What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sheens New Deal?????

Magpies_74

Juniors
Wests Tigers coach Tim Sheens pins hopes on new-found attitude of the club

Stuart Honeysett From: The Australian February 17, 2010

SINCE winning the premiership in 2005, Wests Tigers have promised much and delivered little. Now coach Tim Sheens is hoping a new-found attitude will propel the club from underachievers to contenders once again.

"Our theme this year is to go from full-time to professional," Sheens said.

"We've got to be a little tougher, a little bit more consistent and some of the strategies that we're planning to do in that area will give us that.

"You've got to win games rather than look good in games sometimes, so there's an element of us having to be a bit stronger in some aspects of our discipline.

"Preparation will beat talent most days, so we need to be a lot better prepared."

Tigers hooker Robbie Farah said the team was fed up at having not played finals football since winning the title.

"Obviously, we're trying to find that reason why we've missed the semis the last four years," Farah said.

"I guess sometimes you call yourself a full-time footballer but you don't act professional, and we've just said we want to be more professional in everything we do.

"Winning starts at training and how you prepare. We just want to be professional in everything."

Regardless of how the team performs in 2010, the Tigers have already held talks with coach Tim Sheens about staying on.

Having guided the team since 2003, Sheens is contracted until the end of the year. The club hopes to have a new deal sealed before the season starts on March 12.

Sheens acknowledged that the roster was one of the strongest he had been involved with during his time at the club.

Farah and five-eighth Benji Marshall will spark the attack while Keith Galloway, Todd Payten, Bryce Gibbs, Gareth Ellis and Chris Heighington form an imposing pack.

Fullback Tim Moltzen and centres Blake Ayshford and Chris Lawrence are now established first graders and the backline will be bolstered when former Wallaby Lote Tuqiri arrives after completing his commitments with English rugby club, Leicester.

"We've been experimenting with some new ideas and we'll have a slightly different look to our game," Sheens said.

"If the injury gods and the video referee and the shape of the ball do the right thing, then we'll certainly have the right attitude.

"We'll still be a side that can score points but we had 15 less tries scored against us last year than we've had since I've been there, so I'd like to better that again.

"That will win us those close games this year."
-------------------------------------------------------------

It's 2007 all over again.......FMD

westie

Bench
Bellamy - an understudy coach... has been doing this since the exact time "the master coach" was signed. Why is it that a young bloke has more idea of what's required than a dude that had 3/4 of the Roos since the early 90's. Bellamy played in his sides and is more of a coach than Sheens will ever be. Sheens is learning off this man. Every year Sheens fails he is simply embarrassing himself in the eyes of those who pay attention.

I can understand losing for those years that you're on the down of a salary cap cycle but Sheens has had two ups and two downs and still failed. Just like Elliott and other geniuss who have been sacked for doing more than Sheens has.

The '05 was a fluke. This has been admitted by Noyce and Sheens himself. '06 was our year in the salary cap cycle and we missed the 8. '05 happened because of a great bit of momentum. Once it started - did any of you expect us to lose?

Gaba

First Grade
I dont know why people are hard on sheens for , he is capable of coming up with game plans , unlike i can say about Bellamy

Borat.

Juniors
Bellamy has struggled MAJORLY at SOO....

He has done very very well with a Fantastic side with no injury run I can think of....to his key players anyway

Lets see how he goes if his side ever gets split up and he has to rebuild....

Westie do you actually support the tigers...05 was a fluke......LMAO I expect this from other supporters but maybe you should give the boys a pat on the back every now and then.....

super_coach

First Grade
I think their is enough doubters within the power brookers in our club to actually construct a contract that would require Sheens to achieve certain goals in 2010 before being rewarded with a extension beyond the end of the season.

My only worry is, their will be at least one or two clubs trying to lure him on board and that demand may force our mob to act quickly rather than wisely.

Anyway its no real big deal, their hundreds of coaches out their that would die for the job and lets remember the likes of Sheens and Bennett all started from scratch and someone took a punt on them and look where they are today.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Ah, WT entranced by the cobra............ if we re-sign him at this stage WT deserve everything they get. Hope they dont, they have to wait for runs on the board first surely.

simmo1

First Grade
Who was the last coach to go 5 seasons without making the semis, and not be sacked? Pearce or Raudonikas maybe? FMD no other club accepts mediocrity as much as us.

DanOz

Juniors
Aside from 2005 sheens coached sides have missed the semis for the last 12 years. Sack this imbecile and give Folkes a go. - you can't do any worse than not playing finals football year after year.

yappy

Bench
Tommy never got the chance to miss the semis for four seasons in a row (we made the finals in 96).

I can't think of too many coaches apart from Junior and Sheens who have gone more than three years without a semi appearance. Bob Boland (Panthers 68-72), Mick Cronin (Eels 90-93), Noel Kelly (Bears 73-76) are the only others I can think of who've missed out 4 years in a row.

DanOz

Juniors
Tommy never got the chance to miss the semis for four seasons in a row (we made the finals in 96).

I can't think of too many coaches apart from Junior and Sheens who have gone more than three years without a semi appearance. Bob Boland (Panthers 68-72), Mick Cronin (Eels 90-93), Noel Kelly (Bears 73-76) are the only others I can think of who've missed out 4 years in a row.

Can you think of anyone who was named Kangaroos coach and offered a contract extension after missing out 4 years in a row??? Unbelievable.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
To be fair he was named Australian coach before they'd missed the semis in 09.

Whilst the honour is there in being named ARL coach (and good on him) how many others declined or were not considered before he actually got the nod?

If I was Teflon I would not hold being the Roo's coach over WT heads for too long. I suspect it will not last that long.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Who was the last coach to go 5 seasons without making the semis, and not be sacked? Pearce or Raudonikas maybe? FMD no other club accepts mediocrity as much as us.
In Juniors defence, he took over a divided team falling apart because they were being coached by a gay, rugby union coaching, radio announcer.

His big name players were retiring and there wasn't anything to lure big name players there.

The fact he managed to get Balmain mid table was pretty good given the rabble he had.

Tigers have the upper hand in regards to the coaching saga.

Resign sheens at the same pay at best. If someone takes him, Folkes will take over.

Martinplace

Juniors
"If the injury gods and the video referee and the shape of the ball do the right thing, then we'll certainly have the right attitude.

I think he has covered all the bases of who he can blame, if the side dosen't make it again this year?:crazy:

Tim Sheens coaching with us:
First contract, he won a premiership and earned an extension-fair enough
Second contract, missed the finals every year, got an extension-dud call, but hey
Third contract, missed the finals first year, leading into the second year, looks like getting an extension-accepting mediocrity.

Latest posts