What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shaun Johnson vs Benji Marshall

Charlie124

First Grade
Benji easily.

The guy was world class and when your team came up against the tigers, he was the one you'd be shitting your pants about, he could turn absolutely nothing into something magic. Johnson is a great prospect and has obvious talent, but let's see if he can maintain that high level for as long as Benji or JT or Cam Smith or Lockyer or GI or......you get the picture.

And I'm not sure Benji is done and over the hill just yet either. I think his drop in form and disinterest towards the end at the tigers has more to do with the tigers than his own talent. He's out of his comfort zone now (by his own choice, brushing the sharks offer), he's come back with a point to prove and I back him to do just that.

betcats

Referee
Similar talents...Johnson has done some brilliant things but Benji had a couple brilliant seasons so Shaun has a ways to go before he catches Benji, he is very capable of doing so but its not a forgone conclusion imo.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Exact same player.

Exciting to watch, & therefore over hyped/rated, with glaring flaws in their game that the media gloss over.

Just out of interest, what are these glaring flaws?

I bet you'll say defence. Those of us who watch him week-in, week-out have seen a massive improvement of the speed hump he was particularly two years ago. He copped a lot of treatment in the Storm game a fortnight ago, made 20 tackles, held his own and had enough energy to mastermind the winning try towards the end.

He's also missed bugger all this season, apart from round 1.

The flaws in his game are consistency and dedication. He thrived under Cleary, sooked under McClennan and Elliott, and now looks like he's responding to McFadden.

He has a much better all-round game than Benji, is bigger and less susceptible to injury, and hopefully when he becomes a better professional he'll achieve all Benji did and a bit more.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Its hard to judge Benji, much of his prime years were lost due to his injuries.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Its hard to judge Benji, much of his prime years were lost due to his injuries.

That becomes part of the judgement. If he isn't able to stay on the field, that's part of being a sportsman. Shaun was just as skinny as Benji in his teens but is now big enough to withstand the punishment of being an NRL halve.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well in that case, Benji had more balls, because he would to trying to make tackles on big blokes that he should have avoided.

Whereas Johnson just got walked over due to his feeble efforts.

vvvrulz

Coach
Too early to judge but looking at *potential* Johnson could well surpass Benji.

Benji was great in his prime, though he had a few glaring problems and fell away dramatically.
That said he gets a stupid amount of hate on this forum.

Johnson has a more well rounded game and should become one of the elite halves of the competition over time. He mainly needs to sort his head out and sort out the fact that he goes missing at times, this may fix itself over time.

Bit of a silly question to compare the two now.

stevie013

Juniors
meh, another glorified touch footballer who carved the raiders a new one and has the very occasional good game.

this should be asked at the end of his career, not a couple of years into it.

betcats

Referee
Just out of interest, what are these glaring flaws?

I bet you'll say defence. Those of us who watch him week-in, week-out have seen a massive improvement of the speed hump he was particularly two years ago. He copped a lot of treatment in the Storm game a fortnight ago, made 20 tackles, held his own and had enough energy to mastermind the winning try towards the end.

He's also missed bugger all this season, apart from round 1.

The flaws in his game are consistency and dedication. He thrived under Cleary, sooked under McClennan and Elliott, and now looks like he's responding to McFadden.

He has a much better all-round game than Benji, is bigger and less susceptible to injury, and hopefully when he becomes a better professional he'll achieve all Benji did and a bit more.

You ask him a question, then tell him what his answer will be and then tell him what his answer should be lol.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Haha, yeah..but odds are it was defence. Then I was nice enough to paint a picture based on having seen fairly well every game of his career.

But then again, playing behind our monster forwards he should be doing better.

Billythekid

First Grade
I would say his problem is consistency. Some games he just looks sh*t and then the next he looks like a world beater. That plus at times he just seems to go completely missing.

Edit: And there have been games where that has happened this year as well.

Last edited:

vvvrulz

Coach
I would say his problem is consistency. Some games he just looks sh*t and then the next he looks like a world beater. That plus at times he just seems to go completely missing.

Edit: And there have been games where that has happened this year as well.

Johnson was diabolically bad against the Eels this year.
Seems to have turned the tide under McFadden, hopefully a sign off good things to come.

Also whoever said that he didn't perform in the ANZAC test is off his rocker.

Billythekid

First Grade
Johnson was diabolically bad against the Eels this year.
Seems to have turned the tide under McFadden, hopefully a sign off good things to come.

Also whoever said that he didn't perform in the ANZAC test is off his rocker.

He has the skills to be as good as anyone. If someone manages to get the best out of him consistently warriors will be in a great spot.

shiznit

Coach
With the greatest respect to Benji... He's had a great career.

If Shaun Johnson ends his career achieving the same as Benji has... I see that as an underachievement for him.

Johnson is the most gifted half I have ever seen.... He's basically Benji without the flaws... He does EVERYTHING Benji can do, only better. Plus he's faster, bigger and stronger.

The mental aspect is what he lacks... And let's be honest here... That's not a small thing for a half... If I were to grade it out of 100, I'd say the mental aspect makes up 50% of the grade,

I follow Joey Johns' thoughts on him... If he can sort the mental side out ... His physical gifts will carry him further than any kiwi rugby league player has ever gone.

It's all up to him though...

WellsNZ

Juniors
Marshall at this stage.

Comparrisson is difficult. I hate to think the damage Benji would have done in his prime behind the Warriors pack

because the Warriors have a big pack that gets a roll on so often right?

I'm sure he would have flourished under having a different coach every season too.

DIMEAST

Juniors
Johnson's had 5 coaches in three years, mostly complete duds. Added with a lazy, inconsistent team for the most part - that's no environment for a young half to flourish. The real test will be from here on in imo.

For the record, Marshall was a great player who was overly criticised and it was sad to see what a mess his last years at the tigers ended up being

papabear

Juniors
Absolute rubbish...

The kiwis first half dominance was based as much on Johnsons kicking game as it was the Kiwis pack.

even benji in his prime had no kicking game... If benji had played in that test we would have been thumped by 60.

lol what are you like 12 or a warriors fan. If you are a warriors fan check your bias at the door you fool.

Benji at his prime carried an average tigers team to a premiership.

He also won a world cup and some games against Australia with a worse forward pack, the best nz had were blokes like asotasi.

SJ is so overrated it isn't funny, his best play is picking up a dropped ball and going the length, in terms of setting up himself or those around him hes got nothing unless the defence falls asleep.

I am pretty sure he had a hand in only one of nzs tries.

Benji was a very very good player who had some injuries after his premiership and some good years once he got back, a garbage year or two is all he has had, SJ has had more garbage years in his tiny little puissant career thus far.