What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should schif be captain 07

Should Schif be captian in 07

• Yes

Votes: 26 72.2%
  • No

Votes: 10 27.8%

• Total voters

Bay56

First Grade
jed said:
broken%20record.jpg

jed please respect some of the younger members on this forum ... they wouldnt even know what that thing is :lol:

and anyway jed you've got it wrong ... it would be a scratched record you should be posting

edabomb

First Grade
I'm not too keen on Schif staying captain, but there aren't exactly any viable alternatives.

Besides, it is hardly certain that he is staying. In fact I'd say it's still 50/50.

Kris_man

Bench
I agree it doesn't look good when our captain is considering a release from his contract, in fact I think it looks terrible. But to me, this is the symptom rather than the disease - it is my speculative opinion that the Raiders are not a very well run club, and because of that, things like this tend to happen.

In saying that, captaincy doesn't mean much in rugby league; it's not like cricket where the captain actually holds the power to make important decisions. If you're talking about inspiration, on or off field, then you certainly don't need a (c) next to your name to provide that.

reptar

Juniors
Kris_man said:
In saying that, captaincy doesn't mean much in rugby league; it's not like cricket where the captain actually holds the power to make important decisions. If you're talking about inspiration, on or off field, then you certainly don't need a (c) next to your name to provide that.

Yes. The captain attends the toss, and if they win makes a decision on whether to kick off or not or run north or south. And then, the ultimate in responsibilities, and the most joyous of experiences, they get to talk directly to Russell Smith, or some other tosser.

Bay56

First Grade
reptar said:
Yes. The captain attends the toss, and if they win makes a decision on whether to kick off or not or run north or south. And then, the ultimate in responsibilities, and the most joyous of experiences, they get to talk directly to Russell Smith, or some other tosser.

... and dont forget the media guys at the press conference ...

pretty easy job really as long as you can string more than two words together without an "arh" and have more in your vocab than "we gave it 110%"

hrundi99

First Grade
raidersforme said:
I dont know any normal fan who is on the wages of good players 150k+.
You cannot compare workers to professional Athelete's.

The avg worker is on 60-80k they might get perks of company car or mobile

The Professional athelete gets the 150k+ plus the gets the following that joe the worker is denied to.

Personal sponshership, appearance money, will ge given the car to drive, has a profile which launch's them into media or other high paying job (consultant or coach) good luck to them getting all these things i don't begrudge.

A person of 340k per year is on $6538.46 P/W with the right financial planning they could offset there tax to peanuts and keep it all plus they get there personal sponshership and any other paid promotion or job

So more money is greed managed well both finacial and agent wise i can't see why a 340k a year player isn't earning net $300k all inclusive

That's a silly argument.

He has a special talent to earn a higher salary than you or me. There are only limited numbers of men capable of getting a regular gig in the NRL or in other well paid professional sports. Professional sportspeople get paid what they do because they have a positive effect on their club's ability to achieve good results and attract revenue from supporters and sponsors.

Supply and demand. If you're jealous that you don't earn as much, then work harder, enhance your skills and look for a higher salary. If you don't get paid $340k, then accept the fact that you don't have the God-given ability to play professional sport.

Would you begrudge a doctor their salary just because it's higher than yours?

Why is it that people want to place professional sport in this vacuum where players aren't entitled to maximise their earning potential, just like anybody else in the community? Just because they wear your team's badge on their chest doesn't mean they have to be club tragics the way you are. Some of you are living in a dream world.

edabomb

First Grade
Well, I'd think 340k and the supposed passion Schif has for playing in green would be another to keep him here. It's not as if he is on paydirt at Canberra, in fact by NRL standards we are paying big time overs for him. I don't have a problem with Schif lookinh for a better deal and moving on. I have a problem with him taking a three year deal and accepting the captaincy and then looking elsewhere after one season because of this clause.

If it was Howell flirting with switching codes using his get out clause would everyone be so forgiving? I reckon there'd be 10 pages of people telling him to piss off by now.

Bay56

First Grade
Marc Herbert [CNTDN] said:
Well, I'd think 340k and the supposed passion Schif has for playing in green would be another to keep him here. It's not as if he is on paydirt at Canberra, in fact by NRL standards we are paying big time overs for him. I don't have a problem with Schif lookinh for a better deal and moving on. I have a problem with him taking a three year deal and accepting the captaincy and then looking elsewhere after one season because of this clause.

If it was Howell flirting with switching codes using his get out clause would everyone be so forgiving? I reckon there'd be 10 pages of people telling him to piss off by now.

agree

I dont begrudge a sportsman getting what is deserving of his talent ... but one that attempts to use a "get out" clause in attempting to do same I do ... stick to your contract which the club extended itself to fulfill in the first place

PRKLCD

Juniors
Why can't clubs have a clause in contacts like players?

I would like to see withers contact reduced cause he isn't producing :D

raidersforme

Juniors
hrundi99 said:
That's a silly argument.

He has a special talent to earn a higher salary than you or me. There are only limited numbers of men capable of getting a regular gig in the NRL or in other well paid professional sports. Professional sportspeople get paid what they do because they have a positive effect on their club's ability to achieve good results and attract revenue from supporters and sponsors.

Supply and demand. If you're jealous that you don't earn as much, then work harder, enhance your skills and look for a higher salary. If you don't get paid $340k, then accept the fact that you don't have the God-given ability to play professional sport.

Would you begrudge a doctor their salary just because it's higher than yours?

Why is it that people want to place professional sport in this vacuum where players aren't entitled to maximise their earning potential, just like anybody else in the community? Just because they wear your team's badge on their chest doesn't mean they have to be club tragics the way you are. Some of you are living in a dream world.

Read what i said please you will see that i don't begrudge i have said it already

My point was purely there was a comparision to workers changing jobs for a higher pay i was pointing out difference's to workers changing and not getting added benefits please read in future the post not just get half way through what i say

BTW thanks for your concern about my income level but it's doing fine

dubby

Bench
raidersforme said:
Read what i said please you will see that i don't begrudge i have said it already

My point was purely there was a comparision to workers changing jobs for a higher pay i was pointing out difference's to workers changing and not getting added benefits please read in future the post not just get half way through what i say

Obviously, if you think the average wage is 60-80k per year! According to the ABS its $52k approx.

I think you're argument is shallow and one sided.

I agree with hrundi's comments.

Chachi

Bench
Call me a farkwit (again), but IMO Choc gets everything he deserves from disgruntled fans. I give him kudos for standing up and being honest about wanting to leave to play Yawnion for the worst team in the Super 14's if they coughed up enough cash. Unfortunately for Choc he opened his big mouth before the deal was done - and he'd have to be a complete fool if he thought the average fan would be cool with the consequenses.

I congratulate all of you who take the high philisophic approach to the earning capacity of sportsmen, but the reality for me is that those sportsmen get every dollar they make from the fans (whether it be gate takings, TV revenue, merchandise, sponsorship etc etc). Bugger me if that doesn't give us the right to feel p!ssed off if our captain says "Thanks for the $350K, had a great time while it lasted, but to be honest I'd prefer to be elsewhere."

I think Choc is a great player, a passionate Raider and probably a nice guy, but I also think his captaincy skills in this situation leave a lot to be desired. That alone gives raidersforme the right to ask the question without being abused.

Bay56

First Grade
And that is the exact point that I am making Chachi

great post btw

no hang on ... I might just follow another team next year ... I mean their season tickets cost less and they have better seats

hrundi99

First Grade
raidersforme said:

In that context, what does it actually have to do with this topic?

It came across as a rant against tax minimisation.

Good for you.

raidersforme

Juniors
hrundi99 said:
In that context, what does it actually have to do with this topic?

It came across as a rant against tax minimisation.

Good for you.

On point 1 you have given again out of context, it was a rant for tax minimisation i said it to point out that the more money you have the more you can deduct and effectively reduce tax, that the average joe worker has no way of doing the same, i was replying to a post where what schif is doing is comparable to a avg worker leaving his job to upgrade pay.

On point 2 again out of context it was referred that i was jealous of what schif makes and i begrudge him being to earn that or get more, which is far from the truth.

My grudge with schif is he accepted deal, accepted captaincy, halfway through his maiden year as captain he is instructing his manager to look elsewhere, and get me the best deal long term.

So in effect this means to me Raiders i'll take the extra money for this year, have captaincy on my cv as well, but will leave in a heatbeat for something with more money and longevity

Sometimes i wish i could erase the last 48 hours but can't it's out he wanted it and as the poll is going along i am not the only one which was the only reason for poll to see if others have lost as much respect/faith in our captain

Tokyo_Raider

Juniors
There are a lot of people here being very, very hard on Shif.

He and I are about the same age. We earn a about the same amount of money. I would consider leaving my job for fresh horizons and more income. Why the hell should I hold this man to higher standards than to which I hold myself?

Of all the people who have had a go at Shif - Would you yourself not change jobs for another $50kpa? What about $100kpa? $200kpa?

If you can honestly - honestly - say that you would not, then go ahead and criticise. Then imagine your nice new home, great new car and that super cappucino maker that you always wanted...all the things this new income would buy.

Seriously. You'd take it.

Stop being a hypocrite.

Bay56

First Grade
Tokyo_Raider said:
There are a lot of people here being very, very hard on Shif.

He and I are about the same age. We earn a about the same amount of money. I would consider leaving my job for fresh horizons and more income. Why the hell should I hold this man to higher standards than to which I hold myself?

Of all the people who have had a go at Shif - Would you yourself not change jobs for another $50kpa? What about $100kpa? $200kpa?

If you can honestly - honestly - say that you would not, then go ahead and criticise. Then imagine your nice new home, great new car and that super cappucino maker that you always wanted...all the things this new income would buy.

Seriously. You'd take it.

Stop being a hypocrite.

and would you sell your grandmother in the process T_R

You seem to have missed the point mate .... I dont begrudge a player earning what he is worth ... what I object to is using a "get out" clause to achieve those aims ... when his contract is up he can look for greener pastures no worries ... until then he abides in good faith to the contract he signed.

So T_R would you break a contract in search for more money.

Tokyo_Raider

Juniors
Bay56 said:
and would you sell your grandmother in the process T_R

You seem to have missed the point mate .... I dont begrudge a player earning what he is worth ... what I object to is using a "get out" clause to achieve those aims ... when his contract is up he can look for greener pastures no worries ... until then he abides in good faith to the contract he signed.

So T_R would you break a contract in search for more money.

My answer is the same as yours and everyone's, Bay.

Depends how much money.

Besides, he's not breaking a contract. He is abiding by its clauses in good faith.

Latest posts