What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should the draw favour certain teams?

TiTTieS_[CNTDN]

Juniors
The way the draw is structured these days, teams who are expected to have a lot of players in the origin get byes at that time of the year. Good examples are the broncos, roosters, dragons, bulldogs and newcastle.

The problem here lies for those teams who don't get many (or any) players selected for origin. And because origin makes players better for the experience which, in turn, helps out their team, shouldn't the draw just be random?

Effectively, we are making the rich richer and the poor poorer, yet everyone is always saying how the competition is closer this year, and they say it every year

pcpp

Juniors
I guess not having byes for certain teams in the origin/test periods would make the games more fair.

lockyno1

Post Whore
If you want the current Origin period, ie. on wednesday nights, it is impossible to think that those teams who provide the vast majority of players should have to play every game during the origin period. This would burn them out. I agree that it does disadvantage some teams, but how many of those sides provide 3 or more origin players? The drain on players in those sides is not as high!!

The situation will not change in the future!

rossy

Juniors
Don't the weaker teams get a chance to play against sides depleted by SOO commitments? If there was no SOO the bottom sides would be further off the pace than they are now.

hemeroid

Juniors
disagree 100

i fink the draw is good

it wuld b unfair to make the broncos in particular play 3 games (3 probly losses) in origin which culd hampen there chance at a top 4 and minor premiership

Razor

Coach
Have the draw totally random

This year the Broncos and Roosters recieved 2 byes
Lasy year the Broncos and Knights recieved 2 byes

Do it randomly. If one side ends up with 2 byes during Origin, then fine, that's still fair,as it was random. But to give a side 2 byes(or 1 bye) is unfair. 1 or 2 players can make a huge difference to a side, and be the reason they lose prior to Origin. Why should a club who has several players out, and a huge difference to the teams performance, be given an advantage?

Mighty Tiger

Bench
It should be a random draw but in saying that sides like the Bulldogs, Dragons, Roosters and Broncos should have at least 1 bye during the SOO period which is fair.

drake

First Grade
The Broncos yes. They consistently make up a portion of the SOO side, so it only stands to reason. As to the others, that depends on form, which is unknown at the beginning of the year when the draw is made.

rossy

Juniors
drake said:
The Broncos yes. They consistently make up a portion of the SOO side, so it only stands to reason. As to the others, that depends on form, which is unknown at the beginning of the year when the draw is made.

So you're saying that it should be drawn in favour of the Broncos? Why not? A lot of things the NRL has done has been using that as a guiding principle anyway.

Has to be kept the way it is now. What would happen if club chose to not let there players play Origin.

The NRL would suspend them from the game that weekend. That club would then be within it's rights to go off to court as they pay the wages for the player not the league. Origin is an invitation to play only. The game is big dollars now and the clubs play that money so why should they be oput at a disadvantage over other clubs. Injuries well they are part and parcel of the game but Origin is different.

The Origin season killed off Brisbane last year and the Roosters team of the last month or so has looked very similar to the Brisbane team of last year.

Mad Dogg

Juniors
The current draw does not favour teams. To me favour means giving an unfair advantage. I would hardly call allowing teams who have a large amount of players unavailable through no fault of their own, to have a bye for that round an unfair advantage.

Indeed, the most unfair thing would be to make them play without half of their team.

The fairest thing would be to have no NRL games that weekend.

Zack DLR

Juniors
I think its crooked.

The teams that provide origin players already have the benefit of having those origin players, and then they get the additional benefit, of getting their 2 byes at a convenient time.

I dont cry too many tears when the broncos always go downhill after origin. The QLD selectors go out of their way to pick broncos when there are better queenslanders available playing elsewhere.

Snoop

Coach
Surely teams such as the Broncos/Roosters/Dragons are disadvantaged during the SoO period. They've gotta have their byes sometime during the season. During the SoO period simply makes sense.

hrundi99

First Grade
Harold Holt said:
I think its crooked.

The teams that provide origin players already have the benefit of having those origin players, and then they get the additional benefit, of getting their 2 byes at a convenient time.

Exactly.

TiTTieS said:
Raiders 2004 said:
What about teams that get say Souths once a year instead of twice?
Care to elaborate a bit?

David Waite and Warren Ryan both talked alot about this sort of thing a few years ago. They mentioned introducing a different points system similar to the Super 12s.

If a strong team gets the Rabbitohs twice, then they are pretty much guaranteed 2 wins. If another strong team gets the Rabbitohs once in the draw, they're only guaranteed the 1 win. I don't mean the Rabbittohs never win, but i think most people understand the point.

Basically, everyone should play each other twice or just once. Or introduce a different points system, where there are bonous points for big wins etc (which im not really in favour of).

Surely

Post Whore
If you want to stack your side full of origin players, well it's plain bad luck if you lose them at origin time.

There should be no favourable draw on the expectation a side will field more origin players than another.

I personally would rather them flick origin to the end of the season, after the finals, i think it impacts too much on the premiership, with injuries, losss of players etc.

Kiwi

First Grade
Ok so how fair is it for say the Broncos to come up against a side with hardly anyone out during origin? The Broncos missing 10 or so and the other side missing 1 or 2. And they lose to a side that they would normally beat, miss the 8 on for and against or by 2 points, miss the top 4 and lose out on alot of money. How is that fair? That would be like penalising the Broncos for developing rep players.

Latest posts