What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should the NRL buy buy the ESL?

The Great Dane

First Grade
I’m all for the 2 comps working closer together and the NRL helping Super League wherever possible but I’m struggling to think how a buyout would even work.

Winter comp seems like an insane idea given the weather in the North of England. Any idea of any decent player playing a stint in the UK in the NRL off-season is fantasy these days as well.
RL was a winter sport in England until 96, and soccer and union have no issues playing in winter in the UK and even colder parts of the NH.

The real issues with a winter season are that it'd put the SL back into direct competition with the EPL, it'd disrupt the window for internationals (which would be workable, but not ideal), and that there's no way that the RLPA would ever wave their mandatory stand down periods to allow players to play in both comps.

The whole idea is nonsense in reality. It'd be a massive money pit for the NRL, we're talking billions of $$$ massive to do it properly, and the strings that'd come attached to that money wouldn't be attractive to the RFL and SL, or most of the English clubs that matter.

At best the NRL would turn the SL into a glorified feeder league for the NRL, at worst it could do severe damage to the sport and grassroots simply through misunderstandings of the cultural differences between the codes and culture in both nations.

If the NRL is serious about investing in foreign competitions and assets, which, FTR, I doubt they truly are, then NZ and the PI's would be more logical places to start than trying to buyout the ESL.

MugaB

Coach
I can't imagine the poms supporting an international entity buying out their product, even if it is Aussie.
It'd be great to see more coalition from the bodies of both comps though. It would help grow the game internationally.
There's things i like about it, having both content to sell to a broadcaster under one banner, without any issues from the ESL, (due to the NRL would own it and decide) and an extra source of players who could very well port more easily from there, without all the red tape of club dispensations, i mean yes clubs now can go scout there and entice players right now
It might be a better outcome for the sport overall..

I really think they are only doing it to boost the profile of the sport, and its international side of it too, further making RU irrelevant, also while proclaiming that RL is an international game, over its local "national" AFL rival, i mean who is governing ESL at the moment, and are they going to be better run if the NRL is going to implement what they've done here these past five yearssince covid

Vlad59

Bench
There's things i like about it, having both content to sell to a broadcaster under one banner, without any issues from the ESL, (due to the NRL would own it and decide) and an extra source of players who could very well port more easily from there, without all the red tape of club dispensations, i mean yes clubs now can go scout there and entice players right now
It might be a better outcome for the sport overall..

I really think they are only doing it to boost the profile of the sport, and its international side of it too, further making RU irrelevant, also while proclaiming that RL is an international game, over its local "national" AFL rival, i mean who is governing ESL at the moment, and are they going to be better run if the NRL is going to implement what they've done here these past five yearssince covid
Once again St Peter has grabbed the headlines promoting the potential for the NRL to expand to places our major rival can inly imagine.
If this is a serious proposal it would take time to implement and you’d have to think it would be in the nature of a partnership where the ESLs competition would be left as it is for the next few years while its latest reforms are embedded.
That would not stop a raft of strategies bring put in place to promote and implement the benefits of the arrangement to lure sponsors and investment.
I think it works in well potentially with its plans to grow our game in the South Pacific and spread the gospel (according to St Peter) to the USA and beyond.
Locally I believe we’ll implement a participation strategy focussing on all versions of the game to ensure people of all ages can play tag or tackle or touch and be part of the league family. Abdo basically said this last year and I like that thinking.
interesting days ahead.

Canard

Immortal
I'll be honest, there is no way I would trust the NRL to do what's best for the ESL. It would just be turned into a feeder comp, like Dane said.
It would also be a HUGE money pit.

Anyone thinking that the NRL can turn RL in England into one with the profile and revenue of Soccer and Union has NFI

Vlad59

Bench
It would also be a HUGE money pit.

Anyone thinking that the NRL can turn RL in England into one with the profile and revenue of Soccer and Union has NFI
Another one of your straw man arguments I see. Be nice to see some substance to your accusations but, as usual, you level abuse at anyone who thinks differently to you. At least you are good at that. But not much else. Most of what we are doing here is speculating how this might work. It’s great fun. You should try it. Now go on. Call me another nasty name. It’s about all you are good for.

T-Boon

Coach
This is typical of humans in 2020s. This idea has been floated for 24 hours and already the opinions expressed are iron clad. How can anyone have spent more than 10 minutes thinking about this yet? Have a ferking coffee and then get an egg and bacon roll first.
I like the idea of it but I see some problems. Let’s debate it with an open mind for a year.

taste2taste

Juniors
Does the Super League actually make any money ?
PVL said he wouldn't buy Rugby Australia because they don't make money, wouldn't the Super League be the same ?

I’ve read it 4 times already. It was brilliant. The fun of expressing ideas here with a stream of consciousness is that canturd immediately reacts with abuse. I enjoy this immensely!

There are a lot of narrow-minded wankers on this forum who look for a reason to insult those who think outside of the box. It's hypocritical too, because they push for things that are unlikely to happen, yet they try to shut down any hypothetical that they believe is a threat to their preferred vision for the game.

I raised the prospect of expanding into Singapore a year or two ago. It was met with derision by the same people who were against the Dolphins and PNG. Since then I've decided to be ultra conservative since they think it's "stupid" to think long-term and outside of the box.

Canard

Immortal
There are a lot of narrow-minded wankers on this forum who look for a reason to insult those who think outside of the box. It's hypocritical too, because they push for things that are unlikely to happen, yet they try to shut down any hypothetical that they believe is a threat to their preferred vision for the game.

I raised the prospect of expanding into Singapore a year or two ago. It was met with derision by the same people who were against the Dolphins and PNG. Since then I've decided to be ultra conservative since they think it's "stupid" to think long-term and outside of the box.
Expansion to Singapore is objectively a dumb idea

Canard

Immortal
This is typical of humans in 2020s. This idea has been floated for 24 hours and already the opinions expressed are iron clad. How can anyone have spent more than 10 minutes thinking about this yet? Have a ferking coffee and then get an egg and bacon roll first.
I like the idea of it but I see some problems. Let’s debate it with an open mind for a year.
To be fair this idea hasn't even been floated by the NRL or V'landys either. Just FoxSports "unnamed' sources.

At best, it's a shot across the bow to the QRL and NSWRL, by threatening to turn the ESL into a reserve grade feeder comp for the NRL. At worst it's just baseless gossip.

T-Boon

Coach
At best, it's a shot across the bow to the QRL and NSWRL, by threatening to turn the ESL into a reserve grade feeder comp for the NRL. At worst it's just baseless gossip.
I hate reserve grade so in some ways this would be good. NSWRL and QRL become independent of NRL. My old B league idea comes into play.