What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should & Could NRL Clubs go back to cotton jerseys?

KalgoorlieRed

Juniors
I know St George were the last to sell cotton jerseys and a few others like the Roosters and Penrith and got heritage jerseys, but what about on the whole that all clubs went back to purely cotton jumpers with embroidered badges and plastics logos and numbers on like in the old days?

The polyester ones maybe good in some respects but they are not comfortable and are sweaty.

Is it possible not ISC have gone that Classic, Kooga and Puma could be lobbied to bring them back?

playdaball

Bench
Whist there bring back unlimited play the balls, the old brown leather balls, 3 point tries & take away the video refs. LOL

playdaball

Bench
Bring back Big Darrell Eastlake for SOO commentaries and Rex Messup for club games!!

Whilst we're on a roll ... bring back the biff!

Noa

First Grade
Yeah. Cotton breathes, you see, it's much softer. Imagine playing games and your team is five degrees cooler than the other team. Don't you think that would be an advantage? They're cooler, they're more comfortable...they're happier - they're gonna play better.

Noa

First Grade
Just watch out they dont shrink or they'll be running like penguins

adamkungl

Immortal
Yeah. Cotton breathes, you see, it's much softer. Imagine playing games and your team is five degrees cooler than the other team. Don't you think that would be an advantage? They're cooler, they're more comfortable...they're happier - they're gonna play better.

thanks costanza

Perth Red

Post Whore
Def prefer cotton for the fans jerseys. The players are a different material to the cheap poly nylon cr4p we get. They have breathable microfibre materials.

Would be nicer for fans as well as, less stinky sweaty people in the next seat!

joshreading

Staff member
never, I find the newer jerseys far lighter and easier to wear. The slightest amount of sweat or rain and he old school jerseys become bags around your shoulders

Monk

Referee
Def prefer cotton for the fans jerseys. The players are a different material to the cheap poly nylon cr4p we get. They have breathable microfibre materials.

Would be nicer for fans as well as, less stinky sweaty people in the next seat!

yeh, sorry bout that.. :eek:

As a fan I loved it when you could get heavy cotton, long-sleeved v-neck collared jerseys. Today, you can only get short-sleeved synthetic t-shirt style jerseys and it sh*ts me. Winter gets cold and wearing your team's jersey requires purchasing one 2-3 times as large as you would normally wear so you can put multiple layers on to show club pride. I'd love the old style supporters jerseys to come back. If not, bring in long sleeve supporters jerseys!

Whilst we are bringing stuff back bring back the Midweek Cup and Pre Season Cup.

Well at the very least the pre season cup.

As for the cotton jerseys I prefer the current ones I find the cotton ones (Still have one from 1997) a bit heavy.

Sweaty people in one response then too cold in the middle of winter in the next.

You could always buy and wear a tracktop or jacket in club colours. Doesn't have to be a jersey.

Cloud9

Bring back bell bottom jeans and the Holden Torana.
I miss the Goodies which used to be on ABC.

jono

Juniors
Anyone who ever played in one of the old Classic cotton jumpers in the '70s & '80s will remember how heavy they became when it rained , and how the old leather ball became like a brick. AHHH those were the days!

Lambretta

First Grade
The Roosters sell a traditional "hooped" jersey in cotton and a 1940's light blue V design in cotton also.

If I were buying a jersey, these would be the only two I would consider. The new material is clingy, sweat inducing and has a tendency to cause a build up of static so you explode when you touch anything metal.

In my opinion clubs should offer alternatives. A "traditional" style jersey in cotton and a "replica" of this seasons playing kit.

I think most clubs cover this quite well.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Producing two product lines of the same jersey would be a logistical and marketing nightmare, particularly with the online store age we're in at the moment. Confusion would reign as to which jersey you're actually getting and such for a start.

And we're all well aware of those Roosters jersey - they're the Heritage jersey and the ANZAC Day match jersey ;-)

Lambretta

First Grade
Producing two product lines of the same jersey would be a logistical and marketing nightmare, particularly with the online store age we're in at the moment. Confusion would reign as to which jersey you're actually getting and such for a start.

And we're all well aware of those Roosters jersey - they're the Heritage jersey and the ANZAC Day match jersey ;-)

I didn't say they had to be exactly the same - rather there should be one made in each style of material to please everyone as far as you can.

The Bulldogs do a "hooped" heritage jersey as well and as you'll be aware, when they released it - it outsold the current jersey by a country mile.

It's not just our two clubs that do them either. Balmain do a black v on gold one - etc.

It makes sense to have a range of clothing wear for people to buy so they can support their clubs. Different things appeal to different people - so giving a range of options means you reach different markets. As someone said before - you dont have to stick with jerseys if you dont want to. You can buy a hoodie or a t-shirt. Sound advice. So sound, I bought 5 different t-shirts, a long sleeved top and a hoodie :p

Latest posts