What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks send SOS to fickle fans

carcharias

Immortal
IT'S the local derby that could very well be a game of survival for Cronulla.
Anything less than a sell-out for Saturday night's biggest-drawing home game of 2009 against the Dragons will seriously undermine the embattled club's chances of recovering from a $9 million debt and staying alive.
According to the Sharks' most loyal supporters, there will be no excuses if Toyota Stadium is not full for the clash with their bitter rivals.
"If you don't turn up, you aren't true Sharks fans," Cronulla supporters club secretary Ben McGregor said bluntly.
But desperate officials are relying on more than fan power to survive, with controversial Manly owner Max Delmege approached to invest in a $110 million residential development alongside leagues club Sharkies that is being touted as Cronulla's saviour.
As NRL bean-counters spent a second straight day poring over Cronulla's books, The Daily Telegraph learned that Delmege fronted the Sharks board last August to view plans and discuss investment opportunities.
"I did meet with the board about the development and we threw a few ideas around," said Delmege, who made his fortune from property development.
"That was about nine months ago and there's been nothing further since."
The Sharks' home crowd average this season is 9750, the lowest in the NRL, angering both McGregor and fellow fan Belinda McFarlane.
The Daily Telegraph was inundated with emails yesterday in an orchestrated campaign by desperate Cronulla supporters to fill Toyota Stadium on Saturday - and help save the embattled club.
"Over the past six years I have missed six games. I have been to all games around Australia and New Zealand," McGregor said.
"That puts me in a position to say that, yes, Sharks fans are fickle.
"It's no secret that the Sharks are in dire straits, yet apart from the football club and supporters club, no one seems to be doing anything. Are the fans that fickle that they would willingly lose their club forever?
"The Shire should be outraged at the possibility it could lose their local side. It's now or never.
"We haven't had good match timeslots this year but that shouldn't matter. We are going to lose our team if fans don't start turning up.
"Fans have to make a choice and hopefully that will be to attend matches and not watch them at Northies or Cronulla Leagues Club. I can't believe the house-full sign isn't already up for the Dragons game this week."
Cronulla are buckling under financial pressures that could see the club implode within 18 months.
Low attendance figures coupled with the recent bad press in relation to the recent NRL sex scandal has seen the club's financial position deteriorate even further.
The Sharks called NRL chief executive David Gallop to an emergency meeting on Monday with the club's concerned major sponsor LG.
LG, which pays Cronulla $700,000 a year, claims to be deeply worried about damage to its brand name after last week's drama involving Cronulla players in 2002.
Source: The Daily Telegraph

0,,6633175,00.jpg

WITH Cronulla's survival potentially hinging on a sellout at this weekend's local derby against the Dragons, hardcore Sharks fans have issued a challenge to fair-weather supporters.

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,25509366-5001021,00.html

gunnamatta bay

Referee
Getting in with Delmege seems like asking for trouble...
the 'exclusive' story is about a meeting 9 months ago. Delmege is quoted as saying he's heard nothing since.

I agree with you though. He was the bloke who put his credit card on the bar at Manly's season launch resulting in mayhem.

adamkungl

Immortal
i was more referring to the offseason hissyfir he threw about Penn which threatened to tear the club to bits...not to mention the massive conflict of interest with having fingers in 2 pies. clearly all he's interested in is the land

gunnamatta bay

Referee
i was more referring to the offseason hissyfir he threw about Penn which threatened to tear the club to bits...not to mention the massive conflict of interest with having fingers in 2 pies. clearly all he's interested in is the land
oh yeah that too.

warren

Juniors
how embarassing for the sharks if it doesnt sell out?
we better have seat fillers waiting in the wings just in case

As if it's going to sell out.

Good on the supporters club for going public and trying to rally the troops though.

I hope it has an impact.

If Delmege can make the club a quid even if he takes care of himself on the side, then surely it's better if people at our club are looking to take care of themselves while NOT making the club a quid from the land. Successful people are the ones we need involved, not two-bit operators running a fiefdom just because them and their mates happened to fall ass-first into a job at Cronulla simply because they could stack their way to the top of that dung hill known as the Cronulla Sutherland Junior Rugby League, ahead of a bunch of part-time tradies and public servants who divide their time evenly between their 35 hour a week jobs and marking the lines at their local junior footy field.

Generalzod

Immortal
Going through Kogarah yesterday night there were plenty of posters promoting the game in the St George district....Going through the Shire there was nothing..

carcharias

Immortal
there are posters on/around tom Uglys for the game promoting both teams and on BSB there is a SOS commercial promoting the game from both teams perspective.

pommy shark

Juniors
Going through Kogarah yesterday night there were plenty of posters promoting the game in the St George district....Going through the Shire there was nothing..

I mentioned this ages ago - our marketing department is crap - the Shire should be covered in black white and blue posters

Marketing costs but it can be offset by barter - ie you print us posters we get you the mother of all adverts on the big screen with 25000 viewers free of charge etc etc etc

We now have empty billboards (Wendy Wu etc) trade this for some marketing help

Why do we not get the leader to give us the front or back page rather than print about a tree that fell over or a water skier - we give them stories all year its time they give something back big time

When the story is bad the BSB phone Zappia and he gives them time - payback - Zappia should phone the BSB to get some advertising time using him or Glenn Whealer or Jason Stevens or anyone who wants to help

I read the next home = Warriors - get inventive - a few years ago the tigers gave Kiwi's free entry - my mate drove from Bowral to watch his first ever game - we can't afford free but do a Kiwi passport type deal to get them there

Let the police / firies in for a special rate

MARKETING MUST DO SOMETHING _ ANYTHING _ SITTING ON HANDS MEANS LOW CROWDS _ LOW CROWDS = NO SHARKS

RufusRex

Post Whore
You might get a decent crowd for this one (local derby) with Dragons supporters padding the numbers ... But the next home games are Warriors and Broncos who wont supply great numbers of supporters. That is where the struggle will be.

spider

Coach
warriors has always drawn poor crowds - and the last time we hosted them Im sure it was in a monsoon with massive down pour

broncos has generally always drawn a good crowd - until we got f**ked over with another monday night game

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I read the next home = Warriors - get inventive - a few years ago the tigers gave Kiwi's free entry - my mate drove from Bowral to watch his first ever game - we can't afford free but do a Kiwi passport type deal to get them there

You've got the right idea but you'll find it was the Bulldogs who did this at ANZ last year. The Tigers may have done it a few years back but the 'Dogs are the more recent ones.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Anyone else get a quiet chuckle form the fact that every single person in that photo is caucasian?

Gotta love the Shire.

carcharias

Immortal
Anyone else get a quiet chuckle form the fact that every single person in that photo is caucasian?

Gotta love the Shire.
So what?

...do you have a problem with ethnicity?

I have sat next a few of those blokes who definitely are not caucasian.
They didn't give a fug nor did I.

Eion

First Grade

Gotta love the Shire.
That picture is a cropped version of the one in the tele. Who was cropped out? An asian lady in the front row.

Latest posts