What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shorten Government to sort it all out

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Well, I don't think PNG should have an NRL team but it is nice to see our game supported publically like this instead of it being bagged or worse, seeing politicians fap over AFL

Perth Red

Post Whore
" committed the party to investigating"

lol straight out of the Greenberg expansion press response handbook!

The Great Dane

First Grade
Thanks, but no thanks.

There's no way that a PNG club is sustainable, and it'd only be a matter of time before this issue would become a political football or simply that there'd be a change in government or something and funding would be cut, then the NRL would be left with a money pit of a club on their hands and looking like the bad guys if they didn't foot the bill...

jim_57

Staff member
Strange, I won't pretend to know how they plan on working this but they can't exactly tell NRL what teams they have to have.

How about one or more of the below?
  • Increased funding for Hunters
  • Funding for a 2nd QLD Cup side
  • Funding for Hunters to field a junior side/s
  • Funding for PMXIII program to be increased, possibly including Fiji and maybe Tonga or Samoa
  • "Pathways" and links developed like bringing PNG students over on a sport and education basis to some top Rugby League schools.

applesauce

Bench
Thanks, but no thanks.

There's no way that a PNG club is sustainable, and it'd only be a matter of time before this issue would become a political football or simply that there'd be a change in government or something and funding would be cut, then the NRL would be left with a money pit of a club on their hands and looking like the bad guys if they didn't foot the bill...

If set up correctly it could be aid/charity/grant that is tax deductible for the NRL if your scenario were to eventuate.

The Great Dane

First Grade
If set up correctly it could be aid/charity/grant that is tax deductible for the NRL if your scenario were to eventuate.

It’d still become a political football with the parties arguing over wether those expenses should be tax deductible or not.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
It’d still become a political football with the parties arguing over wether those expenses should be tax deductible or not.

And then the AFL will get their snout in the trough and demand a PNG team too - and will get it even though it is completely unwarranted. I'm surpised this wasn't the plan on the table to begin with.

taipan

Referee
And then the AFL will get their snout in the trough and demand a PNG team too - and will get it even though it is completely unwarranted. I'm surpised this wasn't the plan on the table to begin with.

With all the AFL snouts in the money trough ,it's a wonder none of them have suffocated.

China/South Africa have all received Govt largesse for AFL.
Rest assured should RL receive some financial backing, the heavies from AFL house will lean on politicians to ensure they don't miss out.
One thing AFL does better than any other code in this country, is squeeze out every last money drop they can, from lobbying Govts.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
The ALP National Conference just passed a resolution committing a Labor Government to supporting a PNG team in the NRL

https://www.9news.com.au/2018/12/18/16/12/labor-will-back-png-team-in-nrl

Given the high probability of a Labor win at the next election we may as well stop discussion

This is great? I dont want a PNG team in the NRL now, but this opens 2 possibilities to the game:

- The NRLs brand has cleaned up enough that pollies actively want to associate with us
- The government views RL in PNG as a means social progress. Even outside of an NRL teams, this has a million possibilities; funding for school RL programs to keep kids in school, assistance with funding for more reserve grade teams, help with their nation team to make tours happen.

I think this announcement is a hollow pitch, but it indicates a deeper potential for the game.

Angry_eel

First Grade
This is great? I dont want a PNG team in the NRL now, but this opens 2 possibilities to the game:

- The NRLs brand has cleaned up enough that pollies actively want to associate with us
- The government views RL in PNG as a means social progress. Even outside of an NRL teams, this has a million possibilities; funding for school RL programs to keep kids in school, assistance with funding for more reserve grade teams, help with their nation team to make tours happen.

I think this announcement is a hollow pitch, but it indicates a deeper potential for the game.

When I first heard it on Chasin Kangaroos podcast, I thought of it as the Australian Govt might simply switch over the dev fund for PNG to PNG RL as a social progress charity.

The Great Dane

First Grade

That might be a good compromise, or other stuff like funding Kangaroo tours of PNG and investing in facilities for RL in PNG, but I doubt the government would go for it.

Doing that stuff would mean that they'd have to regularly approve things and they'd have to over see where the money is actually going, where as with an NRL team they sign off on it once that money goes direct to the group running the club then they can effectively wash their hands of it. Also none of that is a big ribbon cutter like an NRL team would be, which is what this would actually be about for the pollies anyway.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Only way this would work is if the incumbent Govt put enough up front to financially support. A png for ten years regardless of Govt change. Pipe dream.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Strange, I won't pretend to know how they plan on working this but they can't exactly tell NRL what teams they have to have.

How about one or more of the below?
  • Increased funding for Hunters
  • Funding for a 2nd QLD Cup side
  • Funding for Hunters to field a junior side/s
  • Funding for PMXIII program to be increased, possibly including Fiji and maybe Tonga or Samoa
  • "Pathways" and links developed like bringing PNG students over on a sport and education basis to some top Rugby League schools.

I agree with this - funding the PNG national team (so that they can tour places like England and France), funding the Hunters so that they can set up reserves, U20's and U18's in the QLD Cup system and funding the setup of full development pathways from Digicel Cup right through the Hunters System and to the pros.

If money is to be spent on PNGRL, this would have the biggest impact.

Latest posts