What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should Steve Kearney coach Parra ?

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I don't think this is great news for the Kiwis. If he can't get the Eels up week to week with their roster, how is he going to get us up for one-off matches and tournaments?

Fast Eddie

First Grade
I don't think this is great news for the Kiwis. If he can't get the Eels up week to week with their roster, how is he going to get us up for one-off matches and tournaments?

What do you mean? This is great news for the Kiwis, he can give them his full attention. As he said at the press conference the first thing he is going to do is to convince those fence sitters like Kasiano to play for the Kiwis. I have no idea what this 'getting them up' means but the Eels are a complete shambles of a club with a bad roster so I'm not sure why they would be easy to motivate. I mean feel a little bot bad for old Steve but really this is some of the best news all year, a full time Kiwis coach. Especially with the World Cup next year.

"The upside of him coaching in the NRL is that it keeps him up to date and keeps him in that high-end environment of activity," Doyle said.
"But the downside is that we lose connection with a lot of Kiwi players, it's difficult to get senior leadership groups together, to plan the future and to connect with Junior Kiwis - guys like Sam Kasiano.
"I don't think the All Blacks lost a great deal by Graham Henry not being a Super 15 coach."
Kearney has enjoyed more success with the Kiwis, leading them to 12 wins from 22 games, and the countries first ever Rugby League World Cup title.
Doyle stressed the difference between the two roles.
"When Stephen works with the Kiwis in the Kiwi environment it is completely different to Parramatta.
"The player roster he has got available is completely different to Parramatta or any other NRL club. Stephen's success rate with the Kiwis has been relatively high."
Doyle said they had discussed plans for Kearney to move back to NZ full time even before he signed with Parramatta.
"We've got plans to continually grow the game, so to have someone of Stephen's abilities in the country, coaching Kiwis but also having time to spend with other coaches to improve their capabilities has always been part of our thinking."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10820931

Last edited:

Aragorn

First Grade
Sad to see a once great club in such disarray. Booting Kearney seems stupid.

It was only a matter of time. If he was a CEO of a major company, no way would they have waited this long before giving him the boot....

sorry Steve, you're probably a great guy, but a terrible coach.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
What do you mean? This is great news for the Kiwis, he can give them his full attention. As he said at the press conference the first thing he is going to do is to convince those fence sitters like Kasiano to play for the Kiwis. I have no idea what this 'getting them up' means but the Eels are a complete shambles of a club with a bad roster so I'm not sure why they would be easy to motivate. I mean feel a little bot bad for old Steve but really this is some of the best news all year, a full time Kiwis coach. Especially with the World Cup next year.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=10820931

I don't want to sound too harsh on this, but is the above really true ?

"Hi, I am a kiwi legend with an NRL winning record of 21%, wanna come play for me bro"

He is potentially a hard sell as somebody to play under, especially if Meninga is doing the same

Aragorn

First Grade

"Hi, I am a kiwi legend with an NRL winning record of 21%, wanna come play for me bro"

He is potentially a hard sell as somebody to play under, especially if Meninga is doing the same

You're not being harsh Beaver.

Fast Eddie should pull his head out of his arse and feel the sunshine.

Claiming SK losing his job is one of the best news all year so that he can be a full time Kiwi coach is ridiculous. He couldnt influence any of the players in his team to play to their potential, what makes people think he can influence players to play for the Kiwis? perhaps pity could be one angle.... as for coaching.. he cant coach, and shouldnt need to for people playing in the national team.. he needs to be able to motivate, inspire and think up of game winning plays....couldnt do it for parra.. cant see him doing it for the Kiwi's...harsh, but true.

TheDMC

Bench
Gosh, after all the Eels Board 'support' for Kearney during the year - multi-year plans and all that - they then dump him. We talk about player loyalty to clubs - ie SBW lack thereof, but really they are all the same - clubs, players etc...

Aragorn

First Grade
Gosh, after all the Eels Board 'support' for Kearney during the year - multi-year plans and all that - they then dump him. We talk about player loyalty to clubs - ie SBW lack thereof, but really they are all the same - clubs, players etc...

mate, the news says he's walking - not being pushed or fired by the board. Not the same as SBW's runner unfortunately.

TheDMC

Bench
well I'm definitely not putting words into his mouth.

Quitting as Eels coach was best option for me: Kearney

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-me-kearney-20120720-22e3t.html#ixzz218qQdawP

No your not, but your been taken hook, line, and sinker...

I'd bet my four houses and luxury yacht that it panned out something like this:

Board: "Steve, sorry mate but we can't continue on like this, the members demand a change. We are going to look for a new coach. We will make it as easy as possible. On Friday, you'll announce you are resigning. We'll all say that it was your decision, based on the recent stress and what's best for the team etc. The usual bullshit, y'know the story. We'll look after you financially, don't worry."

SK: "Uh, okey dokey"

Fast Eddie

First Grade

He is also an International coach with a World Cup and Four Nations title (I know I know Bennett blah blah) but that and what you said is beside the point really.

What I was saying is that he now has the time to go and see players like these individually in person for example, or go see players in the under 20's system, maybe hold more of those Junior Kiwis camps. No surprise in Origin that NSW are so keen to keep Stuart as a Origin coach only. And for what it is worth all I've seen from most Kiwis players is how much they like him as a bloke and a coach, plus it's not like he is trying to convince them to play under him, he is trying to convince them to play for their country. I'd say he is a pretty well respected guy in the game.

LeagueNut

First Grade

Actually I'd be interested to see Meninga's win % when he was coaching the Raiders - from memory it wasn't that flash. Just highlights the differences between club coaching and rep coaching I guess.

ozbash

Referee
Actually I'd be interested to see Meninga's win % when he was coaching the Raiders - from memory it wasn't that flash. Just highlights the differences between club coaching and rep coaching I guess.

And the importance of a supportive board.

jaseg

Juniors
Wikipedia says Meninga had a coaching record at the Raiders of 53%, while Kearney's at the Eels was 22% - but there's a crucial difference; Meninga had a brilliant squad (headlined by the likes of Ricky Stuart, Laurie Daley, Brett Mullins, Ruben Wiki, Bradley Clyde, Jason Croker, Ben Kennedy, Ken Nagas, David Furner etc etc) while Kearney had a seriously bad one.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Kearney doesn't have an awful squad.

And on the basis of tonight, has one that should have produced a lot more but knew they could put in half-ass efforts, and get away with it.

The old coach fired, guys fire up trick. Always an indictment on the players.