What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks support stronger than most..

MightySharks

Bench
I always read in these forums that Cronulla are not a well supported team and can't match it with the big clubs when it comes to crowds.

Interesting that of the 9 Sydney clubs Cronulla had the 3rd best home average, beating among others, Parramatta the minor premiers the Dragons plus Roosters.

Not bad for a club that scraped into the eight and represents a small poulation area.

Cronulla's average was around 2600 higher per game than any other year in its history and up 29.5% on 2004.

So to those who doubt our support these stats porve your wrong

Godz Illa

Coach
These stats don't surprise me at all, actually. Did you see the massive turnout at their last fan day?

cronulla.jpg

I grew up in the shire and those figures don't surprise me, Cronulla have always had very strong support at home. The flipside is that Sharks fans in general don't travel & the overwhelming majority their support is concentrated in one area - the shire.

Teams like the Eels, Dragons, Roosters have fans spread across Sydney, thus they have fans turn up in good numbers to their away fixtures, along with those diehards who make the trek week-in week-out.

Not that I have them, but if someone knows how to get them I'd be interested to see the total home & away crowd figures for each team.

innsaneink

Referee
Bring back John Fifita said:
I grew up in the shire and those figures don't surprise me, Cronulla have always had very strong support at home. The flipside is that Sharks fans in general don't travel & the overwhelming majority their support is concentrated in one area - the shire.

Teams like the Eels, Dragons, Roosters have fans spread across Sydney, thus they have fans turn up in good numbers to their away fixtures, along with those diehards who make the trek week-in week-out.

Not that I have them, but if someone knows how to get them I'd be interested to see the total home & away crowd figures for each team.

http://stats.rleague.com/rl/crowds/2005.html

MONY

Juniors
the sharks supporters travel very well..... I think the reason for the big crowds for sharks games at toyota is because they think each year they are due to win the comp and they dont want to miss a once in a lifetime feat.

innsaneink

Referee
Thanks Ink, makes for interesting reading.

It does ay..
Sharks down the other end when it comes to away crowds....no surprise there but Penriths away figures did surprise a bit.

PB

Bench
Shark supporters don't travel.

It all stems back to a story they are told as kids that there is a troll that lives under the Taren Point Bridge who will eat them should they try to cross it... Hence none of them ever do!

And seriously, i have been to Toyota Park. If you asked them to name the team members they would tell you, "Kimmorley, Peachey, and the big virgin on the footy show", thats all they know. Which is fair enough as most are either 12 years old, or half cut on their way to Northies.

phonetic

Juniors
Remember that most St George games at Kogarah, and a couple at Wollongong were sellouts before game day and would have drawn many more people if we had larger grounds to facilitate them.

Sharks fans travel? I disagree. I think they're one of the worst Sydney sides in this regard. You have a few of those unfortunate souls waving their flags but that's about it.

MightySharks

Bench
Not suprised that other supporters can't accept Cronulla's extremly strong crowds for what they are and feel the need to resort to talking $hit!

MightySharks

Bench

Home gate takings pay more bills!

MightySharks

Bench
innsaneink said:
It does ay..
Sharks down the other end when it comes to away crowds....no surprise there but Penriths away figures did surprise a bit.

Not much in it, the stats prove what others disagree with the Sharks support as in bums on seats is better than most!

Booyah

Bench
Godz Illa said:
These stats don't surprise me at all, actually. Did you see the massive turnout at their last fan day?

cronulla.jpg

I shouldn't laugh, but it's pretty interesting that the bloke getting belted is wearing Red & White. A hidden motive perhaps? :lol:

Deacon

First Grade
As a Dragons Fan who lives in the shire i find that most people who go to Toyota Park roam around on the family hill unknown that there is a game on league even on and also alot of games there are sat night therefore many people start there night off there before heading to the hotspots such as Northies, Carmens etc