What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sheens playing footballers out of position

westie

Bench
Now I really don't want this to be much to do with the player, my point is with Sheens f**king blokes over. The kid has done alright, and will continue to improve if given a chance. Still not convinced he hasn't lost a few yards of pace though.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...e-gidley-out-of-no1-jersey-20100314-q68o.html

"I just want to play my position fullback while I can and what happens in the future happens," he said. "My game relies around speed and hanging tight around the forwards and providing speed around the back. I really like the club and I'm enjoying my football here. It's a great culture and such a tight group."

Here's a guy who was stuck on the wing, despite it being painfully obvious to everyone that he quite simply isn't one. Why is it that a few punters on here said years ago that Shannon plays quite effectively through the middle, stepping big boys and looking to get on the back of the work of others, yet the super coach thought he'd try and get him running over current day NRL wingers.

It's just as stupid as playing Farah or Benji on the wing. It was never his game, so why was he played there?

More importantly, why is it still happening? Josh Davis in the pack? Pritchard on the Wing? Lui at 7? Moltzen at 1? Can someone please explain to me how this man has a job?

Ninja

Juniors
It's been happening for years... That's just what Teflon does. Hate seeing guys like Moltzen with ridiculous amounts of talent playing out of position..... First downtown kick that Moltzen will get he'll stroll to the sideline and dump it to the winger to get smashed and they'll both look like muppets. But hey, we won the flag in '05 ... Yawn

Eddie.

Bench
Fair point Westie, Sheens often plays guys out of position, to the detriment of their development and the team. Im sure he will have his usual howlers in the selection room.

However Mcdonnell had his chances at fullback and he was a lightweight. He was shocking and looked a player with very little confidence. Sheens farting around no doubt had something to do with this. However you can't deny that he did have his opportunities in his favourite position, and he was ordinary.

Seriously dude though you do have some pet players. You will defend guys like Mcdonnell, Collis, Fitzhenry and co till the cows come home. And some guys like Heightington, that can't do a thing right.

Last edited:

Vic Mackey

Referee
the bloke played fullback and was in the nick bradley/laloa milford class

he cost us more games single handedly then any other player ive ever seen. playing him anywhere in first grade was playing him out of position

p.s i do however agree with your point. sheens regualry moves players around for no reason. the only successes i have ever seen have been tuiaki to the wing and danny galea to the second row

super_coach

First Grade
Its funny if Idris didnt kick the ball and ran over the top of junior burger all the headlines would be different. Really what he did was what you would expect every no1 to do, clean up a kick. I didnt see it as this amazing game winning play.

Spot

Juniors
Hindsight is a wonderful thing. Junior Burger needed a change in scenery to develop as a player. Simple as that

Bench
Sheens is probably a very good coach... He just shouldn't be in charge.
Sheens is a good coach,he just shouldn't be allowed to pick the team,someone like Folkes should do it for him,we would really excell then.

westie

Bench
the bloke played fullback and was in the nick bradley/laloa milford class

he cost us more games single handedly then any other player ive ever seen. playing him anywhere in first grade was playing him out of position

p.s i do however agree with your point. sheens regualry moves players around for no reason. the only successes i have ever seen have been tuiaki to the wing and danny galea to the second row

Im sorry, when did Tuiaki play anything other than wing? Sheens WANTED to move him to the pack, but even he couldn't be that stupid. Galea, a similar thing? Sure, he tried to play him at prop, but when that didn't work, he just had him playing his natural game?

Vicious

Bench
I do agree that Sheens does play many people out of position, BUT if you aren`t one of the games elite, you need to be versatile. Many a player has changed positions to play first grade as there was already somebody established in their best position. Lote Tuqiri was a fullback only all through the juniors, but had Darren Lockyer in front of him therefore had to make himself into a winger to become a first grader, It was the same with John Hopoate and most hookers these days were halves in their younger days. Plenty of big centres end up in the back row as back rowers are now like old style inside centres when attacking. Jonathon Thurston and Scott Prince were genuine 5/8`s when they started their first grade careers, but are now purely number 7`s. Darren Lockyer was a 5/8 all the way through his juniors, but moved to fullback as the Broncos has Kevin Walters established at 5/8 at the time. I could give a thousand more examples, but the bottom line is you have to be versatile to fit in your teams jigsaw puzzle if you want to make it !!!

Vic Mackey

Referee
Im sorry, when did Tuiaki play anything other than wing? Sheens WANTED to move him to the pack, but even he couldn't be that stupid. Galea, a similar thing? Sure, he tried to play him at prop, but when that didn't work, he just had him playing his natural game?

tuiaki had only played second row previously in lower grades etc, if im wrong about this happy to be corrected

galea came to us as a center, he was great in the backrow for us. then sheens pisses him off when he starts to reap the benefits of it.

Vicious

Bench
tuiaki had only played second row previously in lower grades etc, if im wrong about this happy to be corrected

galea came to us as a center, he was great in the backrow for us. then sheens pisses him off when he starts to reap the benefits of it.

Tuiaki played mostly second row for BRET.

I certainly don`t personally agree with all his position changes, I still to this day think Bronson Harrison would`ve been a much better footballer if he was never moved from the centres.

Sheens can't really be considered a good coach at this stage, he has a woeful win loss record and percentage of making the 8, although he is a genius when it comes to gameplanning and set plays etc. I didn't exactly mean he was a 'bad coach', I think he with another coach who selects the teams would work excellently. Or if we had a forwards coach and Sheens to coach the backs or something like that.

Bench
Tuiaki played mostly second row for BRET.

I certainly don`t personally agree with all his position changes, I still to this day think Bronson Harrison would`ve been a much better footballer if he was never moved from the centres.
If Sheens didn't cruel him and his game playing him at prop up the centre of the field,a dumb dumb selection,he repeated time and again,just like some others that didn't work and he kept at it.:x

neo007

Juniors
Hey Westie I wish you jump ship and go to suport another team, suporters like you are a disgrace. I supose you want to go back to the old times, you are a f**king loser, you are pretendind that you know more than Sheens. The best thing that Weststigers can do is sign him for life, please go away and stop been desrespectable to our team, we don`t need people like you.

westie

Bench
Hey Westie I wish you jump ship and go to suport another team, suporters like you are a disgrace. I supose you want to go back to the old times, you are a f**king loser, you are pretendind that you know more than Sheens. The best thing that Weststigers can do is sign him for life, please go away and stop been desrespectable to our team, we don`t need people like you.

I suppose you personally organised the supporters tea-party for all the years we've missed the 8 under Sheens. What is it now? 6? That's a lot of tea.

Tui was a runner before he got to us (union). Galea as a centre? Not recently surely? Wasn't signed as a centre anyway.

Tonight, we saw a 5/8th playing fullback drop at least two simple bombs. And a 5/8th playing halfback do absolutely nothing. Sheens is so incredibly lucky he inherited two of the classiest ball players I've ever seen.

cerberus

Coach
Sheens can't really be considered a good coach at this stage, he has a woeful win loss record and percentage of making the 8, although he is a genius when it comes to gameplanning and set plays etc. I didn't exactly mean he was a 'bad coach', I think he with another coach who selects the teams would work excellently. Or if we had a forwards coach and Sheens to coach the backs or something like that.

what with 4 premiership rings ! umm :lol: