What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Short v Long Dropkick restarts?

ALSGI

Bench
No brainer when in desperate need of getting the ball back, right?

I actually like the enterprise of doing it at other times too. As others have pointed out the ball (tackle) can end up in the same spot regardless of how far it’s kicked anyway so why not give our selves a chance of catching it?

So far hasn’t worked out for us but I still like it.

Thoughts?

TruSaint

Referee
No brainer when in desperate need of getting the ball back, right?

I actually like the enterprise of doing it at other times too. As others have pointed out the ball (tackle) can end up in the same spot regardless of how far it’s kicked anyway so why not give our selves a chance of catching it?

So far hasn’t worked out for us but I still like it.

Thoughts?

Like it, though it would depend on the game.

A sweetly hit drop out of a 50-50 call.

Should be used more often.

Dragsters

First Grade
I'm all for mixing it up but the timing of last weeks 2 late short ones were ludicrous it has to be said.

I reckon they were all Norman aswell.

The entire coaching box were shaking their heads at the first one, then all just dumb-founded after the second one.

Who knows, perhaps Norman took the green light for taking short ones from the coach as a directive?

Not when your defending a gettable lead.

Situational awareness would take precedence surely???

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
If you can nail it then it's a great weapon to try on from time to time. But replicating a set play to match conditions doesn't always work, as we've seen.

Trying to catch out the opposition is most of the battle.

There's a reason why teams dont use it that often, the object being to get out of your danger zone and back your chase and defence to gain possession. It doesn't need to be more complicated than that.

FlameThrower

Bench
Only time I’d agree on short kickoff is if we are behind and need ball back with only minutes left on the clock. If you are leading why would you risk that, plus now the likelihood of repeat sets with the stupid 6 again rule..

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
I dont mind them if the situation calls for one...unlike last week when Normy had a brain explosion not once but twice.....and you know what hes blaise (was going to say stupid) enough to keep trying it again untill he gets it right

I think it is important to consider fatigue factor of running up the back and forth for 10 metres Over the set off the drop out. If you can back yourself to defend your line you don't have to lose all that petrol with the chance of having to do it it over again. The risk is try and catch the short kick, if not defend more tackles on you line. Its an interesting one that I am sure will evolve.

I think it is important to consider the fatigue factor of running up the back and forth for 10 metres each tackle over the set off the long drop out. If you can back yourself to defend your line you don't have to lose all that petrol with the chance of having to do it it over again. The risk is try and catch the short kick, if not defend more tackles on you line. Its an interesting one that I am sure will evolve.