What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks cap superthread - latest: NRL clears Flanagan to assistant coach from 2020

M2D2

Bench
His quote made absolutely no sense,so I simply wanted him to reveal the logic behind his conclusion. Not that we will get one.
I was joking that Gus will breech the salary cap and then youd be f**ked for 5 years.
Didnt know that joke was so unexpected that you couldnt connect those 2 dots but okay.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Someone gave Buzz a scoop on it.

Couldn’t possibly be NRL
poor Buzz is looking for sympathy

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...a/news-story/2b897041f34cd350573b6f6341892b36

Cronulla Sharks salary cap scandal: Buzz Rothfield on the pain of investigating his beloved Cronulla

Phil Rothfield Sports editor-at-large, Member No. 111, The Daily Telegraph
an hour ago

THIS is one of the hardest stories I’ve had to write in 42 years as a sports writer.

Most readers of this newspaper would be aware I am a Cronulla Sharks tragic.

A season ticket holder, member and fanatical fan.

I have been since I covered the Sharks’ 1978 grand final replay against Manly on a Tuesday afternoon at the Sydney Cricket Ground and walked away thinking they were hard done by.

In this gig it can be difficult having such an emotional investment in a footy team.

You go there every week to cheer your lungs out, boo the referee over a pie and beer.

Shark Park is my second home.

In this business though you have to treat every story on its merit.

When our front-rower and 2016 grand final hero Andrew Fifita abused a junior referee two years ago I broke the story and exposed him.

When Josh Dugan got thrown out of Cronulla RSL earlier this year for swearing in front of women I wrote about it.

Then there was the peptides, a story we couldn’t ignore.

Or when our chairman Damian Keogh was busted for possessing cocaine.

Now this potential salary cap scandal.

We got a tip-off on Tuesday morning.

My immediate thoughts are the newspaper and our website.

You start gathering the details, hit the keyboard and type it out.

It’s when the guilt hits home and you start to question yourself.

Should I have passed on the story to another colleague to write to stay sweet with the players, the coaches and the officials, many of whom are friends?

Yet at the end of the day it’s what we do.

Shane Flanagan chases two competition points every week as relentlessly as I chase stories.

I’m worried this one might have an effect on our finals campaign and what sort of disruptions it may cause.

Still, if I hadn’t have written it, someone else would have. And whether you like it or not, it’s my job.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...a/news-story/2b897041f34cd350573b6f6341892b36

Cronulla Sharks salary cap scandal: Buzz Rothfield on the pain of investigating his beloved Cronulla

an hour ago

THIS is one of the hardest stories I’ve had to write in 42 years as a sports writer.

I have been since I covered the Sharks’ 1978 grand final replay against Manly on a Tuesday afternoon at the Sydney Cricket Ground and walked away thinking they were hard done by.

In this gig it can be difficult having such an emotional investment in a footy team.

You go there every week to cheer your lungs out, boo the referee over a pie and beer.

When our front-rower and 2016 grand final hero Andrew Fifita abused a junior referee two years ago I broke the story and exposed him.

When Josh Dugan got thrown out of Cronulla RSL earlier this year for swearing in front of women I wrote about it.

Should I have passed on the story to another colleague to write to stay sweet with the players, the coaches and the officials, many of whom are friends?

Shane Flanagan chases two competition points every week as relentlessly as I chase stories.

I’m worried this one might have an effect on our finals campaign and what sort of disruptions it may cause.

Still, if I hadn’t have written it, someone else would have. And whether you like it or not, it’s my job.
Poor miserable old Coote

AJB1102

First Grade

an hour ago

Oh my f**ken heart bleeds for him. Its been unreported for 3 months so the merkin was either sitting on it or went digging. Its not a rort being exposed, the NRL know, Sharks told them (lol like they'd find it themselves), if anything untoward happened it will come out.

Nice way to rehash old shit but.

Pedge1971

First Grade
The timings convienient...just in time for the finals.
And if I were Cronulla I'd tell Slothfield where he could stick his money come membership renewal time.

Buzz doesnt do putting his hand in his pocket. He waits for a hand out. #Stilettos

Life's Good

Coach

an hour ago

Rothfield is a f**kwit. Oh that’s been done.