What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shaun Berrigan

ozbash

Referee
so nafe, likiliki and ione would be key in the warriors being successful in 2011?

nafe moreso than likiliki, if he was paired up with a good 7 and 6, who knows. The combo of nafe, maloney and issac john (forget seymour, another dud) would be considerably better than last year and on par with pj, stacey and hohaia in 02.

ok, what do you reckon juju ? ;-)

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
So....they have signed another retiree, despite the talent that they had coming through.....and most on here reckon Bell is doing a good job.

Tell me honestly guys, do you think they are in a position to win the premiership in 2011 ???????

No, I'm sadly confident that we won't win the premiership unfortunately.

I expect a top 8 finish, and I think we've got the team to play consistent enough to even get us into the top 4 with a good injury run, but in the crunch games I don't think we have the class in the 1,6,7,9,13 jerseys to really break open a game when we need to.

The guys we do have that can provide that class are too young to step up and lead from those positions so either way I don't see it being our year in 2011. Happy to be proven wrong though.

ozbash

Referee
says it all really, had a good first year then fell off the pace,, just what we need. another burnt out aussie hack..

Berrigan made 74 appearances after joining from Brisbane ahead of the 2008 season, winning the club's player of the year award in his debut campaign.
o.gif

His first season also included an appearance in the Challenge Cup final at Wembley, but the 13-times capped Australian has struggled for form since, having often been forced to play out of position to cover injuries.
Upon returning from his latest shoulder injury last season, Berrigan found himself filling in at centre because of the improved form of young hooker Danny Houghton.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_league/super_league/hull/9265023.stm

Packy

Bench
Highly unlikely - I have never heard of any front-loading of contracts to be practiced at all - eg. "We pay you 300k this year, then the minimum 55k for the next 3 seasons, so budget wisely."

It doesn't really make any sense, as you are wanting to encourage performance long term from players, and an escalating pay-packet is more likely do that than a declining contract.

The reverse is the practice - "We only have 125,000k of cap space left this year, but we can bump that up to 300k next season if you sign on..." et cetera.

Is that what you are asking?

Dogs did it when we had a large amount of costly players leave in a short period of time. Ryan, Patten and maybe some others were front loaded.

blain

Juniors
I think Its a good buy, we have lost alot of players in the last season and have picked up 3 (now 4), so that tells me alot of guys have had contract up grades. Not long ago he was a regular in the Ozzy side.

We have lost our best centre and (arguably) best hooker. He plays both roles, and adds experience to our line up. He wouldnt be on too much Im assuming, its a one year deal. I cant see any harm in this signing, he should add good depth in a couple areas we were short on this year.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
I find it strange that everyone brings up Likiliki, Ione and Seluini but do any of you guys know these blokes personally? They themselves may have wanted to move to Australia, like alot of young NZers are doing. It may not be a case of us not wanting them but rather they may not want to be a part of us. I honestly think the one from the three we will miss is Seluini, but we already have Heremaia and Mara (now Berrigan) so i'd rather him have a better shot at the Panthers to encourage his development, who knows it may pay off for the Kiwis in a couple of years ;)

Yea Ioane and Seluinin wanted to leave their families and its because they want some aussie sun lol.
They were part of a championship side at the club last year etc etc.
They left because they were either not wanted/rated or told better opportunities elsewhere.

Club made the call on berrigan along time ago. Perhaps evens got a verbal agreement.
Hence the call of letting seluini go - it would not have been in his interest to stay.
While I clearly havent been in favour of this move - at least they were upfront with the players..

The club did with steve rapira a player they did like and apparently told him in the future should he develop and get the opportunity to resign him they will.

They did.

So at least these players are leaving on 'good' terms??

Seluini is a ball runner.
Everybody refers to him as hooker but remember he was an outside back until recently.
Played off the bench and took advantage of space around the ruck and RUN. not much playmakng.

Perhaps warriors should try and wait long in the season before making a call on what players they will sign from nyc.

devoid

Juniors
No, I'm sadly confident that we won't win the premiership unfortunately.

I expect a top 8 finish, and I think we've got the team to play consistent enough to even get us into the top 4 with a good injury run, but in the crunch games I don't think we have the class in the 1,6,7,9,13 jerseys to really break open a game when we need to.

The guys we do have that can provide that class are too young to step up and lead from those positions so either way I don't see it being our year in 2011. Happy to be proven wrong though.

This - but I'm still hopeful.

penrose 06

Juniors
I reckon Berrigan will turn out to be a good signing and probably initially be used at centre. Tate will be sorely missed and Berrigan will play inside Locke and shore up the right side D. Unsure where that leaves INU tho - fighting it out with Locke i guess.

And what about Mateo at lock and maybe Luck to the 2nd row. Mateo will hopefully bring that ball playing flare that we've always looked like we would produce but never seem to consistantly produce week in, week out. Just a thought really but i can often remember him at Para with that big right hand off load around the back of the defender to Lance, Manu or Maloney.

ozbash

Referee
not so, nut.

I would much prefer a proven playmaker with youth on his side as opposed to a geriatric hasbeen :)

ozbash

Referee
Orford looks younger

anyway, you stay out of this, I was giving leaguenutz a rev....