What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should Mary's Contract Be Extended For another 3 Year Term?

Sould Mary's Contract Be Extended?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

possm

Coach
SGI's decisions should always be accountable and never just in line with old boys deals and agreements. This poll is a small sample of forum members and an indication of the thoughts of the broader fan base and Dragons supporters.

SGI management will extend Mary at it's peril as I feel sure the backlash will bring about an up-rising if performance of the team tracks as it has over the past 6 years.

I'd say the Dragons have a short window to grab a premiership and if Mary can't deliver in that window, all hell will brake loose.

getsmarty

Immortal
I'm not in anyway whatsoever disputing what Bennett achieved, he was and is a far superior coach to McGregor. I would have him back in a heart beat in favour of McGregor. My point was Bennett, who I think the best coach the club has had since Harry Bath, that in the 3rd and final year of his contract when he announced he was leaving the team's formed slumped. If Doust would of signed Bennett to a 5 year contract I'm sure we would of gone back to back premiers. My simple question however delusional to some who is available we can sign that can deliver a better outcome than McGregor? I hate missing out on the semis and if we bring in a mediocre or rookie coach we may return to the Price era. If there is a better option than McGregor believe me I'm all for it. I'm in no way disrespecting what Bennett did for the mighty Red V and I believe if he never left we would have won several more premierships.

McGregor has been here since 2014. Surely that's long enough. In that time he has won 1 Finals game...that's it...and the club is about to extend him..so he could well be in the role for 7 1/2 years....

How much time do you give him....cannot agree with you in regards to this...much better options available.

blacksafake

First Grade
I'm speechless.
How he could be given an extension with his record is mind boggling.Do they not take into account the record losses under his leadership not to mention his pathetic use of the bench, end of season fade-outs as well as blooding juniors.There is obvious more at play here than just coaching.Do they not acknowledge the supporters of which the majority have shown their disapproval against his appointment?
It's plainly obvious that in this case it's who you know, not what you know.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
By our roster, we should realistically be a 3rd to 5th placed team, but we are playing more like a 7th - 12th placed team.
One cannot point the finger at players, after all they do what they practice, they play in the positions they are told to, and when they have a bad game they are just told do better next week.
From all of this there is one common denominator, and that is the coach.
If they practice the same thing over and over but still get it wrong surely there must be someone on our coaching staff that can see that that plan isn't working an amended or adjusted to do so. At the moment that doesn't seem to be the case point in question is our inability to score with fluency when we're in opposition 20 Zone.
As far as team selection we often play players out of position just to fit them in with that little consideration for their ability to play in that position. Point in question is the possibility of playing Lomax on the wing. Which he is not had much if any experience in.
Play is do have bad games yes and that can be overlooked to some extent but when they continuously have bad games and still be selected Beggars belief. Point in question here is there are many examples of this including Aitken, Lafai or even going back to McCrone etc.
May I also add here the continuous selection of injured players just because there are asked are you okay.
Again the common denominator is the coach and the coaching staff, therefore any talk of an extension at this present time especially when we at 1 from 3 it's premature to say the least. Unless we finish the season in no less than 3rd on rhe ladder, would I expect any taljs of extending McGregor, anything short of that would be deemed another failure and as I said given the roster we have this should be the target not the mediocre approach of scraping into the 8th and calling that success.

denis preston

First Grade
By our roster, we should realistically be a 3rd to 5th placed team, but we are playing more like a 7th - 12th placed team.
One cannot point the finger at players, after all they do what they practice, they play in the positions they are told to, and when they have a bad game they are just told do better next week.
From all of this there is one common denominator, and that is the coach.
If they practice the same thing over and over but still get it wrong surely there must be someone on our coaching staff that can see that that plan isn't working an amended or adjusted to do so. At the moment that doesn't seem to be the case point in question is our inability to score with fluency when we're in opposition 20 Zone.
As far as team selection we often play players out of position just to fit them in with that little consideration for their ability to play in that position. Point in question is the possibility of playing Lomax on the wing. Which he is not had much if any experience in.
Play is do have bad games yes and that can be overlooked to some extent but when they continuously have bad games and still be selected Beggars belief. Point in question here is there are many examples of this including Aitken, Lafai or even going back to McCrone etc.
May I also add here the continuous selection of injured players just because there are asked are you okay.
Again the common denominator is the coach and the coaching staff, therefore any talk of an extension at this present time especially when we at 1 from 3 it's premature to say the least. Unless we finish the season in no less than 3rd on rhe ladder, would I expect any taljs of extending McGregor, anything short of that would be deemed another failure and as I said given the roster we have this should be the target not the mediocre approach of scraping into the 8th and calling that success.

DS I suspect the decision has already been made and they are waiting for us to win a couple in a row to announce it. Just look at Melbourne , who i consider the best coached side over the past 5 years, they rope learn their moves . I do live in hope though and perhaps his chances may have been written off by some in power within the club as i see his failures in end of season performance , team selections & interchange rotation surely has some heads scratching.New CEO & owners also give me some hope.

getsmarty

Immortal
DS I suspect the decision has already been made and they are waiting for us to win a couple in a row to announce it. Just look at Melbourne , who i consider the best coached side over the past 5 years, they rope learn their moves . I do live in hope though and perhaps his chances may have been written off by some in power within the club as i see his failures in end of season performance , team selections & interchange rotation surely has some heads scratching.New CEO & owners also give me some hope.

New ceo is same as old boys...they had the chance to sign the guy who had connections in other sports and offered more money yet they chose to go with Gordon/Win...speaks volumes.

thebigredv

First Grade
Bumping this for a trip down Mary Memory Lane, just over a year ago before the fatal error. Feel free to read through, it will prove the fans were adamant. It was almost unanimous - NO, DON'T EXTEND! - and yet the board were set in their ways about to sign us up to failure, misery and complete financial disarray. It was the most convenient choice, showed absolutely no vision, and based on no favourable statistical grounds.

ATTN STGI BOARD: Listen to the fans now. Sack him immediately, do not let money dictate. The Dragons will not be lost, the Australian public wouldn't let it happen. Set up a fundraiser, have a sausage sizzle, plead to let Flanagan take the role... Do what you get paid to do and give us a hope in hell at standing as a proud, successful club again.

Last edited:

Warabrook saint

Juniors
Bumping this for a trip down Mary Memory Lane, just over a year ago before the fatal error. Feel free to read through, it will prove the fans were adamant. It was almost unanimous - NO, DON'T EXTEND! - and yet the board were set in their ways about to sign us up to failure, misery and complete financial disarray. It was the most convenient choice, showed absolutely no vision, and based on no favourable statistical grounds.

ATTN STGI BOARD: Listen to the fans now. Sack him immediately, do not let money dictate. The Dragons will not be lost, the Australian public wouldn't let it happen. Set up a fundraiser, have a sausage sizzle, plead to let Flanagan take the role... Do what you get paid to do and give us a hope in hell at standing as a proud, successful club again.
It was done at the behest of the one with the most power as a favor to mary

thebigredv

First Grade
The poll is proof.

86% of Dragons fans could see where McGregor was leading our team.

The gutless, brainless board acted on complete ignorance and wound themselves up into this situation where we now all must endure a coach...

who can't fulfil the role,

who sucks fun from the footy,

who bleeds us dry of cash in the name of selfishness,

and who compounds it all by dragging the red v through the mire of lies and deception all to save a few bucks.

The fans, who knew better, who gave McGregor a decent shot, have to sit there and 'support' this mirage of a club.

The years preceding and ensuing this have been the worst; some of the most uninspired and unmemorable strings of performances in my living memory. There have been losses and there have been lows in the past but nothing that comes close to the torture of sitting there knowing the team is not able to compete in the comp.

When the fans are allowed back I urge anyone: DO NOT GIVE A RED CENT to this corporation. The board don't care for the fans. Each day we are treated with more and more contempt. The board don't even trust that we can get them ten folds their million if they just show us they are prepared to reinstate us with a quality coach...as a frickin sign that the red v is worth fighting for.

Rant over... until the next.

grouch

First Grade
NO
I bet you about now the Warriors Supporters feel the same about Kearney.
They extended him when there was on need to. No other club was going to chase Kearney as well as no other club is going to chase McGregor.
If we extend McGregor it could be the worst decision in the clubs history.
This post aged well
Yes, who is the alternative? Outside of Bennett, Bellamy & Robertson who else has a proven record? The betting I think it was 3 seasons ago we were one of the favourites for the wooden spoon and yet we made the semis in 8th position. No doubt our mid seasons slide down the ladder has to be addressed but I would have no confidence in any other coach except for Bellamy to solve this huge problem. Even under Bennett in his 3rd year of his contract we were raging hot favourites to go back to back, Bennett announced he was leaving for Newcastle and the team was never the same. Last year leading up to the SOO we were premiership favourites with a pack of forwards that were easily the best in the competition and were rewarded with many SOO selections. After that they switched off and poor old Benny Hunt lost confidence when those dirty cane toads blamed him for losing the series. This year will be tough with no JDB and possibly Widdop for the season. I'm voting yes to extend because McGregor has at least got us playing semi footy which some other clubs would be very envious of and there are no stand out alternatives knocking on the door.
This one did not

possm

Coach
I don’t hang around here much anymore but...is possm still alive?
I am fine BennyV, thanks for your concern. Currently confined to my possm pen due to Corona Virus restrictions, I'm looking foward to being released on Jul 1.

In my opinion, the NRL should investigate the corruption at SGI and suspend the Club's NRL licence until democracy is installed. SGI needs to be recognised as an enity with members who have voting rights. Only in this way will club officials be held accountable for their actions and decisions.

Mary and Millward are in their positions only because of deals done in the past. It's is long past time for a clean-out and a fresh start. The sale to WIN Corp and the Gordon's should never have been approved by the NRL. Their bid was not the highest and it appears that deals done were not in the interest of SGI.

In addition, the NRL should allow Flanagan to be appointed as head coach on his current salary. The reduction in salary being sufficient punishment for his past indiscretions.

SGI fans need to come out and protest loudly else our great club will face doom and gloom for the foreseeable future. We need a leader, an alternative voice to the spin and disconcern offered by the Chairman of the Board. Alll rugby league fans should be called upon to boycott WIN TV.

Latest posts