What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shaun Johnson signs for 2022

Leber

Bench
The games you lost to us and the cowboys, the halves couldn’t have organised a shot at the droppie any worse. Last week SJ kicked a match winning field goal, that is already a massive step up in that department
The cowboys game, the first sea eagles game and both knights games, we would have had a much better shot at winning those at the end with shaun.

Our current halves have no idea how to close out a tight one.

The cowboys game, the first sea eagles game and both knights games, we would have had a much better shot at winning those at the end with shaun.

Our current halves have no idea how to close out a tight one.
They have no idea how to finish a set let alone close a game. We must have the lowest number of forced drop outs in the comp this year. Even people who are not that keen on Shaun must be pleased that we might start seeing something more than just misplaced bombs at the end of sets or people who didn't even expect the ball getting caught on the last.

Given everything, if that’s the case then yet another huge question over the Warriors coaching and development processes?
Probably, but I think it is also fair to say that the players benefit immensely from being taken out of their comfort zone and exposed to a much more ruthless Aussie environment. The problem of mediocrity being indulged is a flaw that afflicts all of New Zealand society, in my opinion, not just the Warriors.

Last edited:

sup42

Juniors
Given everything, if that’s the case then yet another huge question over the Warriors coaching and development processes?
Inferior junior and club leagues not withstanding SJ being from touch footy....it is a real problem.

Jones was the last organiser the Warriors developed in house, however he was special, played that way from the craddle.

This problem of organizing halves is not just restricted to the NZ situation, look at this era of NRL footy, even the Aussies have a distinct lack of serious depth in the organizing department, which is why someone like Chad can ask for 800K.

The Benji Marshall effect, few kids are interested in organising skills and field kicking.

But just looking at the Johnson situation, going to the Sharks forced him to adapt his game, because they were not happy with his skip sideways efforts when he arrived.

Bit harder for the Warriors to force a local marquee to do anything, and that is partly coaching, mostly culture imo.

Problem is, most guys cannot just learn what Johnson has, he is an exceptional talent, so he could learn pretty much anything including drop goals.

It takes time though, and if you look at his progression, he used to have an ineffective bomb and nothing else.

Last few years at the Warriors he developed an in goal kick and is really pretty good with it.

But at the Sharks, he stopped just lobbing it for ten meters for a touch finder and started building a long game.

And it is that long game that we need.

The art of running a team is a dying Art.

Reactions: JJ
I was never a fanboi. Even back in his under twenties days, there were a few things about his play that I could never reconcile what we got out of him with the million dollar price tag.

But he is one of ours, so when he went to the Sharks I kept following him, because I knew he was an excellent player talent wise, and I was curious about whether he could learn to organize a game in an Aussie system.

He is a much better player than the one who left us, and he is coming at a price where the Warriors have won the long game.

The Warriors never wanted to lose him. He refused to take seven hundred and fifty grand.

Now the boy is coming home the man, he is the right type of half now, the player this team is missing, and the Warriors won here, Shaun has had to humble himself, which is a credit to him, and a credit to the Warriors culture.
Just on your last sentence, I agree with all that, I would also add that the Sharks culture has made him be humble as well.
There is a great story how at training he would rip everything apart and look like the world beater he could be, but never produce it enough in a game.
He was doing it again at training and Wado had enough, lined him up, flattened him on his arse, then just walked back into his position.

I'm happy for him to be back with you guys, he has actually learnt a great deal about the overall game from our club.

JJ

Immortal
Just on your last sentence, I agree with all that, I would also add that the Sharks culture has made him be humble as well.
There is a great story how at training he would rip everything apart and look like the world beater he could be, but never produce it enough in a game.
He was doing it again at training and Wado had enough, lined him up, flattened him on his arse, then just walked back into his position.

I'm happy for him to be back with you guys, he has actually learnt a great deal about the overall game from our club.
We need a character like Graham or Gallen, Campion and Price (and Wiki) had those roles (and of course those correlate with our successful periods), but nobody at the moment - maybe Tohu Harris needs to be mentored, or just step up

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
The games you lost to us and the cowboys, the halves couldn’t have organised a shot at the droppie any worse. Last week SJ kicked a match winning field goal, that is already a massive step up in that department
Beat me to it. Our chances of getting a win in a field goal/GP situation just improved 500%. We’ve been atrocious at that ever since he left.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
If your middle wins Shaun will get you points, stop whining when you lose the middle and he cannot do Shyte.

JJ

Immortal
If your middle wins Shaun will get you points, stop whining when you lose the middle and he cannot do Shyte.
The great ones can do shyte…. He’s not a great one, but was paid like one and thought he was one…. That stand still and shovel the ball on crap drives me mad

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I’d be happy with him, presumed they’d gone off him given SJ. Really need to develop CHT

Mr Angry’s suggestion of Hodgson is interesting, I like Egan but that’s a step up

Hodgson is slow as f**k. He's been benched by the Raiders in a rubbish year, then sooked about it. No thank you very much.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
WTF WOW 🤩

MIND BLOWN.

finally great news and the biggest period of signing in Warriors history.

what’s happening? When the phone was ringing hot did George reply take 2 years to get back to the players

Hahaha, love this. Nah, Cameron George is a sub-par operator, but as soon as Gus Gould comes on board, doors open. George got lucky that Gould wants a challenge and it was us. It's incredible the pull that Gus has. He must lay on a sermon like he used to before Origin, and they eat it up. O'Sullivan obviously deserves some praise as well.