What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks rule out safe haven if Carney and Roosters part ways

http://www.theridgenews.com.au/news...rneys-warning-to-son/2337598.aspx?storypage=1

Mother Carney's warning to son

GEORGINA ROBINSON
27 Oct, 2011 03:00 AM
LEANNE CARNEY knows Cronulla are her troubled son Todd's final chance.
The 25-year-old's mother spoke frankly with him late yesterday, after Carney and the Sharks signed the much-talked-about two-year deal that has saved his NRL career.
''I talked to him only about an hour ago and I said, 'This will be the last','' Leanne said. ''[He said] 'I know Mum, I know'.''
It was not the first time ''last chances'' were mentioned in reference to the 2010 Dally M medallist, but Leanne was hoping it meant something coming from her.
''I just pray to God that things go good because he's got such a good talent,'' she said from Goulburn.
''I don't think he sees what everyone else sees in him and that's why people get so angry, because he has got a talent and it's just wasting.''
Leanne was closely involved in the negotiations leading to Carney's deal with the Sharks, his third club in four turbulent years.
She counselled her son, who was last month sacked by the Sydney Roosters, to make a choice about his future based on the environment in which he would live and play.
''I just wanted Todd to look at the players, look at the coach, look at the area, just to see if he might be a bit more settled,'' she said.
Cronulla satisfies on most fronts. Carney has an aunt there and a potential mentor in friend and former Sharks great Gavin Miller, who is also from Goulburn.
Importantly, the Sharks also made off-field support central to their successful pitch.
Sharks coach Shane Flanagan went to great lengths yesterday to highlight the wealth of life experience in the club's senior playing group - referencing the transformation of skipper Paul Gallen and others, including second-rower Jeremy Smith and centre Colin Best.
''[Gallen] turned his life around and the public perception of him,'' Flanagan said. ''He's well-respected now and he's kept his nose clean for a little while … and it's not impossible for Todd to do either.

''He needs to take little steps to probably build confidence within our own organisation and branch out from there.''
Flanagan said an alcohol ban was not a contractual condition.
''We just have more of a what's acceptable, what's unacceptable [approach],'' he said.
''And obviously drinking during the week and when you're in training, drinking before games and stuff, for a professional sportsman that's just not acceptable and all our players know that.''
Leanne said her son needed to learn to drink responsibly to avoid another run-in with the law, which would almost certainly end his NRL career.
''I don't think you can say to Todd 'don't drink', I think you have to say to Todd, 'You've got to learn how to drink','' she said.
''Go with the footballers and have a drink, but go home, don't be seen out around one or two in the morning, go home at nine or ten o'clock.''
Laurie Daley, a childhood hero of Carney's who mentored him during his time at Canberra, said the onus was on the Sharks to support their star signing.
''It's his last go at it and he's such a talent and he's a good person, but unfortunately he's made those mistakes,'' Daley said.
''You hope that the clubs aren't just seeing him as someone who can win them some games and maybe take them through to the final, disregarding them as a human being.''
Flanagan rejected suggestions Cronulla - a club battling financial troubles and flagging performances - was using Carney for a quick lift.
''There's always going to be that speculation … but in the end I'm not ashamed that we want talented players at our club and Todd Carney fits that talented player category,'' he said.

f**k off Daley!

Another snide comment towards the Sharks.

He has already stated previously that he didn't think the Sharks were suitable for Carney. And now he insinuates that we might just be using him and don't care about his rehabilitation.

Have you thought to ask the Sharks what measures they have in place before you shoot your mouth off?

Since 73

First Grade
Flanagan said an alcohol ban was not a contractual condition.
I'll drink to that.

''And obviously drinking during the week and when you're in training, drinking before games and stuff, for a professional sportsman that's just not acceptable and all our players know that.''
That's why Flanno needs to write a book.

Leanne said her son needed to learn to drink responsibly to avoid another run-in with the law, which would almost certainly end his NRL career.
''I don't think you can say to Todd 'don't drink', I think you have to say to Todd, 'You've got to learn how to drink','' she said.
Sounds like mum's a good judge of a schooner.

Is Todd's mum like the Queen's mum?

Poss

Juniors
Paul Gallen insists there are no behavioural clauses in Carney contract

CRONULLA captain Paul Gallen has endorsed the club landing Todd Carney's signature and stressed the Sharks will not be placing any behavioural clauses in his contract.
Preparing for the opening game in the Four Nations tournament with the Kangaroos in Manchester, Gallen admitted landing Carney was a pivotal play for the cash-strapped Sharks.
"Although he's had some chances, when you look at some of the things he's done recently he hasn't done too much wrong," Gallen said. "Obviously when he was younger he's done some things that weren't the best.
"But as far as general society goes he's not fighting people or hitting women or anything like that so I just want to see him stay in the game and I'm happy it's with us

"At the end of the day he's a 25-year-old bloke and we're going to treat him like everybody else at the club. I've already spoken to Shane Flanagan and Darren Mooney about it, we're not putting any regulations or anything like that on and that's the way it should be.
"I just hope the rest of the world treats him like everybody else does."
The Sharks captain admitted playing a major role in luring Carney to the club, with both the Kangaroos prop and the new boy sharing the same manager, David Riolo.
Gallen said despite reports to the contrary, at least two other NRL clubs were actively pursuing the sacked Sydney Rooster, who reformed to win the Dally M Medal in 2010 before again falling off the rails.
What Gallen was most excited about was Carney's enthusiasm to ink a two-year deal in the Shire.
"Todd told me on the phone he wanted to come and play for us. He liked the look of our team with an experienced forward pack and obviously some good young players coming through," Gallen said.
"That's the most exciting part for myself, to think that a player of his quality actually wanted to come and play for the club.
"We struggled with a kicking game this year but he brings that. Also a running game.
"He can score a try from anywhere on the field or he can set one up. Realistically, that's not something we've had at Cronulla.
"He just brings an all-round attacking game that we haven't had at the Sharks for quite some time and it's what we need.
"We don't need Todd to come in and be a leader. We just need him to worry about himself and his own game and get back on track and settled in the area.
"Everyone that I spoke to in the street wanted him there so I think everyone will treat him well."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...-carney-contract/story-e6frexnr-1226178922810

gunnamatta bay

Referee
Has Todd got a girlfriend? I mean he attended the dally m with his Mum. Maybe he needs a wife and kids and a back yard with a shed and lawns to mow to keep him on the straight and narrow. Take him down to Bunnings , sit him in front of a DIY demo and taste normality. (p.s. I've seen Noddy and Flanno gracing Taren Pt Bunnings and no finer examples of good family men there are)

Quigs

Immortal
You can't be married and happy Gunna. Its a natural fact of life.

They only want us for our Super.

SadShark

Bench
Once she eats wedding cake, the poison, coupled with the toxic wedding ring, erodes all desire for sex. Throw in a couple of kids & you're getting as much action as Tom Hanks in Castaway.

Vin Fizz

Bench
Once she eats wedding cake, the poison, coupled with the toxic wedding ring, erodes all desire for sex. Throw in a couple of kids & you're getting as much action as Tom Hanks in Castaway.

There's a contagion out there Sad. It doesn't have to be wedding cake anymore. De Facto and two ruggies is just as sound a carrier of the dreaded G'out.

Poss

Juniors
A mate chips in: Carney can be a game changer for Cronulla if he keeps his head

ON THE day Todd Carney received his next last chance, a contract with Cronulla, Sydney Roosters skipper Braith Anasta phoned his friend and wished him the best.
And yesterday, as Carney prepared for the first day of the rest of his life, Anasta maintained the troubled playmaker could be the best.
''We all know how good he can be if he gets his head on, focuses and commits himself to training and playing the best he can,'' Anasta said. ''If he gets his life off the field stable, that's the main thing for him because he can be the world's best player if he does that.'
Advertisement: Story continues below
Carney will begin his time with the Sharks today. As he does, Anasta will be in a different world, playing golf in the NSW PGA golf tournament in Wollongong.
While Anasta has two sports to concentrate on, Carney is lucky he has one, after being shown the door by the Roosters following repeated alcohol-related misdemeanours.
Anasta admitted that, while it was no fault of the other players, Carney - and Gold Coast-bound Nate Myles - were not given appropriate farewells.
''We didn't get an opportunity to say how valuable they had been to the club,'' he said. ''I know Nate and Toddy were upset about that. I think things calmed down as it went along.
''Even though they did the wrong thing that night [when they went drinking], and let the team down, and they paid full punishment by getting basically sacked … they did a lot of great things for the club.
''They had their problems but they were great blokes … The players didn't get to send them off at all. That was disappointing.''
Anasta would have no problem if Carney found his way - again - at Cronulla, even if his form came at the Roosters' expense.
''I hope he does well and he gets his life back on track, and does what we all know he can do and that's play unbelievable football, no matter who he plays for,'' he said.
''Just speak to Canberra [who previously sacked Carney] about that. The same thing happened with them. We benefited from that. Cronulla might benefit from Toddy going to them.
''Toddy is one of those guys where everything would be fine. [But] there would be one little incident where he might not make the right decision. Toddy, 98 per cent of the time, was a fantastic guy, great decisions, good head on his shoulders.
''It's just that one wrong decision. If he can get that 2 per cent where he falls into that category, he'll be fine.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ps-his-head-20111102-1mvrj.html#ixzz1cajQhG8Z

Since 73

First Grade
''Even though they did the wrong thing that night [when they went drinking], and let the team down, and they paid full punishment by getting basically sacked …

Just ram it home Braith - that they didn't live up to YOUR standards.

Not the clubs, just YOURS and your dopey mates.

Just keep ramming it home in case they forgot.

You still won't get the 6 shirt - Brian has telegraphed he don't see you as a 5/8.

Last edited:

Frenzy.

Post Whore
Just ram it home Braith - that they didn't live up to YOUR standards.

Not the clubs, just YOURS and your dopey mates.

Just keep ramming it home in case they forgot.

You still won't get the 6 shirt - Brian has telegraphed he don't see you as a 5/8.

And he surely didn't get Wartimer to be a 9 or a 7 in front of Mitchy boy.

Unless Mitchy boy is going to be the 6

Poss

Juniors
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...th-two-feet-on-the-pedals-20111103-1mxz1.html

IT WASN'T long ago Todd Carney was driving around in a Dodge Nitro, living the high life in his Coogee apartment with a mortgage on the NSW and Australian No. 6 jerseys after guiding the Roosters to a grand final.
Next week he'll be riding through the streets of Cronulla to training on a push bike - hopefully wearing a helmet. Under his new coach Shane Flanagan, the road to redemption for Carney is in the bike lane.
Anthony Tupou yesterday chauffeured Carney to his first day at his new club, but as of next Friday the five-eighth will be on his own when he moves into his Cronulla townhouse. As part of a detailed plan by the Sharks to keep their prized signing out of trouble, Carney will be forced to take responsibility for his own actions and find his own way to training.
Advertisement: Story continues below
When he had his licence suspended for drink-driving earlier this year, Roosters teammates Jake Friend and Nate Myles took responsibility for getting their star playmaker to training each day.
Carney would have no shortage of Cronulla teammates who could drive him to training each day, but he'll be on his bike. '''Toops' has only got to do a week of chauffeuring, and Todd will be into his townhouse in Cronulla and he'll be riding his push bike to training each day,'' Flanagan said.
''The plan that we've got in place is pretty detailed, we're not saying it's foolproof, but we're just going to be working hard to give Todd and all our players support in that area.''
An alcohol ban was a ploy the Roosters adopted but backfired when they were forced to release him from his contract after he broke the club's policy.
The Sharks refuse to impose a booze ban on their newest recruit, simply advising Carney to drink responsibly.
''People can't wait to start taking photos of him down at Northies and sending them into the papers,'' Flanagan said. ''But it's when it's acceptable and when it's not acceptable that is the key.''
The Sharks have a host of halves at their disposal next year, with Carney and Jeff Robson joining Wade Graham, Chad Townsend and Albert Kelly in the mix.
Carney spent some time at fullback for the Roosters in his first seven games at the club in 2010, but Flanagan told the Herald yesterday he wouldn't experiment with him in the No. 1 jersey.
''Not for me, I didn't buy him to play fullback,'' Flanagan said. ''But he has got that versatility in him, if you had an injury in the run of the game and you had to move him back there. I think when Todd came in as a fullback [at] the Roosters, they had Braith [Anasta] and Mitchell Pearce pretty settled. I think he's got it in him but I'm not looking at that.''
While Graham was one of the Sharks' best in the five-eighth role last year, the former Penrith pivot could make the shift to the back row next year to accommodate Carney, who is likely to start the season alongside Townsend or Robson in the halves.
That would leave Kelly in a battle with Nathan Gardner for the fullback position.
Flanagan conceded the club was still on the lookout for quality outside backs. ''There's room [in the salary cap] but there's not those quality players out there that are off contract. We're happy with what we've got but we'd like to add to it. I think the club's in the start of a new generation in terms of attracting players, and having Todd also helps.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-the-pedals-20111103-1mxz1.html#ixzz1cgL4udsh

Latest posts