What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks v Dragons Rnd 2 2011 MONDAY NIGHT

fizman

Bench
Dynamic trio add teeth to Sharks in 2011

BY BRAD FORREST
09 Dec, 2010 04:00 AM
CRONULLA Sharks fans have been given a pre-Christmas present from coach Shane Flanagan who says with an all representative back row trio — and a return to more ‘‘game specific’’ skills training — the Sharks are armed to fire in 2011.The Sharks now have three great ball-playing back row forwards with premiership-winning New Zealand Test lock Jeremy Smith joining Australian Test lock Paul Gallen and former Australian Test back rower, Anthony Tupou, now getting back to his best after surgery.
Former Dragon Smith, along with boom ex- Panthers five eighth Wade Graham and outside back Colin Best, are the Sharks major signings. One of half a dozen players to undergo off-season surgery, Tupou has been leading many of the training drills for the first time since joining the club.
Flanagan said he was considering using Gallen on the left-hand side of the field, Smith up the middle and Tupou on the right side, with the option of resting one or more during a game. Gallen and Smith have both been excused from pre-Christmas training
‘‘Toops [Tupou] played his best when coming off the bench at the Roosters, so that is obviously something we will look at,’’ Flanagan said. ‘‘Last season he was burdoned by his sister’s illness and death [from cancer], and he was also hampered by a knee injury, which has been sorted out through minor surgery.’’
As well State of Origin prop Kade Snowden and Australian Prime Minister’s XIII prop Luke Douglas will be joined by big Jon Mannah, training the house down since getting the all-clear following his recovery from lymphoma. Mannah didn’t have any off-season training or play an NRL game in 2010, instead returning via the NSW Cup. Sharks insiders also expect hard-hitting prop Josh Cordoba will be improved in his second season back from England.
Flanagan now has a fit squad after other off-season ops. ‘‘Colin Best [returning centre] has had a knee clean-out, half Tim Smith also had a minor shoulder op, winger Stewart Mills is fully recovered from his leg operations and [hooker] Stuart Flanagan and new outside back, John Williams (ex-Cowboys) have benefited from groin operations.’’

As well, outside backs Nathan Stapleton and Matt Parata underwent LARS surgery similar to that successfully performed on the now-retired Sharks goalkicking winger, Luke Covell.
Flanagan predicted that after training with the first grade squad Sharks youngsters, centre Ricky Leutele and back rower Trent Grubb, will put pressure on the more seasoned first graders.
‘‘We need a better start than the last two seasons and so we’ve incorporated more game specific work,’’ he added. ‘‘I think you will see a much more skilled set of players early on. ‘‘We’re a finals force and we want to change the bookies [wooden spoon] forecast.’’

* FOR the second year in a row the NRL has scheduled the Sharks-Dragons local derby at Toyota Stadium for a Monday night, despite the club pressing for the more family friendly Sunday afternoon slot. The March 22 derby is in round two.
The second local derby — the sixth and final game at Kogarah’s Jubilee Oval for the 2011 season — will be played in round 19.

http://www.theleader.com.au/news/lo...th-to-sharks-in-2011/2020490.aspx?storypage=1

DISGRACEFUL

Ausguy

Coach
Worst decision ever. Just turned a 15k plus crowd into 8k.

Not to mention we have 3 out of 4 away games to start due to taking a game to NZ. f**k the nrl.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
The games best derby.

Saints best player in the finals coming up against them.

The Sharks with Colin Best returning

The WORST time slot.

f**king joke.

carcharias

Immortal
they are trying to kill us off.....it is obvious.
As obvious as them getting the Dragons over the line this year.

Last edited:

Ausguy

Coach
f**k em .... I will make a big effort to get there. I urge all others who wouldn't normally go to mnf due to work etc to get there to shove it up the nrl. Merkins.

but the derby was on at toyota on a sunday arvo last year

saturday night before that

so i dunno what they are talking about 2 years in a row.

Quigs

Immortal
Is it confirmed as being the Monday farkkkkking night game.

I can't find it anywhere else, not that Ive looked hard.

Cheers
Declared Idiot #88
Quigs

f**k em .... I will make a big effort to get there. I urge all others who wouldn't normally go to mnf due to work etc to get there to shove it up the nrl. Merkins.

I'll be there! As far as the team goes, MNF could be in their favour for this round, since the previous Rnd(1) is to be on a Sunday in Canberra!
:DThe Dragoons are due for a loss at the hand of Sharks- canardly weight!!

jc155776

Coach
That is farked timing.

Was planning to come down that weekend for a birthday present to myself.

f**ken plans been shat on now.

Hopeless f**king merkins at NRL headquarters.

carcharias

Immortal
but the derby was on at toyota on a sunday arvo last year

saturday night before that

so i dunno what they are talking about 2 years in a row.

At shark park it was a sunday arvo

might have been a monday night at Kogarah or wollongong ..it was a night game that much I do recall.

2010 season we played em at home on a sunday and away on a saturday night

09 season we played em at home on saturday (the chaser were there) and at kogarah on sunday arvo

08 we played em Sat night for both games

07 we played both games on MNF