind.
Haha the inner circle will destroy

taipan

Referee
And explain how the richest club in St George Illawarra have a team

For the very reason, they have the dosh .We didn't, judging by the latest news.Not that I'm thrilled with the decision BTW.Our club was in fact the pioneers for women's rl.

Briza

Juniors
When Manly were under investigation their upgrades of siro and Api were put on hold, and Manly weren't allowed to make a marquee signing.
What's changed Greenberg? Cronulla the new protected species?

When Manly were under investigation their upgrades of siro and Api were put on hold, and Manly weren't allowed to make a marquee signing.
What's changed Greenberg? Cronulla the new protected species?
Apart from being investigated historically not currently there is a small matter of an 850K player walking out without notice.

But please rage on everyone...

Hank_Scorpio

Juniors
The Sharks will be fine.
Last time they said we were gone we won the comp.
I’d bet most clubs are pretty much screwed financially.
You just don’t make money running a footy club.

That's the spirit. With half of NRL teams expected to make a profit, a number of AFL teams making $3m+ profits and half of A League teams at profit or break even, it shows you can make money running a football club. Just takes proper financial management and strategy to do it. Or you can just be happy with mediocrity and assume its the norm.

carcharias

Immortal
That's the spirit. With half of NRL teams expected to make a profit, a number of AFL teams making $3m+ profits and half of A League teams at profit or break even, it shows you can make money running a football club. Just takes proper financial management and strategy to do it. Or you can just be happy with mediocrity and assume its the norm.

Got anything to back that up with
Not afl or soccer , I didn’t mention them so not sure why you have.

Hank_Scorpio

Juniors
Got anything to back that up with
Not afl or soccer , I didn’t mention them so not sure why you have.

Without official reports there's obviously speculation, but this article on NRL.com indicates the league expects up to half of teams to make a profit.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/06/15...-clubs-grassroots-after-posting-huge-surplus/

I mentioned other codes as they are in similar landscapes to League and would often operate under similar organizational models. Benchmarking against competitors across multiple markets is common and best practice.

carcharias

Immortal
Without official reports there's obviously speculation, but this article on NRL.com indicates the league expects up to half of teams to make a profit.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/06/15...-clubs-grassroots-after-posting-huge-surplus/

I mentioned other codes as they are in similar landscapes to League and would often operate under similar organizational models. Benchmarking against competitors across multiple markets is common and best practice.

Up to half?

I said I bet most would be screwed financially
ie losing money

That means if anything than more than half don’t make a profit I’d be right.

Aren’t pretty much saying the same thing?
Mine was speculation

betcats

Referee
Up to half?

ie losing money

Mine was speculation

How many other clubs don't have any jersey sponsors?

Hank_Scorpio

Juniors
Up to half?

ie losing money

Mine was speculation

There's a difference between making losses and being 'screwed'. From one club making a profit last year, without the assistance of leagues clubs, growing to potentially 8 this year is an indication of improved financial management, noting the extra grant money does help.

Your post indicated most clubs are financial basket cases and it was the norm, when that is not the case. Clubs are getting better and need to do so to be sustainable.

carcharias

Immortal
There's a difference between making losses and being 'screwed'. From one club making a profit last year, without the assistance of leagues clubs, growing to potentially 8 this year is an indication of improved financial management, noting the extra grant money does help.

Your post indicated most clubs are financial basket cases and it was the norm, when that is not the case. Clubs are getting better and need to do so to be sustainable.

No
Losing money
Running at a loss
No profit
Means screwed as far as I’m concerned.
That is basically failing at the main point of being in business.