What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shaun Johnson

Wizardman

First Grade
I admit that I wrote this bloke off two years ago. What a difference a new coach is making with this guy.

I have seen something that I've never seen from Johnson in his career....he is a actually...a f**king game manager. I've never seen him play this smart....yet is still dangerous on his feet. But, his main weapon this year has been his mind and mental strength.

He is playing career best footy in terms of using his brain. All credit to him and the Warriors coaching staff.

I hope you guys take it out this year as my Tigs sure as f**k won't.

Grizzman

Juniors
His defense this year has really been at another level. I thought he handled Kikau really well last week and Talakai again tonight. His game management is better and he's taking on the line causing doubt in the defenders. Really pleased for him.

nswarrior

Juniors
His game management and defence has been top notch. He is one of the best players in the comp at the moment.

Seems to have picked up a bit of speed compared to the last couple of season too

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
He's always been a good defender on his day, he's not a small body. He's always had the talent, the speed, the passing game, the ability to take on the line etc...

He'd have to be the biggest enigma or close to in NRL history. A guy who oozes pride at times, yet has gone season upon season for us mailing in performances. He's only ever played well under good coaches, which is probably an indictment on both him and some of the duds we've appointed. Clearly he respects Webster and Webster is getting the best out of him.

But hey, let's just enjoy what we have this year. He's in outstanding form.

I fully respect a guy who can kick a winning goal like that, when the pressure gets to me so much that I almost miss my opening tee shot at golf in front of 5 or 6 people who aren't even really watching.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I think the thing with SJ is he really just enjoys playing footy, and is at his best when he can be part of the team and do just that, and not be expected to carry the whole side on his shoulders. He’s not an Andrew Johns but give him a good coach with a game plan and teammates who have his back and he shines. Too often in previous seasons at the Warriors I think the pressure of expectation has weighed him down and he just hasn’t looked like he was comfortable and enjoying himself.

Rich102

Staff member
I agree with all the previous comments.
To them I add fitness.
This team is fitter than any of our previous teams by some way and it shows.
I too wrote SJ off, glad he is proving me wrong.

TheDMC

Bench
I agree with all the previous comments.
To them I add fitness.
This team is fitter than any of our previous teams by some way and it shows.
I too wrote SJ off, glad he is proving me wrong.
Agree Rich, no team we have played thus far has seemed fitter than us.

Izz

Bench
Gallen threw in a line about tiring the Warriors out at the beginning of the first half, too. He was in full on whinge mode by the end of the game, though :D:D

JJ

Immortal
Shaun’s had good months before to be fair, let’s just watch and see I think

I am full of humble pie. Been riding SJ to the dirt the past few seasons. Shame on me and good on SJ. Keep it up and I'm sure more will be full of the same pie.

Im skepticle.

I never wanted him for this season. Im a huge fan of Metcalf and wanted him starting. But there is know way you can drop SJ after the wave we are riding.
I think SJ being in his own home in his own bed in his own city in his own Country has been the deal breaker.
Still a massive fan of Metcalf though

Im skepticle.

I never wanted him for this season. Im a huge fan of Metcalf and wanted him starting. But there is know way you can drop SJ after the wave we are riding.
I think SJ being in his own home in his own bed in his own city in his own Country has been the deal breaker.
Still a massive fan of Metcalf though

Metcalf still in the background as a back up is such a good position to be in though. I also rate him very highly with many aspects of his game reminding me of a young SJ. Once he heals he will have to wait for someone to get injured / suspended or a drop in form to warrant a call up to FG. We are in good shape atm and loving it :)

Last edited:

sup42

Juniors
Well done Warriors for signing SJ for 2024 on a one year deal.

Suits the club well, and they showed real nous by sticking to a sensible year by year scenario....any longer only suits the aging player, not the club.

We can all relax now, next year we have a premiership shot that looks strong.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Ye of little faith.

I have been Shaun's biggest fan at LU.

Won player of the year at my club.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Well done Warriors for signing SJ for 2024 on a one year deal.

Suits the club well, and they showed real nous by sticking to a sensible year by year scenario....any longer only suits the aging player, not the club.

We can all relax now, next year we have a premiership shot that looks strong.
The sort of smart deal we absolutely wouldn't have done in the past. Nice.