What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shaun Johnson's Match Winner

TimmyB

Juniors
It's a reasonable point.

In the review Archer said "Keith Galloway ran through the line and Robbie Farah which disadvantaged the Canberra defensive line".

One could argue that Johnsons try could be fit within that category.

I actually don't think the Raiders defensive line was disadvantaged anymore than the Warriors because they made a good read in defence. Nonetheless I'm comfortable with ours being a no try and the Warriors being awarded.

Farah ran behind Galloway whilst he was making the decoy run and was almost in a position to receive the ball. Johnson ran behind Mannering when the decoy run was complete. The defensive line had no expectation he might get the ball. Big difference in my opinion. One was a technical breach where a player ran directly behind a decoy runner and it was sloppy play. The other was just broken field running that happened to go behind a player.

As a fellow Tigers fan Vic, it's time to let go my friend.

papabear

Juniors
Obvious Shepard? He was 10ms from the defensive line and kicked the ball 1m after jogging behind Keith Galloway. No one was going to tackle him.

I said at the time i was fine with them penalizing it if they're consistent. But they clearly haven't been. If Shaun Johnson doesn't run inside (behind) Mannering he doesn't score. Don't know how much more of an advantage you can get.

1 - it wasn't the match winner the raiders scored again and whose to say they wouldn't have scored again even if the tigers got a dodgy call to get them in front.

2 - They got a massive advantage in that they continued the play after the shepherd and scored a try from it. If he just took the tackle and conceded, no try. Or he could have kicked the ball from the other side of Galloway but then the kick would have gone into the back of Galloway and been a penalty, hence he needed to run a shepherd.

In conclusion - get back into your box.

Vic Mackey

Referee
1 - it wasn't the match winner the raiders scored again and whose to say they wouldn't have scored again even if the tigers got a dodgy call to get them in front.

2 - They got a massive advantage in that they continued the play after the shepherd and scored a try from it. If he just took the tackle and conceded, no try. Or he could have kicked the ball from the other side of Galloway but then the kick would have gone into the back of Galloway and been a penalty, hence he needed to run a shepherd.

In conclusion - get back into your box.

I have never once said the tigers try should have been allowed.

If point 2 is correct, Johnson got a massive advantage by running behind Mannering. So you're admitting it shouldn't have been a try?

Iafeta

Referee
It's a reasonable point.

In the review Archer said "Keith Galloway ran through the line and Robbie Farah which disadvantaged the Canberra defensive line".

One could argue that Johnsons try could be fit within that category.

I actually don't think the Raiders defensive line was disadvantaged anymore than the Warriors because they made a good read in defence. Nonetheless I'm comfortable with ours being a no try and the Warriors being awarded.

Farah ran behind Galloway whilst he was making the decoy run and was almost in a position to receive the ball. Johnson ran behind Mannering when the decoy run was complete. The defensive line had no expectation he might get the ball. Big difference in my opinion. One was a technical breach where a player ran directly behind a decoy runner and it was sloppy play. The other was just broken field running that happened to go behind a player.

As a fellow Tigers fan Vic, it's time to let go my friend.

Mannering didn't run into the line or through the line. Johnson cut back against the grain. The guys near Mannering were never coming up to tackle Johnson, they were holding the line firm/setting up incase Johnson had have played an outside play. Johnson cuts back, and Jayson Mongkuya stands like a statue completely mesmorised by Johnson's step, which is a good 15 metres away from Mannering.

Vic Mackey, give yourself a triple pal. Galloway got involved with the line, Farah feigned and then went behind the line that couldn't get up to him, completely different situation.

Latest posts