What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should the Kangaroos Jersey be updated?

Should the kangaroos jersey be updated?

• Yes! Absolutely, but don't change the design too much

Votes: 10 14.9%
  • Yes! A complete overhaul is Needed, throw the current desing out the window!

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • No, it's fine. Stick with tradition...

Votes: 50 74.6%
  • I don't really care

Votes: 5 7.5%

• Total voters

strong_latte

Juniors
^
l
l

What do you guys think? Personally I'd like to seem them update it to make it a bit more modern... The current one just looks tired and boring now IMO.
I'm not talking about a HUGE redesign like the horrible 98' Wallabies did (that was a sh*tE jersey), just an update, like Qld did to their Origin jersey in 2004, or like NSW's this year...
GB is a good example. Their new style doesn't stray from tradition, but it makes it look more contemporary and professional.

Its one of Australia oldest, proudest and most iconic jersey designs.

I mean, it just stands for excellence.

I think if there was to be an update I wouldnt mind seeing a small splash of blue in there. A little similar to what the Australian SL jersey was but obviously in keeping with the classic design.

Having said that.....I find it hard to really change the classic design anyway. Maybe the jersey with blue in it could be used for Internationals while the current jersey was used only for Test matches.

yakstorm

First Grade
I am a fan of keeping it the same, since they brought back the coat of arms to the jersey I feel it looks a lot better than the badges it use to have.

Honestly what can you really do to it without changing it too much? One of the things I love about the Roo jersey is you can look back at photos from the last 70 years of international RL, and straight away and go, thats the Kangaroos, whether it is in black or white or colour. The design has only ever had a handful of small changes to it (except 94 which still wasn't a huge change) and I do think it is a design that should be the most recognisable in Australia for national teams.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Keep it as is. Hasn't changed much in its history, looks beaut, and is very recognisable.

btw, I think the first option on the poll is the thin edge of the wedge for the second option.

Are you f***ing serious? Changing the Roo jersey would be the last thing that should ever happen. The tradition surrounding the jersey is one of the few things we've got to be proud of at international level. RL is far too quick to mess with things like this and the result is rarely an improvement - change for the sake of change most of the time. NZ has gone back to a more traditional design of late and it looks great. Even GB saw sense and tried to reproduce a traditional jersey for a while, but of course now they've got a new one again. Those idiots just don't get it. To me changing the Roo jersey would be like the Aussie cricket team deciding they need a change by wearing a baggy gold cap instead. It's just not cricket and it's not Rugby League either. Keep it as it is for God's sake.

strong_latte

Juniors
yakstorm said:
I am a fan of keeping it the same, since they brought back the coat of arms to the jersey I feel it looks a lot better than the badges it use to have.

Honestly what can you really do to it without changing it too much?

Thats why I used the SOO ones as an example. Neither of those have changed much, only been tweaked, but their tweaks have kept the jesey's fresh while also keeping in line with tradition.

Calixte

First Grade
It's basically the same jersey since 1924. Good enough for me.

There have been enough traditions killed off in recent times.

legend

Coach
I've got the 92 Umbro World Cup jersey at home and I love that jersey but not as a permanent replacement for the Kangaroos jersey, easily the most prestigious and traditional of all Australian jerseys. To change it would be to cheapen it.

strong_latte

Juniors
East Coast Tiger said:
Are you f***ing serious? Changing the Roo jersey would be the last thing that should ever happen. The tradition surrounding the jersey is one of the few things we've got to be proud of at international level. RL is far too quick to mess with things like this and the result is rarely an improvement - change for the sake of change most of the time. NZ has gone back to a more traditional design of late and it looks great. Even GB saw sense and tried to reproduce a traditional jersey for a while, but of course now they've got a new one again. Those idiots just don't get it. To me changing the Roo jersey would be like the Aussie cricket team deciding they need a change by wearing a baggy gold cap instead. It's just not cricket and it's not Rugby League either. Keep it as it is for God's sake.

I'm not talking about completely doing away with the current design though... I'm talking about a couple minor tweaks to make it look a bit more contemporary.
Whats wrong with that? The game of Rugby League is a game of evolution, and that evolution has often led to bigger and better things! Why shouldn't the Kangaroo's jersey be allowed to evolve just a tiny bit?

Big Bunny

Juniors
strong_latte said:
I'm not talking about completely doing away with the current design though... I'm talking about a couple minor tweaks to make it look a bit more contemporary.
Whats wrong with that? The game of Rugby League is a game of evolution, and that evolution has often led to bigger and better things! Why shouldn't the Kangaroo's jersey be allowed to evolve just a tiny bit?

Evolution is required when you need improvement or want it. Quite clearly the Australian Test jersey doesn't need it, nor do the majority of fans want any change. It's a classic design. It might seem a little tired to you but what appreciation do you have of the games history and traditions? It means something, unlike the visually dyslexic designs that last for a year or two in the NRL.

hutch

First Grade
i think they should keep it the same, but add the aussie flag on the sleeves.

Meanie

Juniors
Absolutely no reason whatsoever to change it. It'd be change for the sake of change if it happened, and I've never really seen the point in that.

yakstorm

First Grade
From looking at the latest jerseys used, I think the main change I'd make it make the ARL Logo and Coat of Arms a little bit lower so they sit fully on the twin V. If you look at the moment, they seem a bit high, and the material, I'd go back to the full cotton.
PriceLockyer05042205.jpg

The 04 Strip:
De_Vere_M_4042331.jpg

Only slight differences, but I do prefer how the badges sat in 04 than 05.

strong_latte

Juniors
Big Bunny said:
Evolution is required when you need improvement or want it. Quite clearly the Australian Test jersey doesn't need it, nor do the majority of fans want any change. It's a classic design. It might seem a little tired to you but what appreciation do you have of the games history and traditions?

I know it's become a tradition, but the kangaroos jersey has in fact changed 3 times already you know... it's just that we weren't born... and if memory serves me right the reason they changed to the gold V in the first place was because the depression hit and that design required less material.

Anyway, it doesn't look like they've ever considered changing in the last half century, so it doesn't really matter... but I personally would like to see a slight update made to it, in the same way the Origin Jersey's have had slight adjustments.

Big Bunny

Juniors
strong_latte said:
I know it's become a tradition, but the kangaroos jersey has in fact changed 3 times already you know... it's just that we weren't born... and if memory serves me right the reason they changed to the gold V in the first place was because the depression hit and that design required less material.

Anyway, it doesn't look like they've ever considered changing in the last half century, so it doesn't really matter... but I personally would like to see a slight update made to it, in the same way the Origin Jersey's have had slight adjustments.

Like I already said, evolution is usually the end result of necessary changes rather than change for the sake of it. The original Kangaroo jersey was blue and maroon, it was also worn by 'Australasia' rather than Australia, despite the name on the map. So it had to be changed. The second jersey is one I'm fine with, but 75 years in the twin gold chevrons automatically relegates it to being of secondary nature. Tradition is built up over time and its something that can't grow when people neglect it freely.

Jeffles

Bench
I'd like to think that there is something sacred in RL that doesn't have to be changed for the sake of change.

innsaneink

Referee
yakstorm said:
From looking at the latest jerseys used, I think the main change I'd make it make the ARL Logo and Coat of Arms a little bit lower so they sit fully on the twin V. If you look at the moment, they seem a bit high, and the material, I'd go back to the full cotton.
PriceLockyer05042205.jpg

The 04 Strip:
De_Vere_M_4042331.jpg

Only slight differences, but I do prefer how the badges sat in 04 than 05.

What bugs me is how they have the "V"s curling out at the tops towards the sleeves...its wrong.

They should continue on straight up to the shoulder.

Langer%2cA%2000921921_2267951_p.jpg