What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shaun Berrigan

LeagueNut

First Grade
I would much prefer a proven playmaker with youth on his side as opposed to a geriatric hasbeen :)

they're both the same age, oz. In fact, Berrigan is six months younger.

LOL!! I think that proves my point about the country air.

Plus Orford is not a "proven playmaker", he's a grafter who managed to fluke a pretty good season in 2008.

And let's be realistic for a second - if the Warriors had really signed Matt Orford you'd be in here bleating about how Issac John is better than Orford and deserves a shot.

ozbash

Referee
Issac is better than Orford,but that wasnt the question..:roll:

now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off for a brisk stroll in the country....:D

Iafeta

Referee
LOL!! I think that proves my point about the country air.

Plus Orford is not a "proven playmaker", he's a grafter who managed to fluke a pretty good season in 2008.

And let's be realistic for a second - if the Warriors had really signed Matt Orford you'd be in here bleating about how Issac John is better than Orford and deserves a shot.

Yep, imagine for a second if the Warriors tried to sign Orford. Poor old oz would be in here about the outrage of the year that the big, mighty corporate Warriors are trying to hold back the wee poor young fellas like Issac John and Shaun Johnson.

The fact of the matter is beyond Seymour and Maloney, the Warriors have Johnson, John and Godinet in research. I'd be concerned if we went for another half, because it genuinely would restrict talent in an area where we are starting to develop options. Going for a hooker and a centre is not an issue given they are areas of comparative depth weakness for us. On the contrary, Canberra needed a halfback particularly with Campese going doing. It's called being strategic with your recruitment...

And to be perfectly frank oz mate, I'm sure you'd be jumping up and down if we signed Orford, and Berrigan went to Canberra, saying Auntie Ive's just can't attract blokes with 29 games rep experience to play under him and all we get is the dreggs.

ozbash

Referee
Poor old oz would be in here about the outrage of the year that the big, mighty corporate Warriors are trying to hold back the wee poor young fellas like Issac John and Shaun Johnson.

pretty much.

Lossy

Juniors
Very happy with the signing.

Even if he doesn't kill it and only stays a year I hope he enjoys his stay and spreads the good word about the Warriors.

Meth

Staff member
Not sure if I am happy with the Berrigan signing or not. The Broncos were crazy to shed him in 2007. But it's now 2011. If he plays like he did in 2007, I'll be happy. If he plays like some of our previous 'past their best' recruitments (like Stacey Jones), then I won't be. We definitely could do with a high quality utility.

ozbash

Referee
Issac did Nibbs, and probably would have finished last season as first choice #7 had he not got injured.
I think a few here forget the 9 game losing streak whilst Seymour was directing play earlly last season. Issac John got a run, clicked with Baloney and,, wella !!!

SJ's time will come, glad we have kept him.

Martli

Coach
Issac did Nibbs, and probably would have finished last season as first choice #7 had he not got injured.
I think a few here forget the 9 game losing streak whilst Seymour was directing play earlly last season. Issac John got a run, clicked with Baloney and,, wella !!!

Wasn't Seymour out for most of the early season? I thought our halves were 7. Maloney and 6. Moon during the losing period?

LeagueNut

First Grade
Wasn't Seymour out for most of the early season? I thought our halves were 7. Maloney and 6. Moon during the losing period?
You're right. Hohaia had a few games in the #6 jersey too.

Still, I like the promise of Isaac John in the halves. John and Maloney played 5 games together last year and won 4 - good signs.

LeagueNut

First Grade
Berrigan's saying all the right things...

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...s-warriors-have-the-goods-20110114-19qz1.html

Berrigan believes Warriors have the goods

Queenslander Shaun Berrigan revealed he linked with the Warriors for his NRL homecoming because he sees them as a realistic premiership threat.

The 2006 Clive Churchill medal winner signed a one-year deal with the club last week after gaining a release from English club Hull FC, and should prove a pivotal acquisition.

Berrigan was named in a list of the Brisbane Broncos best 20 players for their first 20 years and ranks as one of the most gifted all-rounders to have played in the NRL.

The 32-year-old is proficient at hooker, centre and in the halves, and his experience and tenacity will be a major boost for the potentially brilliant, but often inconsistent Warriors.

Despite being knocked out in the first week of the finals last year, Ivan Cleary's side made some major strides in 2010.

They became better at playing away from home, and they've developed exciting young talent across the park.

Cleary swooped to sign Berrigan once it became known the former Test star wanted to return to the southern hemisphere to be closer to his mother and family, who are based in south east Queensland.

Berrigan opted for Auckland ahead of interest from his home state and is confident he can repay his new coach's faith by helping guide the Warriors to a maiden grand final win.

"I spoke to Ivan, he was keen to get me over here," said Berrigan.

"The Warriors are a top-eight team and I thought they'd be the best match for me.

"The Warriors are a good up and coming side and across the board they've got a good young bunch of kids.

"The Warriors 10 years ago, people used to say you can get them in the last 10 minutes of matches. But these boys are very fit and very fast so it's exciting to be a part of."

Berrigan was also one of the game's fittest players when he departed for Hull FC at the end of 2007, and maintained his good condition in the Super League with a view to one day returning to the NRL.

As injuries inevitably play a part in long campaigns, Berrigan's versatility will be an asset for the Warriors.

Hooker is considered to be his best position, and it's likely he'll either start the season in the No.9 shirt or relieve Aaron Heremaia from the bench.

Berrigan said he's not worried about where he fits in.

"I've been moved around my whole career. I'm just one of those guys who loves playing rugby league and I'm happy anywhere the coach puts me," he said.

"Even being a kid I don't remember ever asking to play in a position. You just play in the position the coach puts you in, that's the way I've been brought up."

Jesbass

First Grade

Pardon my confusion, but...what 9 game losing streak? The longest losing streak I can find in 2010 is 3 matches. (Rounds 6 to 8.)

For what it's worth, (and it isn't worth much), Seymour played in the first match, then was out until Round 10. He played that match, as well as the two following matches (to Round 12), then didn't play again until Round 19. His 56% win record while at halfback from then on is nothing to boast about, especially compared to Isaac John's win record at halfback, but at least he got more than 50%, unlike James Maloney in the number 7.