What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Short sighted idiots

tresurehunt

Juniors
Maybe he needs some help ? That's nothing to be ashamed of .
But he is here for the next 2 years and I don't think that he should be terminated before hand .
I wasn't in favour of Anderson getting canned either .

thats not a bad idea ......

spiderdan

Bench
Difference is Smith coached us to 3rd place in his 1st year , the preliminary final in 1998 and the preliminary final in 1999 ...so while he did a lot of hard work re-structuring the club - he also managed to coach the 1st grade team into a title contender almost immediately .
I don't want Kearney sacked .....I'm sick of us wasting money and paying out coaches , but some questions have to be asked of the coach of a team that's won only 3 out of its last 19 matches .
Maybe he needs some help ? That's nothing to be ashamed of .
But he is here for the next 2 years and I don't think that he should be terminated before hand .
I wasn't in favour of Anderson getting canned either .
difference is brian (after losing 5 of our first 6 that year) did that with a team that had jason smith, dean pay, jim dymock, john simon, aaron raper, stuart kelly and jarrod mccracken (i didn't rate him but plenty of others did).

if kearney hasn't got decent results with the team he has more or less put together this year then ask questions. hell the roosters even lost four of their first five when they won the comp in 2002.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
difference is brian (after losing 5 of our first 6 that year) did that with a team that had jason smith, dean pay, jim dymock, john simon, aaron raper, stuart kelly and jarrod mccracken (i didn't rate him but plenty of others did).

if kearney hasn't got decent results with the team he has more or less put together this year then ask questions. hell the roosters even lost four of their first five when they won the comp in 2002.

I hear what you're saying. And I live in hope that we do come good. Part of me thinks we will come good this year. Another part of me thinks we won't. It also doesn't give me much confidence when I read that Bob Bentley wants to make Kearneys KPI's more achievable. It leads me to think he's lost confidence in our season already.

salvy71

Juniors

He did have those canterbury boys which is why I wouldn't expect SK to even get us anywhere near the top this year ........my point was that it is possible to restructure the club and have a successful or reasonably successful 1st grade team at the same time , maybe it is too early to hassle the guy but he just looks lost at the press conferences , hopefully he can turn it around but without Hayne in the team everybody looks lost as well .
The Roosters did lose 4 out of their first 5 games in 2002 ...they also had a massive injury toll at the beginning of the year which didn't help them , once the players filtered back they starting winning again .
Hopefully they come out this week and hammer Penrith , after all the bagging they've copped , there's a good chance that they will .

Last edited:

natheel

Coach
i don't want him sacked, i want him to serve his 3 years and see if there are vast improvements, in retention and also on field success. If so then he should be negotiating a new contract. Not now. yes he has put in place some good and with his retention of players that's also a good sign for the club.

keep his structure in defence (that works) only reason we leak points here and there is coz our attack is non exsistent. we drop the ball and are on the back foot defending, so by the 60th minute we are buggered.

if he can keep that structure and say to guys like Sandow Roberts and Hayne to do the flashy stuff and let forwards offload we will be a top 8 side not only on paper

hindy111

Post Whore
As soon as chelsea sacked AVB what happend? They started winning.Was AVB a bad coach or was he looking so far into the future he forgot about the present? Its good to build for the future but never forget about the present the moment may just slip you past.I still cant judge Kearney yet.I will wat till atleast rnd 12.Last year he had excuses with them team he had.This year ok right now some poeple are saying he doesnt have the team but lets face it he has a very good side now.Lets see what he does with it.I still think we will win our next 3

hindy111

Post Whore
I have hear some rumours that certain people are questioning is coaching style and ability.Lets just hope there not true

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We could also wait until the end of next year (or longer if the club extends his contract already) only to find out that the structures he's put in place haven't worked or was the incorrect approach and then we have to start from scratch all over again because of that. Then it would be wasting 3, 4, or 5 years as opposed to 2. Not saying that will happen, but there's arguments both ways.

It's not some f**ken dark art.

The people on the inside of the club would already be able to see if it's working - they can see the recruitment and junior development, and the succession plan for the squad.

That's what they mean when they talk about being set up for long-term success. It's not about tactics or making sure the team never has an off day - even the best teams fail to turn up and get belted every once in a while.

The best teams, believe it or not, have the best squads. They have quality throughout their top 17 and they have plenty of depth to cope with injuries.

We don't have that yet.

We have a top 17 that is good enough to beat anyone, but we lack depth in the outside backs and the back-row, and we have an irreplaceable player who is currently injured.

That's the price you pay for having a player that good in your team.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
He signed ad lib players

What makes them ad lib players? How do they differ from other kinds of players?

What is it that ad lib players can't do that other types of players can? Catching, passing, running? Something else?

If ad lib players should play ad lib footy, why can't other types of players also play ad lib footy?

Could you be talking about 'support players', who need a lot of ball movement to be effective in attack? Guys like Mortimer and Robson? Because those kinds of players have less talent than genuine creative halves, not more.

Are you saying our halves (and fullback) lack the creative ability (vision, passing, kicking) to be able to play in a more structured attack?

Are you saying our spine players are so shit they need to play in an ad lib attacking structure that doesn't rely on their own creative skills?

You really think that little of Hayne and Sandow?

tresurehunt

Juniors
What makes them ad lib players? How do they differ from other kinds of players?

What is it that ad lib players can't do that other types of players can? Catching, passing, running? Something else?

If ad lib players should play ad lib footy, why can't other types of players also play ad lib footy?

Could you be talking about 'support players', who need a lot of ball movement to be effective in attack? Guys like Mortimer and Robson? Because those kinds of players have less talent than genuine creative halves, not more.

Are you saying our halves (and fullback) lack the creative ability (vision, passing, kicking) to be able to play in a more structured attack?

Are you saying our spine players are so shit they need to play in an ad lib attacking structure that doesn't rely on their own creative skills?

You really think that little of Hayne and Sandow?

pou, maybe was talking about off the cuff players that play whats put in front of them ?

Ratchy

Juniors
Daniel Anderson eventually gave those 2009 players, who are spontaneous and instinctive, free rein and they soared.

Too many people keep brining up 2009, not to be mistaken i loved every minute of it as well. For most of the year the team was terrible and only snuck into the 8 the second last round on the back of Jarryd Hayne who single handedly dominated most games on his own.

In 2010 the ad lib footy never worked or they would've made the 8. Instead of pointing fingers at coaches and supposed structures maybe the players should be more accountable.

Ratchy

Juniors
I have hear some rumours that certain people are questioning is coaching style and ability.Lets just hope there not true

If it's any of the players they should be taking a good hard look at themselves in the mirror with the shit they dished up saturday night instead of looking at other people.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Too many people keep brining up 2009, not to be mistaken i loved every minute of it as well. For most of the year the team was terrible and only snuck into the 8 the second last round on the back of Jarryd Hayne who single handedly dominated most games on his own.

In 2010 the ad lib footy never worked or they would've made the 8. Instead of pointing fingers at coaches and supposed structures maybe the players should be more accountable.

It was a FULL ON team effort and not just J Hayne that got us the 2009 GF.

"single handedly" is a fantasy mate.

There appeared to be many destabilising agendas going on which caused season 2010 to become an unpleasant work environment for DA and some of the players. There is no doubt he tried to implement structures in 2009 and in season 2010. They both failed and he moved away from them before seasons end. 2009 season benefited from the change but not season 2010. Many of us look forward to hear DA's version of events. My punt is on 3P destabilising the club leading to the deterioration of the 2010 season and yes opposition defences improved to counter the Eels add lib game. Some of our key players were targeted/isolated and this slowed down the scoreboard. Our defence wasn't as good as the defence we witnessed during the 2009 run home to the GF. Some of our players were found out. DA tried hard to get a better 7, etc..

Springs

First Grade
Jarryd Hayne was Parramatta's dominant player for all of 2009. Once he moved to fullback he was in great form all year. Remember he dominated the Origin series that year too.

It took the team and the coach to realise what worked and the team slowly improved through all of 2009. The team effort got us through to the finals.

The funniest thing is when people say 2009 was all Hayne, but the reason for failure in the next two years was everyone else, Mortimer and Burt especially.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
pou, maybe was talking about off the cuff players that play whats put in front of them ?

I'm sure he was, I just don't think he understands the difference between system and player.

Structured systems require off the cuff (creative) players because those players are where the attacking opportunities come from.

Teams without such creative players need to generate their linebreaks some other way, and they do that through offloads (ad lib play). That's what we did in 2009 and it's what the Warriors did last year.

Because they had one half with very little creative ability (Maloney) and a rookie (Johnson), they had to play a high risk style with plenty of offloads in order to take the pressure off their halves.

Now, Shaun Johnson turned out to be a superstar of the future (he's almost one now, though he's been pretty quiet since the Manly game) but last year he was very inexperienced, and the ad lib footy helped him settle into first grade - he only had to support the offloaders rather than create linebreaks for others, and it wasn't really until the finals that he stepped up his own creative game.

Maloney's still just Daniel Mortimer on steroids. One can only assume Brian Smith intends to use a lot of offloads next year. Maybe he's getting a new edge forward that is awesome at it? :shock:

As for us, we need creative/off the cuff/play what's in front of them type players because of our tight structure.

That's why Kearney bought Sandow and Roberts. That's why Hayne turned into such an awesome playmaker last year. Even this year he is averaging one linebreak assist per game, though in truth it's one every fifteen minutes.

Latest posts