What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should Darren Lockyer be picked for the ANZAC test?

Should Darren Lockyer be picked for the ANZAC test?

• Yes

Votes: 32 26.9%
  • No

Votes: 87 73.1%

• Total voters

Kiwi

First Grade
perverse said:
i'm embarressed for my state that you mentioned finch and monaghan.. even sherwin.. and kimmorley was the one that got dropped (ie they didnt want him).
gower and orford are the only 2 that had a legitimate claim.. and their teams werent exactly setting the world on fire.

So how was Newcastle going at the time? A hell of alot worse than the Storm and Panthers me thinks.

People can try and sugar coat it all they want, they simply want it both ways, as long as player they like gets selected they don't really care about form, when it comes to a player they don't want there, suddenly form is an issue.

perverse

Referee
Kiwi said:
So how was Newcastle going at the time? A hell of alot worse than the Storm and Panthers me thinks.

People can try and sugar coat it all they want, they simply want it both ways, as long as player they like gets selected they don't really care about form, when it comes to a player they don't want there, suddenly form is an issue.
i'm just telling you how it is dude.. he's andrew johns.. can you imagine if they really did bring up a finch or a monaghan? your whinging is ridiculous.. it's about picking the team that will perform the best.
forget picking the team on form, forget picking it on loyalty.. pick it on the basis of putting the 17 players that will do the best job onto the field.

Kiwi

First Grade
perverse said:
i'm just telling you how it is dude.. he's andrew johns.. can you imagine if they really did bring up a finch or a monaghan? your whinging is ridiculous.. it's about picking the team that will perform the best.
forget picking the team on form, forget picking it on loyalty.. pick it on the basis of putting the 17 players that will do the best job onto the field.

Then Lockyer HAS to play.

perverse

Referee
Kiwi said:
Then Lockyer HAS to play.
i agree.. i'd happily see him back in his native fullback position and see mini out the team entirely, and he can take his golden boot with him.

thurstons form and ability demand selection.

-edit- for any of the smartarses who go and check what people voted for, yes i voted that lockyer should not get picked in the poll.. kiwi's arguement has compelled me to change my opinion.. there are plenty of better people to kick out of the team than lockyer -/edit-

Kiwi

First Grade
perverse said:
i agree.. i'd happily see him back in his native fullback position and see mini out the team entirely, and he can take his golden boot with him.

thurstons form and ability demand selection.

Thats what the bench is for.

Lockyer is a superstar of the game, a match winner, the captain and has carried Australia on more than one occasion.

Lockyer will be selected at 6 and as captain.

perverse

Referee
Kiwi said:
Thats what the bench is for.

Lockyer is a superstar of the game, a match winner, the captain and has carried Australia on more than one occasion.

Lockyer will be selected at 6 and as captain.
you're preaching to the converted.. again.. yes he is a superstar.. yes he is a match winner.. and yes he has carried australia on multiple occasions..

i've never been a fan of backs on the bench.. and if you do need one, they need to be able to fill as many positions as possible.. thurston is a half, plain and simple. thurston to 6, lockyer to 1 would be my tri series wet dream.

why are you against this move?

Kiwi

First Grade
perverse said:
you're preaching to the converted.. again.. yes he is a superstar.. yes he is a match winner.. and yes he has carried australia on multiple occasions..

i've never been a fan of backs on the bench.. and if you do need one, they need to be able to fill as many positions as possible.. thurston is a half, plain and simple. thurston to 6, lockyer to 1 would be my tri series wet dream.

why are you against this move?

Because it would cost Lockyer his position in the team. You want to throw a guy into a position he hasn't played for how many years and then expect him to perform at rep level?

perverse

Referee
Kiwi said:
Because it would cost Lockyer his position in the team. You want to throw a guy into a position he hasn't played for how many years and then expect him to perform at rep level?
why not.. they did it to johns in origin for years..

jamesgould

Juniors
Kiwi said:
So who was injured out of the following?

Gower, Orford, Kimmorley, Finch, Monaghan and Sherwin

Given a player pulling out during the week, you would honestly pick Monaghan to play the second origin?! I have gone to some extremes to win arguments but that takes the cake.

It is a totally different situation picking the team at the start of the week, and getting a player who can walk in and replace an injury to a key position midway through preparation, why even try and compare them!?

Dragooner

Bench
It's simple to pick the squad,

1.D Lockyer
2.A Minichello
3.M Gasnier
4.Matt Cooper
5.M Sing
6.J Thurston
7.A Johns (c)
8.Luke Bailey
9.D Buderus
10.S Price
11.N Hindmarsh
12.L O'Donnell
13.B Kennedy

PARANoIR

Bench
On form. No.

But we all know the side is not picked on form, but reputation. He'll be there.

Personally, if he does, I think Jonathon Thurston will then be up there with Phil Jacques as one of the unluckiest blokes in the world.

gecko7

Juniors
Lockyer to fullback and Thurston to 6 with Minichello on the wing. Lockyer has saved Australia too many time to not be selected and he was a better fullback. I see no reason why the best fullback ive seen cant return to the position and excel after a couple of years away.

Stuzmeister

Juniors
On club form I'd say no but as people have already said, champions lift for big games and i'd love to see Joey play with Locky one more time. I would like to see Thurston in the 17 somewhere but I can't see him being there if not at 5/8.

Having said that it would also be a spectacle seeing what Joey and Thurston can do together in the halves.