What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks playing at kogarah

getsmarty

Immortal
'We should have first rights': Red V defiant about sharing with Sharks
Adrian Proszenko and Adam Pengilly
June 13, 2019 — 6.06pm
  • Send via Email
St George Illawarra powerbrokers believe they should determine which fixtures are played at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium in any venue-sharing arrangement with arch-rivals Cronulla, declaring "Kogarah will always be our spiritual home."

As revealed by the Herald, the Sharks are considering shifting some of their home fixtures to Kogarah if the refurbishment of their leagues club precinct leaves PointsBet Stadium unavailable from next season.

836fb6558c46cdd9932c5a63bda9d890a969ea77

Rivalry: Paul Vaughan's Dragons could be forced into sharing a venue with the Sharks.Credit:AAP

News of the potential incursion from their nearest rivals caught Dragons officials off guard, although they remain bullish the area will always be their territory.

"It's one of our major catchment areas and that is never going to change," Dragons chairman Andrew Gordon said. "We will have to look at our spread of home games and they will have to work around us.

NRL 2019
Enemy territory: Cronulla could take home games to Kogarah
"I'd imagine we'd be the ones with the first rights to be picking our home games there. If they so happen to end up negotiating something with council, then so be it. [But] the first port of call should be our games there and they can look at whatever is left in terms of availability.

"Kogarah will always be our spiritual home."

The Sharks are in discussions with developers to determine the exact impact the leagues club refurbishment will have on their home ground. It is understood the works will take 18 to 24 months to complete, although there is no official start date as yet.

A move into enemy territory at Kogarah is viewed as the least disruptive contingency plan, as Sharks fans would only have to travel about 10 kilometres from their traditional home in the Shire. Should the shift eventuate, it will add further spice to one of the NRL's fiercest local derbies.

Dragons players were perplexed by the news – and then defiant – about potentially sharing a home ground with their closest rivals.

"I thought it was weird, especially with the rivalry," Dragons forward Tyson Frizell said. "It's like the Roosters playing Souths at Redfern. Being an ex-Sharks player, I don't see why you would want to take your home games right in the heart of St George. That's just my opinion.

Being an ex-Sharks player, I don't see why you would want to take your home games right in the heart of St George.

Tyson Frizell
"Even though technically it will be a home game for them, I guess everyone knows it's the Dragons' home ground. It will be enjoyable to play them if it's their home game and we're against them at [Kogarah]."

Captain Gareth Widdop added: "It's not their home ground, it's the Dragons' ground. They can go play down the local oval I reckon."

The only major Sydney "league" stadium set to be in operation next year will be Bankwest Stadium at Parramatta, limiting Cronulla's options in finding a temporary home.

The $360 million, 30,000-capacity ground at Parramatta is already set to be used by the Eels, Tigers, Rabbitohs and Bulldogs for either part of or the entire season in 2020 while ANZ Stadium and Allianz Stadium are refurbished and rebuilt.

The NSW government confirmed on Wednesday the ANZ Stadium facelift would begin after Sydney's State of Origin fixture next year.

The Sharks will host the Dragons at PointsBet Stadium in round 18 later this year, potentially the last time the two clubs face off at the ground before work starts on the leagues club project.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/we...bout-sharing-with-sharks-20190613-p51xcp.html

Story on fox sports, sharks to take some games to jubilee when shark park under renos
We should charge them a hefty fee..
The least we can do is let Cronulla play (just one) game at Kogarah Oval. They deserve that, the reason being:

At least Cronulla showed some heart and honoured Thommo when he passed. Our mob ran out onto Kogarah Oval and honoured Thommo by getting belted 0-38.

Say what you will about Cronulla but at least they turned up for Thommo...

Crush

Coach
I'd like to see all our home games played at Wollongong. We play our home games at too many venues.
Make oppositions travel to the gong and play us on the ocean.

The least we can do is let Cronulla play (just one) game at Kogarah Oval. They deserve that, the reason being:

At least Cronulla showed some heart and honoured Thommo when he passed. Our mob ran out onto Kogarah Oval and honoured Thommo by getting belted 0-38.

Say what you will about Cronulla but at least they turned up for Thommo...
We loved him too!

to_ddeath

Coach
Millers more excited about Scumulla home games at Kogarah than Mehry was about the 13 point loss to Scumulla...

Bump
Appears to be happening. 10 games a year. RISKY business by the sharks the whole thing.

ive been there once and I got the train. anywhere good to park ya car?

whats good eats close by?