What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks playing at kogarah

jeffdragon

Bench
I also wonder if the teenagers who smuggled alcohol in at shark park,
On the hill.,might actually watch the game.

Jubilee has gone from 6 games for the Dragons a year only to Sydney soccers home ground, womens world cup games and now potentially Sharkes interim ground. With this sort of use it may now at least having a chance for another upgrade where before it was no chance.

Ideally yes but it would take having some serious political power brokers on board to make a real go of it.
The State gov has pretty well ruled out any further funding for suburban grounds as part of the Stadia Strategy and wants to force us into centralised venues.

Gareth67

First Grade
Booooo. Stay on the toxic swamp.

I think Jubilee is owned by Georges River Council, so they'd be getting the coin.

Knew a fella a few years back - in fact come to think of it many years ago now who use to take his only greyhound for a paddle behind his small boat in the Georges River . Early one morning he heard the poor mutt yelp so he turned around to see a great deal of blood in the water , the only part of his runner was the head . So it would appear that them sharks are over the place .

This Year?

Immortal
The takeover has begun...first they start moving home games then start converting fans..then buy out the leagues club.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Can't the club say a big fat No and tell them to play their games at Anz or anywhere else where the crowds will be lower. Why give a direct opponent a leg up like this? Playing at Kogarah won't see much of a drop in their crowds as it's close by. I sound harsh but would we be given the same treatment from them? Stuff the Sharks.
Back in the 80's when the old Parramatta Stadium was being rebuilt, Parramatta spent 4 years playing their home games at Belmore. I remember going to watch a game there in 85 of Parra vs Canterbury, I think it was Parra home game. My mate and I had schoolboy footy passes, so we got in for free. Kenny and Sterling were both in England, playing for Wigan and Hull respectively. Steve Ella played half or 5/8 that day and had one of the best games I have ever seen anyone play. Parra managed to win 2 grand finals and make another one while playing at Belmore.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
What stats are these?

I've never heard of any realistic push or request to have all games in Wollongong.

Very few games there this year, last game was 14th April, next game is in August!
The ground name / advertising was awarded for only one year and for pitance.
How the St George component of the club could allow this is ridiculous.
Look at the number of ex Dragon / Illawarra players now working for the club.
Its all one way traffic...................... to Wollongong.

As McEnroe would say, ............
Us8gowrugWKasLixVaSHwUcaA18rwe-2S2_-MnfYC7GnPjYdG-euyiggQ4-x8_QU22BEtP1ycpMRh9_sjuXEaRVyI33x-7-RcTab9N0VDK5VqPi5ROsEhMyUUnnkt55ECQ=s412

Last edited:

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
It is the Illawarra component that is watering down Jubilee Oval with a concerted effort to play all home games at the Gong.

Look at all the figures and stats, it's already happening.
Actually I took a look at the stats, and from an overall success point of view, we should be shifting all games to the JV’s spiritual home in Wollongong..

After all, not only have we played there every season, the majority of all our wins as a home team have occurred there:

409AE34F-3A76-4801-8A52-AEA735A2E47B.jpeg

We’ve won more home games at WIN than we have at ANZ, SFS, SCG and GWS combined.

And I know what you’re saying.. “but muzby, if we’d played the same number of games at kogarah we’d have far more wins than WIN”

False.

The overall win % is exactly the same at WIN as it is at kogarah:
6BF9C298-446C-454A-AE86-79750E8BE72B.jpeg

So I know now you’re thinking “well muzby you dunce we should just shift more of the Sydney other ground home games to kogarah and we’d have a better chance of winning”

False.

You need to score points to win. Since the start of the JV, the dragons have been held scoreless as the home team only 5 times. Never in Wollongong. Guess where the majority is:
051D77F7-CFB0-4006-96BA-25B99E7E5E9B.jpeg

But I know now you’re probably thinking “muzby you peanut, we are a better attacking team at kogarah”

False.

Our biggest ever score, and our biggest ever winning margin as a home team happened.. Guess where..

Wollongong.

Now, I know you’re probably thinking “muzby you infuriating muppet, you’ve just pulled these stats out of your arse”

False.

All from rugby league project, current to last weekend’s results. Feel free to check.

So.. If we look at the case for shifting all home games to WIN stadium:
- Most home games played
- Most wins
- Best winning percentage
- Never held scoreless
- Highest ever score
- Best winning margin

@Old Kogarah Boy 1 your idea to shift all games to WIN is a brilliant idea to help us win more games and I’ll make sure when it happens that you get the appropriate credit..

I’m excited!!

possm

Coach
To quote Gareth Widdop .................

Captain Gareth Widdop added:
"It's not their home ground, it's the Dragons' ground.
They can go play down the local oval I reckon."
The problem is that Kogarah could have been our ground if the Board would have paid more attention to the future of our club instead of putting the snouts in the trough. This ground is in close proximity to the airport and with a properly maintained and developed Taj / Motel, we could have developed this club into a much sort after venue. Maybe one day ……………...

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
The problem is that Kogarah could have been our ground if the Board would have paid more attention to the future of our club instead of putting the snouts in the trough. This ground is in close proximity to the airport and with a properly maintained and developed Taj / Motel, we could have developed this club into a much sort after venue. Maybe one day ……………...
Do you want a posh leagues club dream or a winning football team?

If you want the latter, Wollongong is the matter..

possm

Coach
Do you want a posh leagues club dream or a winning football team?

If you want the latter, Wollongong is the matter..
I'm sure that with the right people in charge, we could have had both. We could have had shared home games and promoted the facilities to other sports as well.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I'm sure that with the right people in charge, we could have had both. We could have had shared home games and promoted the facilities to other sports as well.
Could have, should have..

No point lamenting the past, embrace the future!

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade

My father owned the outdoor security business at the club and was also on the Kogarah Council as an Alderman.

In short, the club had a million chances to buy Jubilee Oval but couldn't be bothered.
Typical.

FlameThrower

Bench
I know the Council own Jubilee Oval. But it’s not a fortress for us, Leagues club across the road does zero to promote the game. Club has ignored the local fans and move games away at a drop of a hat.
This latest icing on the cake is just another example of how much of a pushover we are. NRL has no respect for the Dragons board and only takes notice of the big top 4 teams.
Rant over...

Latest posts