What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks captain Paul Gallen fined $10,000 for racist remarks at Micky Paea

Fitz

Juniors
Why is there not a thread about his blow up with Mickey Paea...you clearly hear Paea say "He's called me a black ....", "He's a racist" and "Don't ever say that again".

Paea has come out and said he is not making a complaint because Rugby League has been through enough (which is dam honourable), but geeze Gallen is a grub. You would think this will cost him the captancy.

Also gives Petero and his mates anothe reason will rip n tear in Origin 1.

Gallen is a disgrace.

EDIT: No longer alleged as he was fined.

Last edited:

Dogs Of War

Coach
If it's true, I hope Gallen is banned for the rest of the year. Make an example of him, there is no excuse for racism in sport.

Fitz

Juniors
If it's true, I hope Gallen is banned for the rest of the year. Make an example of him, there is no excuse for racism in sport.

The NRL has already come out and said audio evidence is inconclusive and are powerless unless a complaint is made...Gallen does not deserve to wear the blue jersey and represent the people of NSW.

Why is there not a thread about his blow up with Mickey Paea...you clearly hear Paea say "He's called me a black ....", "He's a racist" and "Don't ever say that again".

Paea has come out and said he is not making a complaint because Rugby League has been through enough (which is dam honourable)
, but geeze Gallen is a grub. You would think this will cost him the captancy.

Also gives Petero and his mates anothe reason will rip n tear in Origin 1.

Gallen is a disgrace.

I agree, although, now that it's out there, it's fair to say Damage Done.

Hope Gallen cops a week or so for it (I wouldn't be upset at all if he missed Origin 1, NSW have plenty of backrowers who can get the job done).

Kiki

First Grade
oh man Gallen. i have no words.

Paea is lovely not wanting to put the game through more. i love my Dragons.

Fitz

Juniors
Gallen accused of racial slur

By David Riccio
May 23, 2009 12:00am

DRAGONS 26 SHARKS 4

CRONULLA captain Paul Gallen landed himself and his club in an ugly racism row last night after an altercation with St George Illawarra prop Mickey Paea.

An aggrieved Paea went after Gallen in the 73rd minute with stunning accusations picked up on the Fox Sports microphones. Paea confronted Gallen after a tackle and was heard to say, "he called me a black ... he's a racist''.

And even when the two referees, Tony Des La Heras and Jason Robinson, tried to separate the players, Paea continued to rage at the Sharks captain. He added: "Don't ever say that again''.

Dragons skipper Ben Hornby and Paea approached the referees, with Hornby clearly saying "he wants to make a complaint''. But when the whistle-blowers pressed the matter, Paea decided not to go on with it.

The NRL last night confirmed they had listened to audio of Paea's allegations, but are powerless unless an official complaint is made by St George Illawarra.

All parties tried to distance themselves from any talk of a racial slur after another heated local derby finished with the Sharks plummeting to a ninth straight loss.

"It was just a bit of push and scuffle, what was said out there stays on the field,'' Paea said. "That's all it was. It was a tough game and in the heat of the moment it was a bit of push and scuffle, there was nothing much more than that. I'm happy to leave it there.

"I've spoken to him and it's all right. I spoke to him on the field and shook hands ... there's nothing more than that.''
Gallen, who is set to be named in the NSW Origin team on Monday night, was unfazed and needed to be reminded of the incident by reporters after the match.
"He just stepped on my hand and I objected to it and it was a bit of push and shove ... that's just footy,'' the Sharks skipper said.
The match just added another sorry twist to a season from hell for the Sharks, who are anchored to the bottom of the table. They were committed in the first half but were blown off the park after the break.
The Dragons led 4-0 at halftime after winger Brett Morris continued his rich tryscoring form. He went on to post a hat-trick.
With pleas during the week for Cronulla fans to support their team, they attracted their biggest crowd of the season - 15,201. Ricky Stuart's men played with plenty of energy and spirit, but they again lacked execution at crucial stages of the match.
"I just feel so sorry for our supporters,'' Stuart said. "I thank them so much for turning out. Like this team, we just need to stick tight through this tough period.''
Five-eighth Jamie Soward was dynamic for the Dragons as he shut out the Sharks by sparking three second-half tries in the space of 10 minutes.
Dragons coach Wayne Bennett reserved praise for his players' resilience against an emotional and determined Cronulla outfit. "I was pleased with the second half,'' Bennett said.
"It was always going to be tough here tonight, particularly early. There's a fair bit of emotion around this club at the moment."
Bennett also praised the performance of Morris, who took his season tryscoring tally to 10. "We might have found Brett's best position and he is enjoying playing there. His consistency has gone along with the fact he knows he will be there every week,'' Bennett said.
"But he's is a wonderful talent that is for sure, he is a real throwback from the past. He is one of the few players who is a natural winger.''

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,25527929-5001021,00.html

God-King Dean

Immortal
Everyone knows the truth. f**king low-life.

Gallen should thank God Paea didn't break his face, or give a report.

Dogs Of War

Coach
How are NRL powerless to act? They at least can give him a dressing down, and make sure that it's know that they have talked to the player in question. Even if it amounts to nothing, they do need to be seen to have acted, this is half the problem in Rugby League, we are too quick to sweep it under the carpet until it bites us in the arse!

Kiki

First Grade
okay i just watched it. i dont think i've ever seen someone that angry and hurt on a footy field before. poor Mickey. the whole Paea family are lovely Christian boys too so whatever Gallen said it musta been really bad

okay i just watched it. i dont think i've ever seen someone that angry and hurt on a footy field before. poor Mickey. the whole Paea family are lovely Christian boys too so whatever Gallen said it musta been really bad

Can you hear Gallen saying anything?

Latest posts