What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks V Eels - Get There

jc155776

Coach
We're all preaching to the converted here, talk it up with your family & friends, this is going to be bigger than Kurt Sorenson.

From the attitude of some in here I dont think all are converted or doing the hard yards.

Are all too willing to lay the boot into the team but wont even man up and go to the game? Soft cocked is what they are. (Anyone living more then an hour and a hald away or with REAL reasons is excused of course).

shark_fin_soup

Juniors
Parking is a bit expensive. Petrol prices don't help. But i do urge you shire locals and surrounding suburbs to turn up. You fellas have no excuses. I live an hour away. I only turn up to Homebush, Penrith or campbelltown games.

gavin_miller

Juniors
Im a season ticket holder. it means, barring work committments, im at all games no matter what the weather nor form of the team. I know not all can afford to buy upfront, but i just find it the easiest way for me. I do think the club needs to lift its relations with season ticketholders ... they went up $100 almost from last year with very little changes (the awards presentation idea was great...just never happened!). it also means, this week when we expect a bigger crowd, im sorted with my seats and can just rock up and cheer them on. im hoping parra can play as well as last week, wheras we can only get better you'd think!

Ausguy

Coach
southern grandstand bay 38 row j seats 1-4...
got the 3 game pass and the seats are great... a gian tplasma right infront of me... go the sharks...

Sage

Juniors
Tigers were playing without a front row on Sunday. If Parra did not beat them well they would be falling short of whats expected.

They will be coming up against a different proposition this Sunday.

spider

Coach
hopefully the weather predicted will be right

expecting a nice sunny day - lets hope so for the sake of a good crowd

should be better than normal as parra always seem to have a number of supporters at our games so we need to get numbers there

sharknows

Bench
I'm in Peter Burns stand and there are a lot of non season ticket holder seats around me....I'm sure I'll be inundated with Parra supporters this week....just hope they're not as obnoxious as the Penriff ones were...

chiana

Juniors
This is the best debate I’ve read on the forum for ages. At least there is a minimal amount of name calling, although lots of passionate discussion. I think that’s because each individual has their reasons for attending/not attending games.

My family live near Newcastle, and with a family of small children have attended Sharks games for many years. Although not in “the know” as some on here and possibly not as knowledgeable as some of the game itself, I love wearing my Sharks colours anywhere, but especially to a game.

Having thought a little since this subject was brought up I wondered about have I been to as many games as I used to go to and if not why not. Upon which there are several reasons, upon which most if not all have been posted on here.

Of course distance is difficult. It’s at least a four hour round trip from home. In a sense it was easier with younger children as they would sleep on the way down or on the way home. Trying to be organised I would make pumpkin soup and home made bread rolls and often stop near the river on the way to the ground. On really cold nights you would jump out of the car just long enough to stretch your legs before feeling the cold and eat your soup and wonder how the Sharks would play. The soup would at least help with cost. Food at the game is expensive.

We used to marvel at the ability of Preston Campbell and David Peachy. Of course I adored ET and Mark McGaw, and still cheered the lesser known players with as much enthusiasm as I could muster.

When we signed Chris Anderson as coach and let some of our really exciting players go, I started to drift a little. We lost the X factor and the games were not as exciting as they once were. I always wanted the team to win, but just found myself struggling to get to the games as often and enjoying them as much. It’s not because we were losing or not making the eight. I’ve supported the team through think and thin before, so just winning/losing was not the excuse to whether I went or not. I did start to attend again more regularly after Anderson was gone, but it did take a while to warm to it.

Also it’s been mentioned in this thread that pay TV has made a difference to crowds. I believe it must for all clubs. (Of course I have no statistics to back me up). Some clubs might still manage to pull good crowds when winning, but the Sydney clubs especially if they aren’t winning don’t get as many to games as it’s easier to watch on pay TV. It’s not just winning though; it’s winning in an exciting way. Having been to some games this season, after the Tigers my Husband commented on how hard we were to watch at that time. Winning or losing we were not entertaining. To many supporters it’s more than winning or losing.

Of course there is always the economic cost. My children are mostly grown now and going to the football competes with anything from going to the netball to the WWE. There are only so many dollars to go around. It isn’t cheap to take kids to the football, especially when your middle child won’t support the Sharks. (Surely he can’t really be mine). Also a four hour round trip does not excite my middle and youngest anymore and I understand why. Yet I looked at the calendar as I thought the match against the Eels would be great to go and see, but the Husband and middle child have already bought tickets to Australia against China. League in Sydney has so much to compete against already.

There are many reasons people might not attend. I admire those that do make it every week. I really love to see the guys that were wearing the red wigs to Lance’s last game. It’s wonderful that they turn up every week and those who don’t get dressed up are no less important, but there are many reasons why people cannot go every week. I’m not having a shot at anyone on the forum, just my point of view.

I think the team have turned a corner. We are starting to play a brand of football that people will want to come and watch. If it is attractive more will come.

To those that do go every week. What is your demographic? Single, Married, Kids, No Kids. If you don’t live in the area, how far are you away? Do you ever go one your own?

Miller Lite

Juniors
To those that do go every week. What is your demographic? Single, Married, Kids, No Kids. If you don’t live in the area, how far are you away? Do you ever go one your own?

Good read, Chiana.

I try to go to all games, I've only missed the Tits, Rabbits and Dogs games due to work or band commiments. I'm not married and don't have any kids so of course it is a lot easier and cheaper for me. I live in the Inner West so it's about a 45 minute drive each way.

I usually go with a couple of mates so if we feel like boozin' we may train it there and split a cab home. Then (even for me) it becomes an expensive night as we will generally end up in the Leagues speaking in tongues.

I realise every single supporter has different responsibilities, financial situations, lovcations and the like but the thing that got my back up was when the inclement weather was mentioned as a reason for not attending.

I just really hope we start to see more at the games as the season progresses. I really think healthy crowds now will go a long way to us hosting a semi come september!.

VIVA LA SHARKS!

SharkShocked

Bench
Chiana raises the best question yet.

Demographic....

The biggest problem is we are not attracting enough of the most popular supporter of NRL, which would more than likely be the single male aged 18-30. This bracket, no doubt have the most excuses when it comes to going to a game, however generally seem to make up the masses.

Here's a simple solution.

DO NOT SHOW THE GAME AT NORTHIES

If people can't make it an extra 500m down the road and pay the same amount they would hopelessly drinking and slapping away their apparently hard earned dollars, then they don't deserve to be called supporters.

Ever wonder why the cricket when it is on in Sydney is not televised unless its a sell out?

Maybe if we started a rumour that Northies bouncers are the worst in the business then less people would go there.

sharksforever63

Juniors
Fantastic read Chiana.

I live down past Nowra,used to go to about 4 games a year...
Used to love watching ET,Matty,Preston play.....Anderson was a big turn off,loved it when Dean Treiser gave Anderson the bird,think Newcastle was playing!
Loved to watch Dean Treiser play,he mighten have been the best play on the park but had passion for his club.
For me cost is a factor and also where I live.
Went to the Bronco's game,was freezing cold and wet...but a great win.
Joined the football club as a country member so with that get two concourse tickets,so will go to at least one game a year.

Last edited:

newman

First Grade
I go to all home games (missed warriors cause was in Europe.) and go to most Sydney away games (My company has a box at ANZ which makes things easy). Im 27, with a defacto partner who is relative understanding and I live within walking distance to the stadium.

Latest posts