What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should that be Wallace's last first grade game?

What does everyone think? should we persist we him in the 6 jersey for the rest of the season ? or is it time to blood someone else?

personally I think that should be his last game of first grade , i think we have to be realistic here. We really dont have much of a chance to win the premiership ( although i would never give up hope) so we should really be getting combinations together for next year.

Offcourse if we were in the top 4 it would be a different story.

Ps, well done to Wallace for putting egg all over the faces of the panthers management , they truly look like goats right about now.

smitty

Juniors
i think as long as he is playing as well as he did last night, he should stay in first grade. but if he starts to drop off then drop him. why shouldnt we get the most out of him as we can. maybe if we get to the last few rounds and we are no hope of making the finals, then bring some others in

Big Mick

Referee
f**k him off to PL now...and Clinton.

Penrith paid Wallace through his 3 season ending injuries the last three years and have treated him like gold giving him a walk up start this year.

Then the little turd goes out and signs with the Bronco's.

can't blame him but $200k a season he is not worth that.

But I thought the Bronco's were under "salary cap pressure"...having to let go the likes of Tate and Berrigan...

yet they sign Clinton for $300+ and Wallace for $200k...amazing.

Kilkenny

Coach
Big Mick © said:
f**k him off to PL now...and Clinton.

Penrith paid Wallace through his 3 season ending injuries the last three years and have treated him like gold giving him a walk up start this year.

Then the little turd goes out and signs with the Bronco's.

Your one of the very few to make a very relevant point which appears to have escaped 99.9% of supporters who only seem intent on bagging off our management.

The club certainly stuck by Peter Wallace when others may not have been so patient.

Perhaps Peter could have been a little more patient and perhaps repaid some of the loyalty shown to him in the last two seasons. I dunno........

The one thing I do know for sure is the minute Peter has two less than perfect back to back games for the Bronco's there will be no loyalty and he will be shipped off to there feeder club.

*Sandy*

First Grade
Braveheart needs to show consistancy.

I sat and watched that game last night and got more and more annoyed at him. Why in hell couldnt he have played like that the other weeks?

If he doesnt play like that next week then put him down to Premier. He's gotta work out who he wants to play for first.

PEPPSY

Juniors
I believe he should be treated like any other player. If his form is down, drop him...if its good, keep him in the side. If he is playing great week-in, week-out and his combination grows with Gower..it could well lead us to a top 8 finish.

Redback71

First Grade
What does everyone think? should we persist we him in the 6 jersey for the rest of the season ? or is it time to blood someone else?

personally I think that should be his last game of first grade , i think we have to be realistic here. We really dont have much of a chance to win the premiership ( although i would never give up hope) so we should really be getting combinations together for next year.

Offcourse if we were in the top 4 it would be a different story.

Ps, well done to Wallace for putting egg all over the faces of the panthers management , they truly look like goats right about now.

all depends if you want to make the finals or not.

McCrud

Juniors
Big Mick © said:
But I thought the Bronco's were under "salary cap pressure"...having to let go the likes of Tate and Berrigan...

yet they sign Clinton for $300+ and Wallace for $200k...amazing.

This year we will lose:

Tate

Berrigan

Thorn

Carlaw

And it remains a distinct possibility that Petero or Hodges could leave...

So we will lose 4 (maybe more) and gain 2.

EzyG

Juniors
Loyalty being fairly scarce these days, In my opinion
the club should use their inform players week in week out regardless of how many starts as a panther they have had or when they are leaving the club.

In saying that I beleive Wallace & Clinton played their way into this week against the Bunnies.

If their leaving, its disapointing, but so what

Their winning at the moment & thats great to watch.

Annoying as it is, the way they played last friday, it looked as though their confidence has been boosted from interest of other clubs. Bit of $$$ & they are playing out of their skins.

Panther

Juniors
I want Panthers to win football matches and if Wallace is the best 5/8 we have then I say leave him there for the rest of the season.

EzyG

Juniors
Panther said:
I want Panthers to win football matches and if Wallace is the best 5/8 we have then I say leave him there for the rest of the season.

Thats what I'm trying to articulate

Thanks

Dave Q

Coach
I'm afraid I'm seeing it in the same light as Big Mick...to a point anyway.

The club may have to wear some contributory negligence but at the end of day, Wallace and Clinton have skanked the club.

When all was said and done it appears that they gave very little consideration to the hundreds of thousands of dollars that the club has spent on them in direct and indirect care, nurture and nourishment. I am not talking just cashish in their ever-fat tening walletts.

Nor the support they recieved from the Panther cadre, officials, employees, members and fans for a number of years. In Wallace's case, in the critical and vulnerable formative years of his career.

Wallace was but a struggling tadpole before the Panthers lifted him up to being one of the most sought after players in the game. Few other players have enjoyed such a concentrated and generous investment (and patience over injuries..thanks murraymob) in their favour.

Only to see him sulk off to the Bronco's chasing a fast car lifestyle and money to burn.

And in the midst of promising year as well.

Why bother developing any players under the current system of easy betrayal? Nope the system is fugged.

I recall that Elliot was excited about the opportunity to coach Wallace and contribute to his game. He couldnt be too impressed. I thought they had a good relationship as it turns out, someone was lying.

Who can forget the initial confrontation between Elliot and Clinton. It was Elliot's way of motivating Clinton, its taken some weeks but he has been playing overs for the last few weeks hasnt he? Someone was lying.

But having said that, as unpalatable as it is, you have to choose your best players for each game.

This season is well and truly alight for the giant-killing panthers, it would be a shame to deny yourselves an opportunity of a finals berth.

If that means turning the other cheek and swallowing some pride, then I say, so be it.

Your best team must play.

panthersballboy

Juniors
I think while we are in contention for the 8 and he is playing the way he is playing Wallace should be the first grade 5/8. If his form slips or we definitely cannot make the semi's, yes blood another youngster and build for 2008.

As for Big Joel, he has been the heart and soul of our forward pack for a number of years now and deserves to see out the season in his beloved number 8 Jersey.

Dave Q

Coach
panthersballboy said:
I think while we are in contention for the 8 and he is playing the way he is playing Wallace should be the first grade 5/8. If his form slips or we definitely cannot make the semi's, yes blood another youngster and build for 2008.

As for Big Joel, he has been the heart and soul of our forward pack for a number of years now and deserves to see out the season in his beloved number 8 Jersey.

I wouldnt have an argument with that, a good compromise position.

Kilkenny

Coach
I am confident Matt Elliot will pick his best 17 each week until we have no mathmatical change of making the eight. I hope this doesn't eventuate and Wallace is our 5/8 in our grand final side.

Munky

Coach
I think the real problem goes back to 2005 and signing Preston for the extra one year.

Preston's form was hopless back in 05 and didn't really improve in 2006. 2006 could have been used as a roving ground for the likes of Wallace or Trindall. The one major irony of 2006 is that Wallace blew his knee out the week Gower decided he could play at 25% fitness vs Melbourne.

If Gower had sat out that match who knows where we would be now. Wallace may have had more chances with club extending his contract earlier rather than later.

I think it says something about Wallace's potential that after a knee reconstruction he is playing well where as guys like Matt Head and Brett Firman have gone from future stars to lucky to play premier league after knee injuries.

The one thing I don't understand about Wallace going to the Broncs is why Penrith took so long to start negotations.

Peejay13

Juniors
To be totally honest, i still don't know why they don't give young Jarrod Sammut a go in first grade.
I know he's only young but has real talent and has played all the junior reps. He was in premier league most of last year plus played in the Flegg grand final winning team as well !!
I got to coach him briefly at Doonside when he was only 16, playing in my under 19's and he was a touch of class above everyone then. He might be small, but he has a great tackling technique, good kicking game, and a smart footy brain. Best of all he's down to earth, easy to coach, and a natural 5/8th to boot. Not a manufactured one. GIVE HIM A GO PANTHERS, HE'S JUST WHAT YOU'S NEED !!!!!!!!!