What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

should ricky ponting step down as captain after ashes loss??

should ricky ponting step down as captain after ashes loss??

• yes, he should hide in shame

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • no, hes doing a good job just unlucky/no other captain options

Votes: 6 37.5%

• Total voters

whalan12

Juniors
wat do ppl think?
i think he should keep being captain, he was pretty unlucky during the ashes, although he did make a couple of poor decisions. but if we had of won that first testwe would have retained the ashes, and we should have won that one.
should he be forgiven?

Last edited:

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I have never rated him as a captain, but ATM there really is no one else. And Ponting is still a world class batsman who we can't afford to lose. If he loses the captaincy he may give away. The selectors are a different matter...........

beads6

First Grade
Pup is ready but Ponting isn't ready to go. Ponting isn't a great captain but I have no doubt he trys his guts out every game.

stupidhumour

Juniors
Whether I like it or not (I can't believe I'm saying this) Clarke seems ready. Use this as an opportunity to make the neccessary changes - rebuild. No reason Ponting can't still score another 4 thousand runs - and be there to 'mentor' Clarke. Ponting has never been a captainanyway so nothing will be lost - only gained.

beads6

First Grade
I'd like to see Ponting retire from one-day and 20/20 cricket though. It would give us a chance to see Pup really take charge of a side and teach Ponting how it is done.

simmo1

First Grade
Keep him as captain. He's not the best captain we've had, but he's the best we've got at the moment.

Clarke is still 2 years off IMO. Let him keep scoring runs as he is, and by the time Ponting retires he'll probably be the best bat in the team (if he already isn't) and ready to take on the extra responsibility.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
as long as he is in the team, he'll be skipper

we are not like the poms and some other teams who change captains all the time

Eelectrica

Referee
Hussey should be captain.

couch.gif

Ridders

Coach
I have never rated him as a captain, but ATM there really is no one else. And Ponting is still a world class batsman who we can't afford to lose. If he loses the captaincy he may give away. The selectors are a different matter...........

Spot on. There is no way you can take the captaincy away from him without him just pulling the plug. Given the condition of our batting ranks, we don't have the luxury of dropping someone, who while being a fading force, is still at an elite level.

Slackboy72

Coach
His captaincy is not good enough fullstop. That raises the question who do we replace him with?
Clarke? Seems to concerned with living the Bingle lifestyle for my tastes.
Katich? What captaincy credentials does he have? Untested and already 34.
Haddin? I have doubts about him being keeper in 4 years time.
Hussey? He has some smarts but his form hasn't indicated he has turned a corner and thus escaped the chop.

Hanscholo

Bench
The bloke is a failure as captain, and has been for nearly five years. He doesnt pick the right sides, his tactics are bland, he attacks when he should defend and defends when he should attack. He is just out of his depth.

I take it that he wont step down, because he was considering coming back in four years time. I take it that meant he would be captain still.

Hanscholo

Bench
as long as he is in the team, he'll be skipper

we are not like the poms and some other teams who change captains all the time

Actually, unless your 15-25 we have changed captains quite a lot during the non golden era. Certainly, losing the number of test series we have is more than enough to move the captain on.

The thing we learnt most about putting border in is that having the right captain is essential to being succesfull in test cricket. You dont just go with the best batsman in the side, we made a horrendous mistake not giving it to either Gilchrist or Warne.

Eddie.

Bench
Never thought that Ponting was a great tactician, but not many are. Look at Struass, just a good solid bloke by all accounts, modest and calm, lead from the front with runs, these qualities are more important then simply being a good tactician. With Ponting and the younger squad Australia has, they clearly look up to him and respect him. He is a good leader in that regard.

The one thing im happy about is how Ponting has been bought down afew pegs. Yeah we like his street fighting qualities however he talked alot of smack in the media when he was surrounded by adream team, verging on disrespect for opponents. He was arrogant and borish at times. Now he is out there trying to win games by himself. It has made him a better man. I reckon, a more respected man on the whole.

Keep him for another 18 month unless Warne wants the gig, then bring in Clarke,I reckon Ponting is more popular team man then Clarke, thats why I would keep him on.

Last edited: