What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks Trial

simmo05

Bench
As bad as we were the sharks were dynamite that first 40mins and would have lead any team. Hard to imagine them not being top 4 this year.

Hopefully we learnt something from that.
Ive got the sharks winning the comp this year. Class all over the park.

glockers

Juniors
I've never minded Kevvy in the centres, his misreads are when he plays in the wing.

I find it strange that after his Fiji performances we didn't try him at fullback.

super_coach

First Grade
Made the trek last night to get a insight on what we can expect in 2018. I have always been a little negative of our chances in 2018, and what I saw last night that negativity has jumped a notch.

They have no real pace and do not have a player that can bust open a match. They will tackle all day and run hard at the line but all teams do that these days, the good teams have the players with the silky skills and the top notch athletes.

Last night early in the second half we had two sets where Brooks touched the ball once, that must be some sort of record when you no7 touches the ball once in 10 tackles.

Iam not cutting my wrists, and they will get better, but how are the going to score say 24 points or more in a game has got me beat. Benji may offer some flair but who are going to be his targets???

While teams are searching for match fitness in the first six to 8 rounds, games tend to be played fast and attacking and I just can not see us matching any side in the NRL at that style of football and we will not have the match fitness to play a grinding physical game,

Anyway time will tell but I think even with Cleary at the helm this is going to be a very long year

tiger102

Juniors
The trials showed us exactly what we should have predicted that there is more work to be done to be consistently good.Some of our new buys have been better than expected ( e.g Thompson) some worse(e.g Fonua) but the season is 24 games long and I have no doubt that the performances will improve as the year goes by.
My main concern atm would be hooker/halves and lack of pace in the backline.The lack of pace in the backline is the one area where I believe that we don't have the personnel currently to fix the problem.
We were never going to have immediate dividends this year but I am confident of a decent finish 7th - 10th is quite achievable if we play to our strengths and work on our defensive pattern

Tiger Ted

Bench
The trials showed us exactly what we should have predicted that there is more work to be done to be consistently good.Some of our new buys have been better than expected ( e.g Thompson) some worse(e.g Fonua) but the season is 24 games long and I have no doubt that the performances will improve as the year goes by.
My main concern atm would be hooker/halves and lack of pace in the backline.The lack of pace in the backline is the one area where I believe that we don't have the personnel currently to fix the problem.
We were never going to have immediate dividends this year but I am confident of a decent finish 7th - 10th is quite achievable if we play to our strengths and work on our defensive pattern
The most inept spine in the nrl & no X factor means we will finish in bottom 4 !

Vic Mackey

Referee
People saying this will be a close comp, I think it will be the opposite. I think there will be a stand out group. Probably Easts, cows, storm, sharks. Rung down to Broncos, eels, dragons. Then the rest all pretty even but nowhere near the top lot.

tiger102

Juniors
The most inept spine in the NRL & no X factor means we will finish in bottom 4!
I was surprised we not buy a good young halfback, as I don't think we have any in the lower grades as well. Gamble is a very good five-eighth.Hope 29th or 30th player has pace and a bit of X-factor about him.

Vozzy

Juniors
At the end of the day it was only a trial but in saying that Ivan Cleary has a lot of work to do even if we had flogged the sharks. It could take 2 years before we are constantly competitive and also for top young talent to want to come to the tigers. It all starts with a culture change in which Ivan is trying to drive home.

Combinations will take awhile aswell. I can't see anyone not giving 100% and we have to judge the tigers this year on performance rather then results.

We by far on paper have an average looking squad and despite making a lot of signings let's face it players like fonua Milne Thompson etc haven't ever been regular first graders. Even players like packer matilino and lolahea have always had talent but not shown consistency really so we just have to except what we have and home they get better through training.

Tiger Ted

Bench
At the end of the day it was only a trial but in saying that Ivan Cleary has a lot of work to do even if we had flogged the sharks. It could take 2 years before we are constantly competitive and also for top young talent to want to come to the tigers. It all starts with a culture change in which Ivan is trying to drive home.

Combinations will take awhile aswell. I can't see anyone not giving 100% and we have to judge the tigers this year on performance rather then results.

We by far on paper have an average looking squad and despite making a lot of signings let's face it players like fonua Milne Thompson etc haven't ever been regular first graders. Even players like packer matilino and lolahea have always had talent but not shown consistency really so we just have to except what we have and home they get better through training.
There’s certainly plenty of question marks & potential concerns about the inadequacies of our squad none greater than the lack of a quality game manager.

Y the f**k Brooks was gifted a 2 yr contract by IC & Pascoe beggars belief ! Is 4 yrs of stark ineptitude not enough compelling evidence that we should have primarily been looking around re the rebuild for a proven game manager.

I know IC is has a pretty good CV re rebuilding basket cases but geez he’s on a hiding to nothing trying to resuscitate a team with such a pathetic spine as ours.We don’t have a single proven great player in the spine!

Clifferd

Coach

Pretty much this. Sharks looked like a side that had been playing with each other since they were kids, and it showed. They looked extremely sharp, whilst we looked like a team that met everyone for the first time at a pub a couple days ago. It'll take time to gel

super_coach

First Grade
People saying this will be a close comp, I think it will be the opposite. I think there will be a stand out group. Probably Easts, cows, storm, sharks. Rung down to Broncos, eels, dragons. Then the rest all pretty even but nowhere near the top lot.

Pretty much the way I see it to. Plenty of people think we are a real chance of the eight, I am sorry we are no chance. You have the Chooks Storm Cows and sharks as specials, than you have Parra Penrith Canberra Bronks in the next group. Behind them you have teams like Manly and The Rabbits. We would need four teams busted for salary cap offences and have points deducted for us to have any chance.

On a positive note if we can lay the platform this year and some how entice a couple of real class player next year, things could get a little brighter for the future. My main concern there is the length of time some of our players are contracted for.

Anyway early days.. who knows what might happen

It’s a trial,while it’s nice to win it’s not the end of the world if you don’t,the trial served it’s purpose displaying that IC and the team have a lot to work on to improve.

Vozzy

Juniors
I actually think we really need Marshall to come of bench so he can come on and take pressure of Brooks or even start at 5/8th. Brooks is all potential and he should by now be having consistent good games. Players like Ash Taylor have passed him in terms of being able to steer a side around the park.

3 years ago I would have said Brooks is young and the sky is his ceiling but I think he has hit his best already and will become a journeyman half back in a few years where he will be on someones books but used during origin or something. I'm prepared to give him another year to prove me wrong.

I'm not doubting his skills cos I have seen him do good things but sometimes it's the simple things he needs to do right like direct the forwards and set up for a backline move or 5th tackles. Players/teams like cronk/melbourne have already planned the 5th tackle on tackle 1 and direct the play so they have time to either kick to a corner/touch or put it in the in goal. He needs to learn just to build pressure.

Tiger Ted

Bench
I actually think we really need Marshall to come of bench so he can come on and take pressure of Brooks or even start at 5/8th. Brooks is all potential and he should by now be having consistent good games. Players like Ash Taylor have passed him in terms of being able to steer a side around the park.

3 years ago I would have said Brooks is young and the sky is his ceiling but I think he has hit his best already and will become a journeyman half back in a few years where he will be on someones books but used during origin or something. I'm prepared to give him another year to prove me wrong.

I'm not doubting his skills cos I have seen him do good things but sometimes it's the simple things he needs to do right like direct the forwards and set up for a backline move or 5th tackles. Players/teams like cronk/melbourne have already planned the 5th tackle on tackle 1 and direct the play so they have time to either kick to a corner/touch or put it in the in goal. He needs to learn just to build pressure.
It won’t surprise if the prodigal son is 7 for the majority of the season coz the disconcerting fact is that Benji is the best option we have for an organiser.

Tigerm

First Grade
It’s a trial,while it’s nice to win it’s not the end of the world if you don’t,the trial served it’s purpose displaying that IC and the team have a lot to work on to improve.
Unfortunately, there is an old saying "Its only a trial, if you lose" the players wouldn't be thinking trials, most are playing to cement there position in the top 17.