What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should Bellamy Be Sacked for the Origin Series?

Parra Steve

Juniors
Schubert received a tip off on the whole thing - im certain there is more to come in the story. (Sounds like a disgruntled ex-employee or something, from what I have heard)

said in the telegraph today that a former employee who is now with AFL tipped the NRL off.

Gronk

Staff member
Yep, whistle-blower.

whistleblower.jpg

bartman

Immortal
Good on the whistle-blower.

I just hope to god our administration (old or new) doesn't have any skeletons to hide in our player signings.

No way a coach doesn't say how munch he thinks players in his squad should be worth when contract renewals or recruitment is taking place... and no way the coach wouldn't be informed of how they are travelling under the cap.

If Bellemy was straight out lied to by corrupt elements within his club, than he can claim innocence... He should make that claim urgently and clearly (in public, stat dec/legal document). One single email discussing any players' unofficial salary figure with him is evidence enough for me that he had "the knowledge".

Anything less than a total no idea of what was going on and Bellamy should be taken the f**k away from our origin team, and never have a job in rugby league again.

spiderdan

Bench
i think other than saying who he wanted to keep as priorities bellamy probably had nothing to do with it. i don't know of any coaches that would actually get caught up in financial negotiations. however, if it is proven that he was involved then yeah, punt him.

on a side origin note, it'll be interesting to see how this affects the qld origin side. there's slater, inglis, smith and cronk if thurston is still injured, plus scott prince's situation still being looked at. maybe this was a part of a three year plan by craig bellamy to dismantle the qld side (kidding).

tresurehunt

Juniors
i bet there will be massive cover ups to save some big names,ie.
Craig Bellamy
Cameron smith
Greg Inglis
billy Slater
they will be all innocent .

bartman

Immortal
Hopefully some spotlight will be shone on the role that player-managers have in securing dodgy deals for their client players.

About time the NRL had some evidence to come down on this filthy breed of gutter-dwellers!

Eels Dude

Coach
said in the telegraph today that a former employee who is now with AFL tipped the NRL off.

I heard it was their former financial controller. Once he found out what was going on he had a massive fall out with Brian Waldron and quit the club last year because he wanted nothing to do with it.

Suitman

Post Whore

Yep, whistle-blower.

whistleblower.jpg

Good on the whistle-blower.

I just hope to god our administration (old or new) doesn't have any skeletons to hide in our player signings.

No way a coach doesn't say how munch he thinks players in his squad should be worth when contract renewals or recruitment is taking place... and no way the coach wouldn't be informed of how they are travelling under the cap.

If Bellemy was straight out lied to by corrupt elements within his club, than he can claim innocence... He should make that claim urgently and clearly (in public, stat dec/legal document). One single email discussing any players' unofficial salary figure with him is evidence enough for me that he had "the knowledge".

Anything less than a total no idea of what was going on and Bellamy should be taken the f**k away from our origin team, and never have a job in rugby league again.

I heard it was their former financial controller. Once he found out what was going on he had a massive fall out with Brian Waldron and quit the club last year because he wanted nothing to do with it.

His name is Cameron Vale - the former Finacial Controller of the club. He is now employed by North Melbourne AFL Club.
If the NRL found evidence going back 5 years, I wonder why he has come out now, or over the past few months.

Would it possibly be because he saw a chance to sink Rugby League in the Victorian capital? An AFL vandetta perhaps?
Any which way, I in no way condone anything Melbourne have done. I'm glad they have been caught, and fully support their punishment.
Victorians have such large chips on their shoulders, that I wouldn't trust any of them.......even this Vale bloke who blew the whistle.

Suity

Eels Dude

Coach
Yeah I can't see that being the case. Anyone who had an active part in this cover up will face serious legal ramifications. Civil, as well as criminal more than likely. That's not worth leaking info just to give a leg up to the AFL. No one is that stupid.

Suitman

Post Whore
Yeah I can't see that being the case. Anyone who had an active part in this cover up will face serious legal ramifications. Civil, as well as criminal more than likely. That's not worth leaking info just to give a leg up to the AFL. No one is that stupid.

Maybe he wasn't involved. ;-)

Suity

Eels Dude

Coach
Maybe he wasn't involved. ;-)

Suity

Exactly my point. But he sounds like an ethical person for not getting involved and resigning in protest. And an ethical person in most cases is not going to rat out to spite the NRL for no gain whatsoever. That's why I don't believe these conspiracy theories people are suggesting. They don't make sense.

ianlovesparra

Juniors
On Craig Bellamy, he should be sacked as NSW Coach and not if he knew what was going on, simply because he hasn't won a series and the idiot keeps telling selectors to pick gidley.

Whether he knew about what was going on at Melbourne is yet to be proven, but i'd be surprised if he didn't know. He tells the board who he wants on his team and how much each player is worth.

As for player mangers, i don't see how blame can be put on them. They look after their player, they don't care about the rest of the team, if melbourne say to slater's manager here is 600k a year for him, his manager doesn't say, hang on a second i want to see if this deal is going to put you over the salary cap. They get the best deal possible for their players and move on. Melbourne may have been giving players under the table payments without managers knowing anyway.

tresurehunt

Juniors
On Craig Bellamy, he should be sacked as NSW Coach and not if he knew what was going on, simply because he hasn't won a series and the idiot keeps telling selectors to pick gidley.

Whether he knew about what was going on at Melbourne is yet to be proven, but i'd be surprised if he didn't know. He tells the board who he wants on his team and how much each player is worth.

As for player mangers, i don't see how blame can be put on them. They look after their player, they don't care about the rest of the team, if melbourne say to slater's manager here is 600k a year for him, his manager doesn't say, hang on a second i want to see if this deal is going to put you over the salary cap. They get the best deal possible for their players and move on. Melbourne may have been giving players under the table payments without managers knowing anyway.

i agree on the last paragraph Ian,and if Bellamy is stood down from Melbourne i can only assume he would be exempt from the nsw coaching job as well.get ready for a massive cover up ! :cool:

strider

Post Whore
dunno about that - he could tell the admin the player is worth $X and they then decide to pay $X+500 marquees for him ... I'm not saying i think he's innocent or not, but I could imagine a situation where he wouldn't know

actually I reckon a player manager would be most likely to know something fishy is going on - surely they would have some idea there is more than 1 source of payments .... sure that itself is no certainty that there is dodginess going on, but you'd have to be a bit sus ..... i'm pretty surprised player managers have avoided media speculation over all this

bartman

Immortal
Presumably any contract signed by a player has an amount on it, and a copy is forwarded to NRL for registering.

Any player receiving more money than the amount on that contract forwarded by the NRL has been a beneficiary of the rort. Perhaps not knowingly, as the club and player-manager may have just told them any extras over that amount they receive (through other sources/deposits) was a legit third party deal.

Maybe the club led the coach astray, and only showed him the official contract amounts and he had no knowledge? Maybe the club led all the player-managers astray too, although given the nature of negitiating for extras, I find it very unlikely that it was just one side of the equation being "generous" or "accommodating"? If player managers escape without increased regulation they are very lucky, as it seems a grubby industry and they all deserve more scrutiny imo.

Players and coaches (including Bellamy) should also demand more scrutiny of these affairs (by the NRL) in the future, so that they won't be affected again by dodgy club officials or player managers. Players should be happy to disclose deposit records for their bank accounts in order to be able to say proudly "I'm clean".

Parra Steve

Juniors
The other alternative is that the club showed the players the contracts with the higher amounts on then registered the contracts with the NRL that were doctored with the fake amounts on.

JessEel

Accredited Media Releases
The other alternative is that the club showed the players the contracts with the higher amounts on then registered the contracts with the NRL that were doctored with the fake amounts on.
ughhhh .... so much is possible!!

Latest posts