What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shaun Johnson signs a full timer

ozbash

Referee
this is top news alright.

Shaun Johnson took another step towards fulfilling his potential when the highly promising halfback signed a fulltime contract with the Warriors yesterday.
The 18-year-old has been tipped for a big future in the game and was one of five under-20 players who had their contracts upgraded. The others were promising back-rower Elijah Taylor, hooker Alehana Mara, back-rower Sione Lousi and prop James Gavet.

The Warriors are still looking for a prop and outside back to complete their squad for 2010.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/league/new...ectid=10598405

playdaball

Bench
this is top news alright.

The Warriors are still looking for a prop and outside back to complete their squad for 2010.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/league/new...ectid=10598405

Prop - there is a test prop with over 100 1st grade games who has just been signed up by the Knights ... shame we missed out on him.

Centre- What about Matt King?

The Warriors should target Poms or ANZACs returning Downunder. Kevin Campion and Logan Swann are examples of this whilst Gareth Ellis is an Englishman who has played well at the Tigers.

Surely it is now too late to secure any half decent players?

Iafeta

Referee
Good news indeed. So out of the U20s from this year, the ones who've gone to over for next year that we haven't contracted are;

Kyle Bos - didn't see enough of him, to me in the only time I saw him he looked a mini Grant Rovelli
Michael Afioga - its hard to know, I felt earlier he couldn't make it as he was often put into pouring gaps but the last few games he toughened up through the middle a lot. Hard decisioni.
Junior Afualo - I don't think the partnership between himself and Laban provided effective front foot ball. I don't think he will make it.
Jason Cook - this one's a shame, clever player who plays safe at the back and very direct and clinical. I wouldn't think he could ever be a Slater or a Bowen, but I feel he could be a good tradesman fullback.
Kurt Kara - Probably hard done by due to the fact he's become more of a utility. Centre, lock, hooker, five eighth. Good player, but probably misses that last piece of organisation to be a true half, last bit of speed to be a true centre, and perhaps the last bit of size to be a true lock.

I'm comfortable with who we kept, I'm actually surprised they did keep Gavet. Not that I don't think he's an exceptional talent, but usually the Warriors of late haven't seemed to have kept his type of player and by that I mean a bloke who doesn't play a lot of minutes. He needs to work on his durability very hard in the off season. If you could get 30 minutes out of him at this stage in his career, with his natural ball skills I think he could be quite damaging at NRL level.

The one most likely to play first grade first IMO is Alehana Mara. There's an opening at hooker, Hendo has lost the spark and now is just looking to pick off penalties and opposition markers are aware of it and are putting the arms up innocently and from there Hendo becomes cannon fodder and kills momentum. His passing game is also suspiciously slow.

Lego_Man

First Grade
We need a Prop? Ive got an idea, let's sign Evarn Tu.....oh wait.

I'm most excited about Mara to be honest, hooker was a position that let us down badly with Hendog's sh*t last year.

D

Deleted member 10972

So where does this leave Kara, Bristow and Afioga?

To be completely honest, Bos, Cook and Afualo never looked first-grade standard players, although Cook always put in 100%, a bit like Roosters fullback Grant Nelson.

But Afioga was one of the better linebreaking backrowers in the NYC, Bristow was one of the more dangerous centres (albeit in limited appearances) and Kara has great utility value.

Iafeta

Referee
The SKY commentators indicated a few weeks ago that Afioga was off elsewhere, not sure where that is.

Bristow has left the club, believe he's bound for North Queensland. I'm not overly fussed on that one, not sure his game would work against more physically demanding players.

Kara, not sure. Perhaps local footy?

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Kara was one of the warriors best in NYC this year probably should have played more last year. I hope he keeps on playing.

Big problem with the junior warriors is they keep on producing utlity players.
Especially in the halves.

I think it is really negative when they have continually picked players like Dan O'regan, taylor and kara at standoff.

D

Deleted member 10972

Kara was one of the warriors best in NYC this year probably should have played more last year. I hope he keeps on playing.

Big problem with the junior warriors is they keep on producing utlity players.
Especially in the halves.

I think it is really negative when they have continually picked players like Dan O'regan, taylor and kara at standoff.

Remember though, that both seasons, the main U20's halves (John in 2008, Johnson in 2009) were initially partnered by Jody Henry, but each season he fell out of favor and Warriors threw utilities in instead.

PASSION

Juniors
remember though, that both seasons, the main u20's halves (john in 2008, johnson in 2009) were initially partnered by jody henry, but each season he fell out of favor and warriors threw utilities in instead.

what has happened to jody henry?? Or is he injured or what??

shiznit

Coach
We need a Prop? Ive got an idea, let's sign Evarn Tu.....oh wait.

I'm most excited about Mara to be honest, hooker was a position that let us down badly with Hendog's sh*t last year.
i dont know if thats fair... Evarn probably just commands too much money for a rotation prop. im not saying hes not worth it.... but i think the warriors know its better to spend money on positions theve traditionally struggled to fill locally.

the part that probably makes me scratch my head is while i understand letting Evarn go.... why did they let Lesson Ah Mau go?? it would have been far better signing him and letting Evarn go... instead they let both go and now there scrambling to buy a prop. there recruitment team seems clueless sometimes...

Last edited:

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
i dont know if thats fair... Evarn probably just commands too much money for a rotation prop. im not saying hes not worth it.... but i think the warriors know its better to spend money on positions theve traditionally struggled to fill locally.

the part that probably makes me scratch my head is while i understand letting Evarn go.... why did they let Lesson Ah Mau go?? it would have been far better signing him and letting Evarn go... instead they let both go and now there scrambling to buy a prop. there recruitment team seems clueless sometimes...

If a 100 game kiwi international commands too much money for a rotation prop then Ah Mau was definately asking too much for a rookie who had only made a couple of first grade games.

Aren't they managed by the same person, Banaghan or whatever his name is? The guy who played a big part in helping us rort the cap so he could get his grubby hands on extra cash. Scum!

footy1

Juniors
This is good work by the Warriors in signing Johnson to a full-time contract. He is home grown and it seems he is being groomed to take over the 6 or 7 jersey in the near future. It's good to see the Warriors making sure their best talent isn't lost to other clubs.

shiznit

Coach
If a 100 game kiwi international commands too much money for a rotation prop then Ah Mau was definately asking too much for a rookie who had only made a couple of first grade games.

Aren't they managed by the same person, Banaghan or whatever his name is? The guy who played a big part in helping us rort the cap so he could get his grubby hands on extra cash. Scum!
what?? do you know how much Evarn was asking for??

im assuming Ah Mau would have cost less than half of what Evarn would have been asking for

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
what?? do you know how much Evarn was asking for??

im assuming Ah Mau would have cost less than half of what Evarn would have been asking for

I have no idea what Evarn was asking for, you're the one who first said he was probably asking for too much. With Ah Mau having the same manager, one who has a history of playing hardball, then it's safe to assume he was asking for more than he was worth as well.

The Warriors have already come out and said that they wanted to keep Ah Mau, but his manager stuffed around in negotiation so they withdrew their offer so it's not like we let Ah Mau go because we didn't want him.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
what has happened to jody henry?? Or is he injured or what??

This year I think he got in a little bit of trouble or simply fell out. He ended up going back to play for pukekohe pythons and wining the Senior A comp.

He wasnt the complete halfback but he was one of the biggest guns coming through junior grades.

However Warriors did cut corners in putting in backrowers.

They are doing alright in regards to recruitment however if you look at the majority of the player they are WAY to focused on size. Bigger & blacker seems to be their recruitment policy.

secondrowers at 6.
However Niko & Vuna on the wing = stupid.

Latest posts