What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should Brett Stewart be stood down ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

gong_eagle

First Grade

whether he is innocent or guilty, should Manly stand him down until this is all sorted

Pantherjim.

Referee
I don't think that you can really stand a player down until guilt is proved and accusations are substantiated.

I would want a thorough investigation instigated that is completely and utterly impartial to both parties.

Brett Stewart hardly seems to be the type of guy that would do this, but then again, stranger things have happened I guess, and alcohol turns perfect gentlemen into idiots.

In any case I know what Manly fans are going through right now, I felt the same when Craig Gower was accused of doing something very similar

bartman

Immortal
This should be sorted out early this week, in terms of whether he is going to face charges or not. The earlier police can get through their enquiries the better - if Stewart not talking so far has delayed that, then he is to blame if it spills over to round 1.

Whether he should be stood down or not comes down to his club - is Stewart being honest with them. Is he informing them of his story/alibi/reason for denying the allegation? Greg Bird lied to his club, and then went silent on them - so his club stood him down.He wasn't stood down about the charges, he was stood down for being a twat to his bosses, but they kept him on full pay until they eventually sacked the grub.

Manly's statement indicated Stewart had spoken to them, in that they said he was denying the allegations. So that's one less reason to stand him down. But if Stewart is charged with something major this week, then that would be sufficient grounds for him to be stood down until the court case takes place, just like Bird. (Except I don't expect Stewart will go around saying how unfair that decision was, and how badly he was treated while keeping his club in the dark the whole time...)

matt

Juniors
so a week before a grand final you pay some Bait to cry wolf and in effect you have taken out an opposing trump card.

Innocent till proven guilty...and two side's to every story,although when News LTD is involved it can be anything up to 6 sides depending on which will sell the most papers.

ByRd

First Grade
No, by standing him down they are admitting some guilt. He is innocent until proven guilty so he should be able to play.

Chook Norris

First Grade
so a week before a grand final you pay some Bait to cry wolf and in effect you have taken out an opposing trump card.

Innocent till proven guilty...and two side's to every story,although when News LTD is involved it can be anything up to 6 sides depending on which will sell the most papers.

exactly, look at watmough's 'assault allegations'.. turns out everything was blown otu of proportion

i know they're different.. but innocent until proven guilty

_Johnsy

Referee
then why would the NRL pull the ad ?

I'd say if the club find out there is some basis to the allegations, and it does not look good for stewart, they'll suspend him.

gong_eagle

First Grade

the 3 broncos were not stood down last season before the semi game

Dutchy

Immortal
If he refuses to tell the club what happened ala Bird - Yes.

If he talks, does what the club asks him to do. Then he should be able to play unless found to be guilty.

Syko

Juniors
only if he is guilty, you can't stand down a player because of an accusation, thats not what this country is about.

BWNB

First Grade
If he refuses to tell the club what happened ala Bird - Yes.

If he talks, does what the club asks him to do. Then he should be able to play unless found to be guilty.

But if he is charged he should be stood down.

Latest posts