What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shaun Johnson vs Benji Marshall

robcole1

Juniors
Who is better? Benji at his prime or Shaun? if Shaun is even at his

who would you rather have on your team and why?

Who has the better step? Who is faster? And the better player overall

DIMEAST

Juniors
Shaun will be a much better rugby league player than Benji and is a better athlete. SJ is just as entertaining but without the stupid flick passes

Tommy Smith

Referee
Shaun Johnson isn't even close to his peak yet.

Benji pretty much peaked in his early to mid-20s. Then like a great Brazilian footballer he just lost interest and turned to shit overnight.

I'd love to see what Shaun Johnson could achieve beside a half or 5/8 the quality of Scott Prince in his prime.

maple_69

Bench
Sorry but this Benji hate is just out of hand. I rate Johnson very highly. Id hope my club would sign him in front of any other half except DCE. Benji was, however, the best player in the game 3 years ago and had a number of very high level seasons including a premiership win. Johnson has a long way to go and outside of the odd brutal game, he hasn't matched Benji's peak yet.

Billythekid

First Grade
Benji has won a WC, premiership and a golden boot. At one point he was right up with the best players in the game. His last 2 years where he sucked have really blinded people to the rest of his career.

shiznit

Coach
I've always considered Johnson a much better player...

He has all the gifts Benji has... But he also has gifts that Benji doesn't... He's about 10-15kgs bigger than Benji was at his peak, and he has a kicking game...

But people quite rightly point out that Benji actually has runs on the board... Johnson actually has to prove himself first.

What we need from Shaun Johnson is to play how Benji Marshall can't play... He needs to learn how to control a game, and come up with the right plays at the right times.

He's shown glimpses so far... The prelim final against Melbourne in 2011, the first half of the test a couple of weeks ago...

Once he does that consistently... He will be the best in the game...

But it's easier said than done...

Slackboy72

Coach
Benji was brilliant at times. Shaun can be too. Will he be regarded better than Marshall? Time will tell.
Shaun just looks like he would be a superstar if he played somewhere other than the Warriors. In Autralia he would be mobbed and adulated. In NZ he's in a sport that's ignored in favour of union. His game on Saturday was phenominal though. Maybe canberra were shit but the Warriors were doing interval training sprints most of the match and he was right in the thick of it getting the key things right.

BranVan3000

Coach
Say what you like about Benji but he won a premiership, did some incredible things on the field ad was one of the biggest stars and crowd drawers in the game for a number of years. A bit sad he lost it overnight

gronkathon

First Grade
Marshall at this stage.

Comparrisson is difficult. I hate to think the damage Benji would have done in his prime behind the Warriors pack

papabear

Juniors
lol at this thread.

Benji was so much better it isn't even funny.

The Kiwis had forward momentum for most of the test and SJ couldn't put anything on, nothing.

If Benji was at his prime they would have won that test easily...

shiznit

Coach
Lol... People here are overblowing what Benji was like in his prime...

He was exciting... Thrill a minute...

But Marshall in his prime had MASSIVE holes in his game.

shiznit

Coach
lol at this thread.

Benji was so much better it isn't even funny.

The Kiwis had forward momentum for most of the test and SJ couldn't put anything on, nothing.

If Benji was at his prime they would have won that test easily...
Absolute rubbish...

The kiwis first half dominance was based as much on Johnsons kicking game as it was the Kiwis pack.

even benji in his prime had no kicking game... If benji had played in that test we would have been thumped by 60.

Dr Gonzo

Juniors
Marshall was the best player in the world in 2010 when the field was very fierce. WC, Golden Boot and Premiership. Johnson hasnt got even close to that.

JJ

Immortal
Not sure it's a good question yet...

Benji, I think, was a bit overrated in his prime, but at least racked up some serious achievements... and his career might not be quite done with yet...

Johnson also a sublime talent has proven very little... he's been dominant against poor teams, and gone missing in others... next 5 years will tell for him, if he gets it together, I expect he'll be regarded more highly

shiznit

Coach
Yeah it's a bit of a silly question...

It's like asking who's better in they're prime... JT or DCE...

We need to see how the kid pans out first...

God-King Dean

Immortal
Exact same player.

Exciting to watch, & therefore over hyped/rated, with glaring flaws in their game that the media gloss over.